Most historic city?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Which city is the most historic?

• Philadelphia
    • Boston

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's too subjective a question... I'd say Boston only because it was founded before Philadelphia.

but philly is the birthplace of our nation.

Both cities share the backbone of American history. One cant be more important than the other because without one of the cities, there would be no America.

i agree with this, although i think philly has done a better job at preserving the historic areas. i just don't think boston is as aesthetically pleasing when considering the history. but as far as having the most history, they're pretty much equal.

but philly is the birthplace of our nation.

i agree with this, although i think philly has done a better job at preserving the historic areas. i just don't think boston is as aesthetically pleasing when considering the history. but as far as having the most history, they're pretty much equal.

Boston was the birthplace of the revolution, the tea party, Ben Franklin, Paul Revere. I still don't think this question is fair, and don't think it should even matter. They were both vital to our country in the past and are still vital today.

The ONE time I've been to Philly I saw boulevards and rowhouses, and little history. Granted, I was only there for a few hours, but when I go to Boston, the whole city feels like it's got history intertwined with the modern. I did not get this in Philly.

Boston was the birthplace of the revolution, the tea party, Ben Franklin, Paul Revere. I still don't think this question is fair, and don't think it should even matter. They were both vital to our country in the past and are still vital today.

The ONE time I've been to Philly I saw boulevards and rowhouses, and little history. Granted, I was only there for a few hours, but when I go to Boston, the whole city feels like it's got history intertwined with the modern. I did not get this in Philly.

philly just feels older to me. a lot of it is run down, it's more industrial than boston. it has the first pennetentiary (sp?), which is actually pretty neat to see (i did the self tour with the headset thing). it's got the liberty bell, independence hall, and their city hall is actually historic (at least in looks, from 1901), as opposed to boston's eye sore of a city hall. philly's city hall was actually the tallest building in the city until 1987. a lot of those rowhouses you saw are quite old, from the early 20th century.

the question is not fair and honestly, the question has no answer. it needs a third option... "equal". because philly and boston are both equal in history.

Philly fans would eat Boston fans for breakfast, they are vicious! I remember at the old Vet's Stadium, they had a courthouse underneath the bleechers because the fans are that bad during Eagle games!

But the teams in Boston have had a much better luck winning. Even the Red Sox, whose fans have always whined about being so cursed, were a great team in the 1910s and had always during my lifetime been top contenders. How many championships has philly won in the "big 4" sports?

New York's baseball history alone I think puts both cities below it if you're talking about sports. The 26 Yankee championships, Babe Ruth, Lou Gehrig, Joe Dimaggio, Mickey Mantle, Steinbrenner. The miracle mets, the amazin' mets. All the subways series going back to when the Giants and Dodgers were still in the city. Jackie Robinson. I'm sad I never got to see Ebbetts Field and the Polo Grounds. They seem to have been in the pantheon of great parks that only Wrigley and Fenway are in today. Too, too much history there. Anyone who used to listen to WFAN has to agree, there is no bigger (or entertaining) sports fan than Jerome from Manhattan. Unfortunately, he no longer calls into the Fan per doctor's orders...

I have heard the stories that Philly has the meanest fans, but that's not a good thing.

But the teams in Boston have had a much better luck winning. Even the Red Sox, whose fans have always whined about being so cursed, were a great team in the 1910s and had always during my lifetime been top contenders. How many championships has philly won in the "big 4" sports?

New York's baseball history alone I think puts both cities below it if you're talking about sports. The 26 Yankee championships, Babe Ruth, Lou Gehrig, Joe Dimaggio, Mickey Mantle, Steinbrenner. The miracle mets, the amazin' mets. All the subways series going back to when the Giants and Dodgers were still in the city. Jackie Robinson. I'm sad I never got to see Ebbetts Field and the Polo Grounds. They seem to have been in the pantheon of great parks that only Wrigley and Fenway are in today. Too, too much history there. Anyone who used to listen to WFAN has to agree, there is no bigger (or entertaining) sports fan than Jerome from Manhattan. Unfortunately, he no longer calls into the Fan per doctor's orders...

