Film production in SBC

For as long as I can remember, Shreveport-Bossier has never been much of a "movie-making" place. The infrastructure just wasn't in place here for making major motion pictures. But all that has changed in the last year, after Hurricane Katrina forced numerous productions out of New Orleans and into Shreveport-Bossier.

Recent films made here include Premonition (Sandra Bullock,) The Guardian (Kevin Costner and Ashton Kutcher,) and the FX television series Thief (Andre Braugher.) Also, Kevin Costner is currently in the area making his next film, Mr. Brooks. FYI: the season finale for Thief was last night, but I'm sure FX will continue to air reruns.

Now, the SBC area is being scouted as a potential site for the big-screen version of the TV series 'Dallas,' starring John Travolta and Jennifer Lopez. Read the full article about this here.

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The producers for the big screen version of Dallas were in Baton Rouge recently scouting sites for the production.

Yeah, the article mentioned that as well. I read the article at The Advocate, and they mentioned now that shooting has wrapped up in New Orleans, they have to decide what area to go to now. Both Baton Rouge and Shreveport have built soundstages now, so I have no idea which way their decision will go. There are so many options either way.

^It's great to see all of the film production going on in SBC, and all over Louisiana. It seems like there's a new major movie starting production somewhere in Louisiana every week now.

^It's great to see all of the film production going on in SBC, and all over Louisiana. It seems like there's a new major movie starting production somewhere in Louisiana every week now.

I think it's awesome. Whether it's Shreveport, New Orleans, Baton Rouge, or podunk rural Louisiana, it all benefits the state and further enhances the quality of life. Every different industry this state can add to its resume makes this area somewhat more attractive to other companies in that industry. Diversity is key, and these days I truly believe that Louisiana is finally right there with the rest of the southern states in diversifying our economy.

Thanks Brian for the "Hollywood-South" updates. Until you joined in on the forum, I was unaware of Shreveport's surge in the movie industry. Good for all of Louisiana !

Where exactly is Podunk ? I can't find it on mapquest. With a name like that, I bet they have a really good basketball team at their high-school. ha just kiddin

Thanks Brian for the "Hollywood-South" updates. Until you joined in on the forum, I was unaware of Shreveport's surge in the movie industry. Good for all of Louisiana !

Where exactly is Podunk ? I can't find it on mapquest. With a name like that, I bet they have a really good basketball team at their high-school. ha just kiddin

Are you kidding about the basketball team or about not knowing where Podunk is... ?

Also, I was reading on IMDB (movie source website... I believe it stands for International Movie Database, but I'm not certain) about the production, Mr. Brooks. There is a message forum on there and someone mentioned that Costner had purchased a home in Shreveport. As far as I know, this is just a rumor someone posted on that website, but I do know that in a recent Times article, he mentioned he'd basically fallen in love with this area and that's why he was moving his Mr. Brooks production here from Portland, OR. He mentioned his favorite attraction here is the Bass Pro Shop and that you can find him in there all the time. I just might have to start going back to Bass Pro, just so I can find the perfect photo op!

I have a source with ties to the Shreveport Regional Airport, and it's been confirmed to me that comedian Dane Cook, who will co-star in this movie, arrived last week and is scheduled to wrap up within a month and fly out in June.

• 2 weeks later...

"Without Santa," an NBC "Movie of the Week," starring John Goodman (Dan Connor from Roseanne,) is set to begin production at the StageWorks facility in June. Yes, during the hot days of June in Louisiana, it will be "snowing" inside the StageWorks facility. Movie magic, gotta love it.

The ESPN movie, "Ruffian," just wrapped up filming in the area as well.

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/apps/pbcs.d.../605160325/1002

• 2 weeks later...

In today's Time, there's an article about new classes coming to Shreveport (in additiona to Baton Rouge and New Orleans) to train lawyers and accountants in entertainment practices. Just another way the film industry is making deep roots in Louisiana.

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/apps/pbcs.d.../605270359/1064

And to think, I completely skipped over that article. Thanks for posting that, man. Sounds like Hollywood is in Louisiana to stay... let's just hope other states don't follow suit with these tax incentives.

