Welcome to Charlotte signs

Everyone knows Charlotte unfortunately suffers an identity crisis. Sure, it has gotten much better over the years but many smaller towns and cities seem to have that "first name only" recognition that Charlotte still lacks. Creating an identity is not an easy task for any city though. Sometimes, it just happens on it's own, either through it's people, culture, an iconic structure (ie: St. Louis arch), or simply it's location.

What if every major roadway entering the Charlotte city limits had a large, arched welcome sign over the road? OK, my photoshop skills aren't the best but this photo will give you an idea of what I mean. Is this tacky? Too retro? Plain ole ugly? Soothing? I know this isn't a "new" idea by any means but I kinda like it. Any thoughts?

welcome2chlt.jpg

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

04816122523_interchange_web.JPG

Daytona_Beach_Sign.jpg

hell even myrtle beach has one

Boys_Front_Of_Myrtle_Beach_Sign_2004_018.jpg

no I don't know who these kids are only thing I could find, North Myrtle has a better sign that goes over the highway.

I agree we need one of these, I just wish we could designate ourselves without a sign, these are two examples form FL, crappy pic on the first one, I would love to have something like this, the only sigh that is different in anyway, is the one at the airport, and technically you are still in charlotte

Well, the airport could use some new signage on the entrance and exit road (Right now, it is a painted sign on a concrete wall, and the signs in different languages are cool, except very dated. They could do a much better job).

Some of those are comical... I love Highland Park's slogan. Such creativity. And the "Weclome to..." one sponsored by the local funeral home. But I want to live in Amboy. They're sponsored by Main Liquor!

Typically, you can tell someone is from Perth OR South Amboy if you leave out the "perth" or "south" and just say " im from amboy yo":P

South Amboy used to have the most bars per square mile in the country and according to the Guiness of World Records; the largest/heaviest pumpkin.

Everyone knows Charlotte unfortunately suffers an identity crisis. Sure, it has gotten much better over the years but many smaller towns and cities seem to have that "first name only" recognition that Charlotte still lacks. Creating an identity is not an easy task for any city though. Sometimes, it just happens on it's own, either through it's people, culture, an iconic structure (ie: St. Louis arch), or simply it's location.

What if every major roadway entering the Charlotte city limits had a large, arched welcome sign over the road? OK, my photoshop skills aren't the best but this photo will give you an idea of what I mean. Is this tacky? Too retro? Plain ole ugly? Soothing? I know this isn't a "new" idea by any means but I kinda like it. Any thoughts?

welcome2chlt.jpg

Yeah that would be awesome. Also what would be cool is having something like the arch accept in the shape of a crown. And instead of the gateway into the midwest. It could be the Gateway to the Carolina's. What do you all think.

Ooooo, god no. With the city limits being about 15 miles outside of uptown now they would see that sign and be driving into sprawl. Not the greatest first impression. I like just having the signs on the interstate for BOA stadium or "uptown Charlotte". At least then they get to actually see our skyline and feel impressed

a sign will not gain you renown. Just keep doing what you're doing. Things will fall into place

Thank You. charlotte is already past such aspirations. i don't understand this whole identity thing... charlotte is perfectly identifible for a city it's size... even more than some. clean, safe, forward thinking and growing. get or keep those things on track and the rest WILL fall into place. i am not opposed to signs... it just seems to me that it won't address the issue that some here feel charlotte has.

This may be slightly off topic but I never have to add "North Carolina" when people ask me where I am from. Everyone I have met traveling knows about Charlotte immediately. We are very well known for a third tier city in my opinion. All reactions have been positive too!

I like a nice sign that says welcome to our town or city. It used to be the way I judged the size of a town when I was little. I thought that the more they had to say on it (ie Rotary, Lion Club, All America, Tree City, etc.) meant they were a "big" town. Of course now I know better, but I still like a sign that says something about what's there. Perhaps an etched sign that arches over the entrance to uptown from Trade and Tryon streets that points the way to culture, entertainment, business, government, attractions, and history? Or maybe just one that says welcome to Charlotte, the Carolina's largest city. It wouldn't have to be at the city limits sign. And that's another thing, Charlotte's city limits signs look terrible last time I was down. They need to put a unique design besides the basic style on them. I've seen other cities change the color and print type. And maybe put a scenic photo or something. It doesn't have to be gaudy, but still a nice, different choice.

Agree that just the city limits (e.g. driving down 85 or 77) would be a bad idea; but signs that identified different areas around town could be pretty neat - sort of like the Welcome to Uptown or Welcome to Southend signs I've seen.

Maybe it could be a public art project like the rocking chairs or the cows (or the yugos if you ever saw that one!) Different neighborhoods, clubs or whatever could "sponsor" them, so they'd all be unique and represent the neighborhood they announced the entrance to. Then, if one day we decided they were hideous, we could also decide the public art project was over!

In a city with a large subway, they have a lot of signs to use as landmarks that identify the immediate area, so at least you know what neighborhood you've wandered into.... I could see having art project signs that signify the wards, wesley heights, belmont, wilmore, a few in dilworth, some really cool ones in NoDa, chantilly, etc. (though some of those do have historic marker signs already, that are nice).

Archived