Film production in SBC

The third major movie announcement for Shreveport in just the last 2 weeks...

The sequel to the movie 'Harold and Kumar Go to White Castle,' which will be titled 'Harold and Kumar Go to Amsterdam,' will be shot almost entirely in Shreveport.

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/apps/pbcs.d...NGNEWS/61030025

Wow, keep in up, Shreveport. Do you guys think the movie industry is there to stay? Shreveport has definitely built up a reputation for itself... kind of like the snowball effect - the more movies that film there, the more that follow suit.

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, keep in up, Shreveport. Do you guys think the movie industry is there to stay? Shreveport has definitely built up a reputation for itself... kind of like the snowball effect - the more movies that film there, the more that follow suit.

I'd like to think so. But with Baton Rouge and New Orleans both building new studios, the competition is getting even more intense. Although I must say New Orleans really isn't in much competition with the rest of the state, because they will always be a natural draw for some films.

I am very aware that the local group running the movie studio here has basically unlimited funds. One of the partners lives in a nearly 30,000 sq. ft. home (yes, you read that right... nearly 30,000 sq. ft.) just outside of Shreveport and is extremely loaded. One of the other partners is retired NBA star Karl "The Mailman" Malone, and with the investment they have in StageWorks, I think it's here to stay. I honestly believe they'll stop at nothing to compete with the rest of the state and the country for these major films.

I'd like to think so. But with Baton Rouge and New Orleans both building new studios, the competition is getting even more intense. Although I must say New Orleans really isn't in much competition with the rest of the state, because they will always be a natural draw for some films.

I am very aware that the local group running the movie studio here has basically unlimited funds. One of the partners lives in a nearly 30,000 sq. ft. home (yes, you read that right... nearly 30,000 sq. ft.) just outside of Shreveport and is extremely loaded. One of the other partners is retired NBA star Karl "The Mailman" Malone, and with the investment they have in StageWorks, I think it's here to stay. I honestly believe they'll stop at nothing to compete with the rest of the state and the country for these major films.

Wow. Aren't there plans to construct a full-service post production facility in Shreveport? Maybe the plans are to expand on StageWorks, but I think I remember something about a couple of investors building near the port. Does that sounds familiar?

Wow. Aren't there plans to construct a full-service post production facility in Shreveport? Maybe the plans are to expand on StageWorks, but I think I remember something about a couple of investors building near the port. Does that sounds familiar?

I found this blurb in a recent Times article:

"TurnKey Louisiana has discussed developing a Shreveport-based production and post-production services facility."

Turnkey, as I just learned from a google search, supplies digital camera systems, lighting equipment, editing systems and post-production equipment to out-of-state production companies. Even with the competition, production announcements for Shreveport have not been slowing.

At a ceremony in Baton Rouge tomorrow, Lt. Governor Mitch Landrieu will honor the city of Shreveport for its assistance in helping maintain Louisiana's film industry during Hurricane Katrina.

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/apps/pbcs.d.../611070329/1002

It really doesn't hurt that we've got our own thing going now either! Let's keep it up, Shreveport, and let's always step up to the plate when south Louisiana needs the north's help! Hurricanes are going to occur, and we can always do our part to soften the blow of these disasters even a little.

Here is a short story from the Shreveport Times about The Louisiana Wave Studio (the 750,000 gallon wave tank) that The Guardian was shot at.

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/apps/pbcs.d...NGNEWS/61110019

It says they are also planning to build a post-production facility and soundstage. It is deemed phase two and three. They also said they are in "heavy acceleration" on these projects!

Here is a short story from the Shreveport Times about The Louisiana Wave Studio (the 750,000 gallon wave tank) that The Guardian was shot at.

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/apps/pbcs.d...NGNEWS/61110019

It says they are also planning to build a post-production facility and soundstage. It is deemed phase two and three. They also said they are in "heavy acceleration" on these projects!

Thanks for posting that article jcasey. A new soundstage and post production facility would definitely solidify Shreveport's place in Louisiana's film industry. Looking forward to that production announcement!

The Louisiana Wave Studio also said they expect to make a major announcement regarding a film within the next 30 days. Hmmm... :)

They said it's estimated that 10 water-based films costing at least $100 million each are made every year. They're hoping to get in on at least one of these major films and they have already received inquiries from Paramount, Warner Brothers, Dreamworks, and Fox.

That's pretty awesome that they have already been contacted by those companies. I guess somebody is noticing Shreveport!