• 2 weeks later...

^Wow, very cool. Isn't Costner looking at buying a house in the SBC area? I've heard quite a few of the celebrities that have been filming movies up there have been very pleasntly suprised by the area and like the people and surrounding area quite a bit. That's great to hear. :thumbsup:

^Wow, very cool. Isn't Costner looking at buying a house in the SBC area? I've heard quite a few of the celebrities that have been filming movies up there have been very pleasntly suprised by the area and like the people and surrounding area quite a bit. That's great to hear. :thumbsup:

Who'd have thunk it, huh? Of course it took a disaster to get major productions to film here, even after years of trying by the local film commission, but it seems to have worked out afterall.

And yes, it's true that Costner was considering moving here. One rumor said he'd even already made his purchase but I doubt that to be true. All I do know is, he's had nothing but rave reviews for his treatment here and I think that's great.

^Here's something I was wondering...

Is it easy to spot some of the celebs around town in Shreveport? Would you maybe see Demi Moore and Ashton Kutcher at a restaurant in town or something like that? I believe I read somewhere that one of the stars up there(Costner?) can be seen in the Bass Pro Shop in Bossier City often.

^Here's something I was wondering...

Is it easy to spot some of the celebs around town in Shreveport? Would you maybe see Demi Moore and Ashton Kutcher at a restaurant in town or something like that? I believe I read somewhere that one of the stars up there(Costner?) can be seen in the Bass Pro Shop in Bossier City often.

Yep, Costner said his absolute favorite spot here is the Bass Pro Shop and that you can see him there quite often. He's an avid outdoorsman and has even been on numerous guided hunting trips in the rural areas of north Caddo Parish, between Shreveport and the Arkansas line.

Ashton, Demi, Costner, Jimmy Fallon, Sandra Bullock, Dane Cook, and many other celebrities have been spotted at local eateries. Basically it's easy to run into these people if you dine at Superior's Steakhouse a lot... which most of the population doesn't, because a meal there can easily run between $50-$100/person. But Jimmy Fallon, during his stay here months back, was reported to have eaten at the Bossier City location of El Chico almost nightly. He was also known to partake in a few "adult beverages" downtown at the Blind Tiger on the weekends as well.

Ashton, Demi, Costner, Jimmy Fallon, Sandra Bullock, Dane Cook, and many other celebrities have been spotted at local eateries. Basically it's easy to run into these people if you dine at Superior's Steakhouse a lot... which most of the population doesn't, because a meal there can easily run between $50-$100/person. But Jimmy Fallon, during his stay here months back, was reported to have eaten at the Bossier City location of El Chico almost nightly. He was also known to partake in a few "adult beverages" downtown at the Blind Tiger on the weekends as well.

That's really cool. Is Dane Cook doing any comedy acts up there? I would seriously drive from New Orleans to Shreveport to get to one of his live shows, I love that guy. Absolutely hilarious. :D

That's really cool. Is Dane Cook doing any comedy acts up there? I would seriously drive from New Orleans to Shreveport to get to one of his live shows, I love that guy. Absolutely hilarious. :D

I wish the Funny Bone would book him to do an act, but he's actually here right now filming in Costner's movie, Mr. Brooks. Dane Cook has been in quite a few movies lately, so he's really branching out from comedy.

I wish the Funny Bone would book him to do an act, but he's actually here right now filming in Costner's movie, Mr. Brooks. Dane Cook has been in quite a few movies lately, so he's really branching out from comedy.

I knew he was in "Mr. Brooks" but for some reason I thought that movie had finished production. I sware I saw Dane Cook on Bourbon Street at Mardi Gras this year, but then again, that was after I had a few drinks. :dontknow::P

I knew he was in "Mr. Brooks" but for some reason I thought that movie had finished production. I sware I saw Dane Cook on Bourbon Street at Mardi Gras this year, but then again, that was after I had a few drinks. :dontknow::P

You never know... New Orleans' Mardi Gras is a huge draw.

And Mr. Brooks is still in production through this month I believe. I've been wrong before, but I believe that to be true.

Archived