What is the best zoo in Tennessee?

soverbey

What is the best zoo in Tennessee?  

75 members have voted

1. 1. What is the best zoo in Tennessee?

• Knoxville
    • Chattanooga
    • Memphis
    • Nashville

I've been to a number of other zoos and the Memphis Zoo is one of the best in the country! I've never been to Nashville's zoo, but from looking at it on the website it doesn't look too bad. It still has a very long way to get to where the Memphis zoo is though.

• 4 weeks later...

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Where is Discovery Center located? I wouldn't mind going before classes begin.

Pertaining to the topic, Memphis Zoo is quite remarkable. I went on Tuesday since it was free and man that place was packed. I had to go twice and that gorilla was literally sitting in the same spot with her arms folded.. priceless..

It's located at the Maney Avenue/Broad Street intersection, or next to BBC Motors. The actual museum is kid-themed, but the wetlands walkway is worth the visit. The landscaping is superb.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Friends,

As a bit of a "zoo enthusiast," I've visited about 25 U.S. zoos (maybe 30) and the Toronto Zoo. I was born in Memphis and have been to the Memphis Zoo at least 15 times over the years (I'm 45). Have been to Knoxville Zoo once (I was very impressed) and the Warner Park Zoo in Chattanooga twice (the first time was depressing; the second time I was VERY pleased at the improvement. I've visited the Nashville Zoo (at its present location) about 20 times.

Here's my take:

1. Memphis. Hands down the best zoo in the state. Wonderful setting along North Parkway and in Overton Park. Very small and loaded with interested exhibits. Has most of the "big-ticket" animals. Great vibe. Near some nice residential streets, which would allow some folks to walk to the zoo. Reminds me in some respects of the Lincoln Park Zoo in Chicago. Could be one of the 20 best zoos in the nation.

2. Knoxville. A VERY underrated zoo. One of the better in the Southeast. Some sections and specific exhibits are big league. Strong overall animal collection and a respected history of leadership and public support (from what I know). However, I'm not a fan of this zoo's general location and the surrounding area.

3. Nashville. Strong potential for growth (lots of unused acreage) and a visionary leader in Richard Schwartz. The entrance is fabulous with lush bamboo, greenery, mccaws, gibbons and playground. Located in South Nashville -- home to the city's international community -- means the diversity of visitors is always strong. Every visit is like a walk around the world. But NOT in a pedestrian-friendly area, which hurts the charm of the overall setting.

4. Chattanooga Zoo. A great example of a quality small zoo. Better collection of animals than you might anticipate. Not far from downtown and in a fairly "old school" urban area, which I like. If the Warner Park area redevelops over the next 15-30 years with good building and people density, this could be a cool urban zoo.

ESU/WW

Archived