Looks like it! I think it's awesome as well... looking forward to more major feature films! $100 million and up is awesome, considering The Guardian cost $90 million and was a great, VERY professional film.

• 2 weeks later...

Just watched you guys on ABC....I didn't know so much production was goin on down there. My only problem with ABC's report is that they made the city seem like a small town.....although they cleared it up at the end with "this small city". Still thats really great for you guys.

Just watched you guys on ABC....I didn't know so much production was goin on down there. My only problem with ABC's report is that they made the city seem like a small town.....although they cleared it up at the end with "this small city". Still thats really great for you guys.

ABC huh? That's awesome to know that we are getting national exposure!!! What else did the spot say about us? If it didn't say so, we have everything from tv series (ex. FX's Thief) to major movies (ex. The Guardian) being filmed here. Kevin Costner actually has filmed two movies here. We have had a fair share of celebrities here recently.

I'm curious as well. What program on ABC mentioned our area? Was it ABC News?

I heard a guy call from Shreveport on BOB and TOM the other day ahaha I was like eh? and they mentioned Shreveport on ESPN when talking about John David Booty the other day.

Wellz....they mention how there was a production shift from New Orleans after Katrina and how the movie stars can move around alot more freely in the city. They also mentioned the city could serve as "anywere USA" which is another reason it's becoming so popular. They had serveral skyline shots as well. It was ABC news...the 7pm broadcast but im gussing 6 as you guys are Central TIme. They were reporting from what looked like Bossier City and also a very nice neighborhood with tree lined streets. The Gurdian was one of the films mention as well.

Wellz....they mention how there was a production shift from New Orleans after Katrina and how the movie stars can move around alot more freely in the city. They also mentioned the city could serve as "anywere USA" which is another reason it's becoming so popular. They had serveral skyline shots as well. It was ABC news...the 7pm broadcast but im gussing 6 as you guys are Central TIme. They were reporting from what looked like Bossier City and also a very nice neighborhood with tree lined streets. The Gurdian was one of the films mention as well.

Sounds very nice actually.

And really, to people from cities much larger than Shreveport, it does kind of seem like a small town. I try not to think of it that way, but I can see how others could view it that way.

The city served as New York for the recent movie Factory Girl, and is going to also serve as New York in the Jessica Simpson movie, Blonde Ambition, which began filming today.

This year alone we've been Kodiak, AK, a town in Oregon, New Orleans, New York... what's next? :lol:

Wow, very cool! Thanks for posting this, Johnny.

I love how MSN also refers to Shreveport as "this once-quiet river town." :lol: Considering Shreveport-Bossier is a major regional gambling hub boasting 14 million visitors per year, I'd never thought of this place as quiet.

The article is very nice, nonetheless; and it went on to say the following about the industry's move into Shreveport-Bossier:

"The result: Almost $300 million in film production in Shreveport this year, and at least a dozen more movies filming here next year."

Looks like a bright future to me! Millennium Films has made a committment to Shreveport that the city never could have even dreamed of just two years ago. They are currently filming their second feature here, and will begin on their third as soon as this one wraps.

I only hope that one day the little comments like "because for some reason the paparazzi just can't seem to find Shreveport on a map" (speaking of a metro comprised of 400,000 people) will subside.

Wow, very cool! Thanks for posting this, Johnny.

I love how MSN also refers to Shreveport as "this once-quiet river town." :lol: Considering Shreveport-Bossier is a major regional gambling hub boasting 14 million visitors per year, I'd never thought of this place as quiet.

The article is very nice, nonetheless; and it went on to say the following about the industry's move into Shreveport-Bossier:

"The result: Almost $300 million in film production in Shreveport this year, and at least a dozen more movies filming here next year."

Looks like a bright future to me! Millennium Films has made a committment to Shreveport that the city never could have even dreamed of just two years ago. They are currently filming their second feature here, and will begin on their third as soon as this one wraps.

I only hope that one day the little comments like "because for some reason the paparazzi just can't seem to find Shreveport on a map" (speaking of a metro comprised of 400,000 people) will subside.

Wow! Shreveport has seriously hit the jackpot! No new news, but the fact this is national news is very exciting! Congratulations Shreveport, all of your hard work is paying off.

This must have been the news video that noneck was referring to yesterday. It seems it was NBC not ABC.

Yeah that's what I was thinking. Probably just said the wrong station. I watched the ABC News broadcast on the internet last night and there was no mention of this, so this must be the one.

Archived