321 from Lenoir to Blowing Rock

Rickydavisfan21

I dunno if this is already on here or not, I searched for a while, and the search function was giving me troubes saying 321 was too short of a word to search, when I typed in highway 321 but whats going on lately with the 4 laning of 321 from lenoir to blowing rock haven't been up there in a couple of months.

Also, How does everyone feel about the widening of 321, IMO one of the most beautiful commerical highways (at least that stretch) in NC. I guess I should say was.

Does anyone know what the plans as far as landscaping the highway are, because they are taking out so many trees and so many rocks walls, IMO my favourite thing about that road is driving up it in the winter and seeing the monsterous icecicles hanging from the rocks on the side of 321.

basically I just want to start a thread on 321

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Charlotte metro's best way to the High Country (Boone in proper) is US 321. If US 421 is four lanes between Winston (at I-40) and Boone, why not US 321?

yea I definately understand the reasoning for it, I've had myself plenty of headaches going up to BR, but I just wonder if they are going to try to rebeautify the area, if thats a word.

yea I definately understand the reasoning for it, I've had myself plenty of headaches going up to BR, but I just wonder if they are going to try to rebeautify the area, if thats a word.

NCDOT has done this before along US 15/501 in Pinehurst. Lets hope they are creative with highway beautification with 321.

Having driven this road on a 65 mile daily commute from NW of Boone to Hickory for 3 years, I can attest that the strech of 321 from Lenoir to Blowing Rock is extremely dangerous regardless of weather. There was no choice but to widen this road with all the commercial, college, resident, and tourist traffic on this road.

I do hope that the DOT does a good job in grading and beautifying this roadway since it was a such a scenic drive before. I have seen some newer mountain highways in KY and VA that just "cut" thru the terrain without regard to what scenery or vistas may have been there before.

Does anyone know the path the widening is taking around/thru Blowing Rock? I know the town had some issues with some of the proposed paths and vocally opposed them.

I'm not completely sure about that, but I do know one thing, that there will be parts of 321, at least I've heard this to be the case, that will be 100 ft higher than others in elevation, particularly going up the mountain, maybe a mile up the road from where it currently goes from 2 lanes to 1

Archived