What is the best zoo in Tennessee?

soverbey

What is the best zoo in Tennessee?  

75 members have voted

1. 1. What is the best zoo in Tennessee?

• Knoxville
    • Chattanooga
    • Memphis
    • Nashville

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Which city in the state of Tennessee has the best zoo? I'm not even all that sure if Chattanooga has one, but I'm guessing they do. As for other cities, these are the only ones with zoos right?

Yes, Chattanooga has a small one. It has come a long way since the '80s though.

I would say any other zoo in the state would hard press to be considered better than Memphis, esp. now that it has the Panda exibit and will soon regain its Polar Bear exibit. Thats not to say Nashville and the other zoos in the state aren't great zoos, but Memphis is a pretty top notch zoo.

Memphis is the clear winner. Their zoo is a top tier zoo in the US. Nashville's Zoo got a late start and is becoming an excellent zoo. The Knoxville zoo is is a darn good zoo, and I'd rate it ahead of Nashville's today. Chattanooga's is quite small, but is getting better. At least that's what I've heard. I still haven't seen it yet, despite the fact I've lived here more than three years.

Memphis isn't just one of the top in the south, it's one of the top in the nation. I think it might fall behind Atlanta and Audobon (haven't been to either, but they have nice reps). And the theme park ones aren't really accurate comparisons.

It's so landlocked though (even though the master plan shows room for expansion). I'd like to see them spin off the aquarium and aviary into another location/attraction, like the Audubon zoo. Except for that, where do you go? Into the parking lots?

The improvements aren't stopping with NW Passage either. The Zoo recently announced plans for Teton Trek.

Clobber, you forgot the San Diego zoo which is hailed as the best in this country.

I've only been to Zoo Atlanta. My wife has been to the one in Memphis and Nashville as well as Atlanta. She says Memphis and Atlanta are more comparable as Nashville did get a late start (actually, they had a zoo west of town, but Grassmere is fairly new.

I would say Memphis is probably better (just guessing since I personally have never been), but I would agree that Nashville's zoo has the most potential. The concept here isn't caged animals, but an attempt to replicate these animals natural habitats. Since they are just now getting Giraffe's, I have no idea how long it will take this zoo to grow, but with the other growth in the area, I would say in 10-20 years, Nashville should have one of the premier zoo's in the country.

Clobber, you forgot the San Diego zoo which is hailed as the best in this country.

I've only been to Zoo Atlanta. My wife has been to the one in Memphis and Nashville as well as Atlanta. She says Memphis and Atlanta are more comparable as Nashville did get a late start (actually, they had a zoo west of town, but Grassmere is fairly new.

I would say Memphis is probably better (just guessing since I personally have never been), but I would agree that Nashville's zoo has the most potential. The concept here isn't caged animals, but an attempt to replicate these animals natural habitats. Since they are just now getting Giraffe's, I have no idea how long it will take this zoo to grow, but with the other growth in the area, I would say in 10-20 years, Nashville should have one of the premier zoo's in the country.

- The concept at the Memphis Zoo is not one of caged animals either, however the last time I went to the Nashville Zoo it seemed to be. The new polar bear exhibit is one of the best natural habitat formats for a zoo that i have ever seen...quite impressive

The Murfreesboro Zoo. I vote it the best zoo in Tennessee. Sike! It's a nice concept, though. I do admire the Discovery Center at Murfree Springs. There is a nice wetlands area with cool wildlife and you may sit and watch all day for free.

The concept here isn't caged animals, but an attempt to replicate these animals natural habitats.

I think all modern zoos are taking this approach. I really like the nocturnal animals exibit at the Memphis Zoo. Its in a dark "cave structure with completely clear glass. Its fun taking a visitor because its scary because from a distance, it looks like the bats are loose :lol: The bird sanctuary is also pretty cool.

I am not going to vote in this one because I have not been to any of the zoos. I do concur with the comments about Nashville having a lot of potential. I read in one article that Nashville has hundreds of acres to expand and could be one of the largest in the nation. They have a ways to go.

San Diego, St. Louis, Omaha aren't in the South. I wasn't clear that the only cities I was mentioning were those in the South. [edit: i.e. Memphis ranking behind maybe Atlanta and Audobon in the South, but beyond the South, maybe ranking behind others which I didn't venture to mention]. That's my bad. There are so many great zoos in the country. National Zoo isn't bad either. SD and StL are pretty vast also, if I remember correctly. Don't remember Omaha or National Zoo.

I'd like to see Memphis go the route of Audubon, and try to use nearby facilities for satellite exhibits (i.e. Aquarium or aviary in a nearby structure at Overton Park). I would never want it to have to move from its present location. Quality, not quantity baby.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Why did the Nashville Zoo move from its old location to Grassmere?

Since I'm not a resident of Tennessee I may not know the whole story, but from what I know it had something to the merger of the Grassmere foundation with the original Nashville Zoo society. Also from what I know they wanted the zoo closer to Nashville's DT but with space to grow.

• 1 month later...

Since I'm not a resident of Tennessee I may not know the whole story, but from what I know it had something to the merger of the Grassmere foundation with the original Nashville Zoo society. Also from what I know they wanted the zoo closer to Nashville's DT but with space to grow.

The only zoo I've visited I would rate ahead of Memphis is the San Diego Zoo. The Knoxville Zoo is nice and has a lot going for due to the oversight from the University of Tennessee. Warner Park Zoo is the Chattanooga zoo and it is very small and primitive by today's standards, but has really improved since it almost closed in the late-70's/early-80's era. I haven't been to the Nashville Zoo, since it is recent I assume its facilities are good but has a long way to grow to meet the standards of the Memphis Zoo.

The Nashville zoo actually has one of the top breeding programs in the nation. This is because there are actually 2 Nashville zoos. The old Grassmere zoo that was located out of town was kept solely as a breeding location for the animals and this has yielded pretty impressive results. I remember reading a few years back that they were one of the few zoos in the world to get some type of tigers to breed.

That being said, Memphis certainly has a more developed exhibition area. However, considering that Nashville still has not built out much of it's exhibition zoo and has 2 large locations for the animals, I have to give it my vote. Potential matters :thumbsup:

The Nashville zoo actually has one of the top breeding programs in the nation. This is because there are actually 2 Nashville zoos. The old Grassmere zoo that was located out of town was kept solely as a breeding location for the animals and this has yielded pretty impressive results. I remember reading a few years back that they were one of the few zoos in the world to get some type of tigers to breed.

That being said, Memphis certainly has a more developed exhibition area. However, considering that Nashville still has not built out much of it's exhibition zoo and has 2 large locations for the animals, I have to give it my vote. Potential matters :thumbsup:

See THAT's what I tried telling my school back in the day. But they still wouldn't make me valedictorian. :angry:

Just kidding. But I think there is a difference between achievement and potential. Memphis hasn't just developed more, they've put it on a very, very high level. I don't doubt Nashville's potential in the least. But there are a few world class zoos with less acreage than even Memphis. So size isn't everything . . .

The Murfreesboro Zoo. I vote it the best zoo in Tennessee. Sike! It's a nice concept, though. I do admire the Discovery Center at Murfree Springs. There is a nice wetlands area with cool wildlife and you may sit and watch all day for free.

Where is Discovery Center located? I wouldn't mind going before classes begin.

Pertaining to the topic, Memphis Zoo is quite remarkable. I went on Tuesday since it was free and man that place was packed. I had to go twice and that gorilla was literally sitting in the same spot with her arms folded.. priceless..

Archived