143-room hotel first in the Strip District

mjcatl2

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^^This is fantastic news, Mj, but PLEASE add your own commentary to any post, you quoted ok but you need something that is yours in your post. Thanks for the info and please add your thoughts, we'd love to hear them!

I am glad to hear it, but knowing Buncher... this is going to be a cookie-cutter hotel. I had a bit of hope that it might actually be nice looking, until I read that it will be a Hampton Inn.

I am also concerned about how and if they'll make use of the riverfront. I actually emailed them about this. If they write back I will let you guys know.

I thought I did Pgh (I guess I didn't) but this was a brief from a PR site, not much else.

this is going to be a cookie-cutter hotel

it's going to have a brick facade, what more can we ask for in a basic hotel from a chain no less?

The hotel is right across the street from the Heinz History Center. On the edge of the parking lots.

Good article in today's PG about the Strip's terminal building:

Can Strip District's historic produce terminal start fresh?

I completely agree that the terminal building should be preserved inside and out. Going around the building isn't that hard.

Though I want to see Strip development... I just don't trust Buncher... look at the crap they've developed in the Strip already... just hideous buildings that are cold and forbidding. Even Seagate (I'm thankful Seagate are here) has a building that doesn't quite fit the urban fabric... it looks like any old suburban office building.

^^Good point Evergrey, any design would have to be approved by city council and although they are loathe to cause delays for a hotel development and a large landowner in the city, I think city planning and city council should be emailed or faxed on this matter to let them know we should see something unique built that will be a treasure to the area.

Once burned twice shy with Buncher . . . they remind me of some of the values we need to shed as a metro to enter the 21st century as a world leader, although I love the "less is more" in my personal life, far too many decision makers on Hollywood Blvd. and Mad. Ave. as well as Wall Street only pay attention if you shine and glitter :(.

But I will pat them on the back that they have matured to developing hotels in Pittsburgh, that is a great sign and should be commended.

I think the building is a relic, not particulary attractive, and really not that useful anymore. I think an enclosed produce/food market would be a much needed improvement. Right now it just looks like an old defunct warehouse. We can't hang on to EVERYTHING!

As to bus routes, they are in need of a little re-routing, probably not removed but it seems there are a lot of empty buses running around. The money could be shuffled towards rail transit that more people are inclined to use because its more efficient.

That is a good idea, I'm not sure why they never continued Ft. Duquesne Blvd. past the downtown core, by the way the hotel should do something for river frontage ala Station Squares ped bridge over the tracks, I am sure since Seagate is a Buncher managed property you could have some sort of skywalk access to a future pier, maybe an extension of the boardwalk in the strip under the Veterans Bridge.

I had gone to a few of the meetings of the Riverlife Task Force Years ago. This was before the Convention Center was completed. It was originally the plan to have Fort Duquesne Boulevard continue to meet with Railroad Street. It would be a great connection. The combination of the Crosstown Boulevard and the rail lines, the Golden Triangle is somewhat detached. All possible connections should be strengthened. I always hoped that Railroad Street would be developed as a wide "urban boulevard" and would actually become Fort Duquesne Boulevard. It was practically a straight shot but Buncher greedily built the Seagate building right in the path. The Task Force then made the connection wind around the building. In my plan it would continue through Lawrenceville and take some of the pressure off Penn, Butler & Liberty. One thing is clear, Buncher is strictly for Buncher.

^^Maybe that will make Pittsburgh retirees choose Somerset instead of Florida :lol:, oh and Somerset is now Pittsburgh, my metroplex definitions are contagious :P.

Anyway back to the topic at hand . . .

I hope they show a little more taste and style than what they have expressed in their Pittsburgh holdings. Somerset has a natural beauty and will prove to be a great draw in the future. I hope Buncher, and their cookie-cutter mind set will not fly out there and will be a detriment to that community and it's flourishing national appeal.

Somerset is not part of Pgh's TV DMA. However, it is adjacent to it and sits inside the small Altoona-Johnstown market. It is fairly common for a small market to have a station (or all of the stations) of a nearby big market in addition to the local stations. However, what stations and where, can vary, since it's not required to be carried.

I can see Altoona-Jtown having some degree of seperation, what I can't stand is the whole Wheeling-Stuebenville-Wierton-E. Liverpool theory that they are a totally different market. Jtown and Altoona are much more removed and farther then Wheeling or E. Liverpool are.

But anyway this is wayyyyyy off topic :)

Archived