I have heard the stories that Philly has the meanest fans, but that's not a good thing.

i'm pretty sure it's 27 world series championships... but i lost count. :lol:

the one downside to living in providence is not getting YES, while getting NESN and listening to them whine about the sox losing... and red sox nation... ugh.

i've heard stories that boston has the most obnoxious and unsportsmanlike fans, not a good thing either. who else chants about baseball teams sucking during a football game? give me a break.

i don't know much about philly sports, but boston shares the most historic sports rivalry to ever exist.

i've heard stories that boston has the most obnoxious and unsportsmanlike fans, not a good thing either. who else chants about baseball teams sucking during a football game? give me a break.

You've heard stories? From my time in Providence I've seen those chants start up in random places. They certainly like to gloat when they win and then whine when they lose. Not that all Yankee fans are perfect, some are real a-sholes, but as a whole they simply don't act like children when they win or lose.

It's bad enough that we all get excited over a bunch of overpaid atheletes and their contractual allegiences to our cities, but when you start rooting against a team just as hard as you root for yours ... that's pretty bad

• 3 weeks later...

ok, so it's been a long time since i visited the historic section of philly (old city, society hill), which i did this weekend. i have to say, while both cities have about equal history, i think philly has done a better job at preserving it. they've got the city hall, which is a major part of the skyline (and built around the turn of the 20th century), in contrast, boston's city hall is an eye sore.

it just seems that the historic areas have been better preserved in philly and not completely taken over by the modern architecture and hidden or allowed to fall into ruin.

• 1 month later...

I've seen it. Back in 2004 when I used to live in Boston and when the Patriots beat the Carolina Panthers in Super Bowl 38, I was riding a Green Line trolley home from my girlfriend's home in Newton. There were a few nuts on the trolley screaming "Yankees suck!" Seriously, what do the New York Yankees have to do with the Super Bowl?

Then last year, I went to a Purim Party. A few morons stated shouting "Yankees suck!" at the Party. Again, what do the Yankees have to do with this? Purim, a fun Jewish holiday, falls at a time before baseball season starts. In fact teams haven't even reported for Spring Training when Purim falls. I suppose if their cars break down or their dogs run away from home, they'd blame the Yankees for that too. I honestly don't think Philly sports fans go that far. I don't think Eagles fans would blame the Cowboys, Giants or Redskins if their kids got sent to detention.

But getting back to which is the most historic city, well, I'd have to say Philly. Old City and Independence Hall, as well as Philly's old, classy City Hall are what I think give Philly the edge here.

I've seen it. Back in 2004 when I used to live in Boston and when the Patriots beat the Carolina Panthers in Super Bowl 38, I was riding a Green Line trolley home from my girlfriend's home in Newton. There were a few nuts on the trolley screaming "Yankees suck!" Seriously, what do the New York Yankees have to do with the Super Bowl?

Then last year, I went to a Purim Party. A few morons stated shouting "Yankees suck!" at the Party. Again, what do the Yankees have to do with this? Purim, a fun Jewish holiday, falls at a time before baseball season starts. In fact teams haven't even reported for Spring Training when Purim falls. I suppose if their cars break down or their dogs run away from home, they'd blame the Yankees for that too. I honestly don't think Philly sports fans go that far. I don't think Eagles fans would blame the Cowboys, Giants or Redskins if their kids got sent to detention.

But getting back to which is the most historic city, well, I'd have to say Philly. Old City and Independence Hall, as well as Philly's old, classy City Hall are what I think give Philly the edge here.

boston fans are crybabies too... they're upset about damon going to the yanks so they now have shirts that say "no hair, no beard, no soul".

i agree on philly... i spend some time in old city... there's just nothing like that in boston. a lot of boston has been overrun by newer stuff and a lot of the historic stuff just isn't as visible. and the city hall gives philly the edge over most historic cities... but boston's city hall is the ugliest building in the city.

Archived