Film production in SBC

I like the cool new look of the forum. Very nice!

From Louisiana Movies Blog today:

National Public Radio aired the following today:

Katrina Fails to Halt Louisiana Film Business

Lafayette appears to be upping its bid for more movie business:

Film industry beckons: Lafayette seeks to join ranks of 'Hollywood South (The Daily Advertiser)

This is more evidence that Louisiana continues to gain traction in the film industry. The second story also suggests that competition between cities inside Louisiana will continue to heat up.

Shreveport is only briefly mentioned near the end of the NPR broadcast, but is mentioned several times in the Daily Advertiser article.

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like the cool new look of the forum. Very nice!

From Louisiana Movies Blog today:

National Public Radio aired the following today:

Katrina Fails to Halt Louisiana Film Business

Lafayette appears to be upping its bid for more movie business:

Film industry beckons: Lafayette seeks to join ranks of 'Hollywood South (The Daily Advertiser)

This is more evidence that Louisiana continues to gain traction in the film industry. The second story also suggests that competition between cities inside Louisiana will continue to heat up.

Shreveport is only briefly mentioned near the end of the NPR broadcast, but is mentioned several times in the Daily Advertiser article.

last night I started my night class at BPCC.. I'm taking an entry level photography class.. we went on a tour of the media floor... I was speechless.. it is unreal! I was told that it was one of the most advanced media centers in the whole country!!! our teacher told us that they have other schools from the west coast come in and help set up different things.. and that their tongues drop when they see all the toys that BPCC has.. big screen plasma tv's in the classrooms a digital darkroom with over 30 computers with dual monitors... monitors alone costs 3500 each.. a printer that costs 8500! anyhoo that wasn't the most impressive part.. We were told that they were playing a huge part in all the movies being filmed here.. that was why all the technology was there.. I thought that was really cool! sorry for rambling!

OH MAN!! I just came here to post the Prison Break news! I hope this happens. Prison Break is one of the most high-rated shows on TV, and the only show I'll plan a Monday night around. I wonder if any upcoming episodes from this season will be set in Shreveport, or if they're just filmiing there or a while. For those of you who don't watch the show, a team of escaped convicts involved in a government conspiracy cover-up are being hunted around the country by the secret service and FBI, and episodes have been set in many states. It's so clever and well-written. Speaking of which, the 2nd part of season 2 premieres this Monday, Jan. 22! :yahoo:

Sorry about trying to steal your thunder SBC, i didn't realize you had posted the news that i just put up here.

I guess i should read the thread before i post something that i think is new news.

Should have guessed that you would be on the ball, as usual.

Mudbugger

Hey, man, things like that happen!!! :) Don't worry, even if you hadn't noticed it, I wouldn't care. When something is newsworthy, it's natural to want to post it.

And even MORE movie-related news!!! MovieMaker magazine has ranked Shreveport-Bossier as "the sixth best place to 'live, work and make movies!'"

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/apps/pbcs.d...00359/1002/NEWS

It really doesn't get much better than an honor like that for a combined city of 260,000.

That's amazing news for Shreveport. New Orleans didn't even make that list! I've already set myself up a reminder to buy the winter issue of MovieMaker magazine. I looked up last year's list on their website, and they do whole city profiles, covering all their major film production highlights.

I'm curious about this other bit of news regarding LeBrun-Mooring's resignation. Is there some political bitterness in the air b/c Glover appointed Arlena Acree at the director of film, media, entertainment of SBC? Obviously LeBrun-Mooring has been a vital player in luring the film industry to SBC, and now that it's there it seems abrupt that she's resigning. Someone give me the scoop... I don't get to hear the local gossip. By the way, what is Acree's political reputation in SBC? I know she ran for major, but...

That's amazing news for Shreveport. New Orleans didn't even make that list! I've already set myself up a reminder to buy the winter issue of MovieMaker magazine. I looked up last year's list on their website, and they do whole city profiles, covering all their major film production highlights.

I'm curious about this other bit of news regarding LeBrun-Mooring's resignation. Is there some political bitterness in the air b/c Glover appointed Arlena Acree at the director of film, media, entertainment of SBC? Obviously LeBrun-Mooring has been a vital player in luring the film industry to SBC, and now that it's there it seems abrupt that she's resigning. Someone give me the scoop... I don't get to hear the local gossip. By the way, what is Acree's political reputation in SBC? I know she ran for major, but...

Acree had been Hightower's Economic Development Coordinator (I believe that was her proper title.) She was the one who helped lure all the businesses he took credit for. I'm almost certain that LeBrun-Mooring's resignation is over Glover's appointment of Acree to a post similar to the one LeBrun-Mooring was already doing a good job with.

Acree had been Hightower's Economic Development Coordinator (I believe that was her proper title.) She was the one who helped lure all the businesses he took credit for. I'm almost certain that LeBrun-Mooring's resignation is over Glover's appointment of Acree to a post similar to the one LeBrun-Mooring was already doing a good job with.

Will Acree, in your opinion, do a good job in her newly appointed position?

Will Acree, in your opinion, do a good job in her newly appointed position?

Man, I wish I had an opinion on that. I will say she did a great job (in my opinion) at luring new developments to the city. Like Hightower, she's good at selling... so there's a good chance she can do well at this. But we're dealing with movie production companies here, not Target or Best Buy! This will probably be a task for her, so I hope she's up to it.

So far I'm VERY pleased with Glover (this coming from a man who would have voted for Jones if I could have voted in Shreveport) and I hope to be pleased with Acree as well!

Going back again to the MovieMaker magazine Top 10 List news, I've been doing a little research on just how important and prestigious it is. Apparently, this isn't just some throw-away laundry list assembled overnight. Filmmakers all over the country take this list very seriously, which is why it was released early at the Sundance Film Festival - people want to know the best cities to culminate their craft. Here's a blurb on how the Magazine's editors compile the list each year:

In compiling our list of the 10 best places to make movies, we speak with hundreds of people-film commissioners, directors, writers, actors, location scouts, etc.

Here is a link to a KTBS story about the "Dallas" movie. It says that the movie has halted because many of the actors have pulled out but much of "Dallas" is tentatively set for filming in Shreveport. The story also sites something more troubling to me; the Texas legislature is looking to fund a film incentive bill. Dallas Film Commission director Janis Burklund says this could move the entire movie to Dallas. What does everyone think this would this mean for Shreveport if this bill passes???

'Dallas' could still be filmed in Texas

Okay, enough about Texas. For now.

Andre Braugher, the star of the FX series Thief, which was filmed mostly in Shreveport after Katrina pushed the production upstream, will also be the start in Stephen King's The Mist. The Mist will be filmed in Shreveport.

A quote from Andre Braugher, courtesy of The Times:

I am up late tonight and caught something cool on tv. The re-air of The Tonight Show from last Wednesday, January 24th, with Sienna Miller is on. She was talking about her new movie, Factory Girl. I caught the end of the interview. They ran a clip and then Jay asked her where it was filmed, and of course she named Shreveport. She also mentioned that she had fun here and how it was great being in a small place. I guess it's just a little more national recognition for Shreveport.

Archived