Sig Tower: Hotel Component Discussion

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe a Park Hyatt would do but I would bet TG wants something pretty special. A regular Hyatt would probably be too common. - guess I better start saving now because the only way I am going to get to sleep in ST is to saty in a luxury hotel - lol.

My guess is still "W". That was the original rumor, and I'm sticking with that. If you recall, that rumor also stated that the final height would be 65 stories. They nailed it, and therefore I have to give that rumor a lot of credibility. I'm guessing that Tony G. is in serious talks with "W" already.

Don't remember ever staying in a W... I do like Westin, but I see them as more appropriate for a CC HQ hotel. I like Park Hyatt and Four Seasons. Not very impressed by Ritz or Fairmont. Not much experience with IC.

I think I've only stayed at one Intercontinental Hotel and that was in New Orleans. It seemed nice enough (didn't seem like a luxury one and I wouldn't have put that one on par with Four Seasons by any stretch). I realize you can't judge by one property. Dallas' Fairmont was pretty raggedy when I stayed there 10 years ago. Hopefully, they've updated since then. Isn't Copley Plaza in Boston a Fairmont property. It was a nice (very beautiful) historic hotel. The rooms are large, but damn it was loud there. The sound insulation seemed lacking (not surprising in an old building). Also the plumbing looked original. The bar in front of the lobby was beautiful though.

I have visited a couple of IC's and stayed at the one in Miami. Overall they are nice hotels. You could easily put some of them in the upscale category along with Westin and Hilton. I think their name says it all. Intercontinental - they're an international brand of the old school sort.

The Park Hyatt Chicago is awesome. I could see a hotel like that being in ST. I would also like to see Conrad.

The Park Hyatt Chicago is awesome. I could see a hotel like that being in ST. I would also like to see Conrad.

Actually, I think that the Park Hyatt Chicago looks a lot like the original design of the Signature Tower! If I knew how to post a picture on this site, I would.

Actually, I think that the Park Hyatt Chicago looks a lot like the original design of the Signature Tower! If I knew how to post a picture on this site, I would.

Could be the work of Lucien Legrange. He has a very standard look.

I'll take a stab at it:
  • Ritz Carlton - LUXURY

• Four Season - LUXURY

• Intercontinental - LUXURY

• W - Upper Upscale

• Westin - Upper Upscale

• Hyatt - Upscale

• Hotel Indigo - Upscale

• Twelve - Upper Upscale (could be different as this brand is new and slightly different than most in this category)

Stayed in the Twelve 3 weeks ago. Definately not upper upscale. Don't get me wrong it's nice, but it's really like staying in a friends's apartment who is out of town. It was also built buy Novare's residentail contractors. Someone did not really go through the punch list. The buildout of the rooms was somewhat shoddy. Cool lobby. Small lobby bar. It will be converted to Condo's at some point in the future I'm sure. The rooms were stubbed out for a washer/dryer.

Sounds like Novare is hedging their bets on the viability of Twelve.

On another note your description answered another one of my nagging questions. I wondered how the hell The Viridian interior was going to finished out in time for people to move-in during the fall.

I see where Mandarin Oriental has announced that they will be opening a hotel in Dallas. It's an 11 story hotel topped by an additional 32 stories of condos. Sounds a little bit like the Signature project with a shorter condo tower on top. Maybe Tony should talk to them. They're 5 star all the way!

I wouldn't look for Starwood to have a piece of ST. I just read an announcement regarding Starwood's immediate departure from condo/hotels. Now that may just mean one of their hotels with a few condos mixed in. The article did not expand to greatly on different types of scenarios.

I wouldn't look for Starwood to have a piece of ST. I just read an announcement regarding Starwood's immediate departure from condo/hotels. Now that may just mean one of their hotels with a few condos mixed in. The article did not expand to greatly on different types of scenarios.

Hadn't heard that announcement but it doesn't surprise me. I was at a national res/hotel conference in AZ a month ago and the consensus seemed to be that maybe the bloom was starting to come off the rose for hotel condos, especially outside of premium vacation markets like Aspen, Miami, NYC, etc.

Archived