Southside Works update

mjcatl2

http://www.popcitymedia.com/developmentnews/ssworks.aspx

Plans for Phase One of the condos call for a 180,000 square foot, 75-unit building
Although the Southside Works has 84 rental lofts and flats, and there are condos nearby, this is the first within the development. Demand is high as the area continues to grow with a mix of offices, retail and residential.

Considering it's from POP, and in turn from the developer, there's a PR spin to it, but the basic news is good in that more housing is on the way.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Glad to finally see that the Southside with it's proximity to downtown is filling in that dire need for residential space. It has been a very long road to reverse that trend to the exburbs but finally Pittsburgh is seeing serious results for all its efforts, Cork Factory, Heinz Lofts, Washington's Landing, Firstside etc. etc. Hope this is the start of the trend.

Hot Metal Bridge update: I saw three guys walking around under the bridge today. Two of them had some papers that may have been blueprints and one wore a hard hat. I am 99% sure they were doing observations related to the upcoming work.

Maybe this means work will begin soon!

Good news G, but I was saddened to learn that the work will take till late September of NEXT year. I didn't realize it was that intensive and comprehensive. I was hoping more for 3-6 months.

I take that back, it very well may be completed this winter or late fall, the PG gives no info on the sch. just to say that: "The contractor has 441 calendar days to finish (around Sept. 30, 2007)." Then again "ahead of schedule" isn't something I'm used to with city projects lately.

South Side hotel plans move forward. South Side's natural transformation prompting it's current popularity and the concentration of restaraunts and nightlife might launch a true concentration of hotel interests. It's a natural!

http://www.bizjournals.com/pittsburgh/stor...t185&hbx=e_vert

I hope they have made some improvements on this last version I've seen. A bit bland, I'd say;

SSW-hotel-pic.jpg

I love the idea of a boutique hotel on Carson @ 17 above the Nakama. I hope they give it a high-design japanese flair. This would be a great trend for the city

Archived