Memphis in May

Bears

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The biggest festival of the year is about to occur in Downtown. How do you guys think it should be improved or is it perfect? Anybody that goes, feel free to post some pictures!

Article

Editorial

History of MIM

I'd like to see the music fest expanded to Mud Island, maybe put some smaller bands on some barges or riverboats and offer cruises, or keep the barge there, put a stage on it, and people can watch from the cobblestones (as long as they bring chairs, cuz them stones are hard on the butt), then maybe add some more days.

Maybe bring in a balloon race. Only because summers aren't the same without balloons. Many other cities have balloon races. Or, actually, two that I know of (St. Louis and Albuquerque). But, it's still a summer staple, I think, and would mesh very well with the spirit of Memphis in May.

Highlight more of the honored country's culture (maybe this is where we can preserve some of Wonders' intent without going the blockbuster route, but getting Costa Rica to help put together a "best of Costa Rica's treasures and culture" and show it here). It's no Wonders, not even close, but until Wonders gets resurrected, this might be the next best thing. May be less expensive to put on, expectations of attendance might not be as much, and fits in well with the theme of the month-long festival.

And improve the fireworks at the end of the Sunset Symphony. Maybe not as big as say, Thunder over Louisville (or, with enough support, maybe bigger, who knows?). But I've always thought that Memphis fireworks displays haven't compared to other cities, for some reason.

I'd like to see the music fest expanded to Mud Island, maybe put some smaller bands on some barges or riverboats and offer cruises, or keep the barge there, put a stage on it, and people can watch from the cobblestones (as long as they bring chairs, cuz them stones are hard on the butt), then maybe add some more days.

Maybe bring in a balloon race. Only because summers aren't the same without balloons. Many other cities have balloon races. Or, actually, two that I know of (St. Louis and Albuquerque). But, it's still a summer staple, I think, and would mesh very well with the spirit of Memphis in May.

Highlight more of the honored country's culture (maybe this is where we can preserve some of Wonders' intent without going the blockbuster route, but getting Costa Rica to help put together a "best of Costa Rica's treasures and culture" and show it here). It's no Wonders, not even close, but until Wonders gets resurrected, this might be the next best thing. May be less expensive to put on, expectations of attendance might not be as much, and fits in well with the theme of the month-long festival.

And improve the fireworks at the end of the Sunset Symphony. Maybe not as big as say, Thunder over Louisville (or, with enough support, maybe bigger, who knows?). But I've always thought that Memphis fireworks displays haven't compared to other cities, for some reason.

Yes! Mud Island park is a natural extension for Memphis in May.

As for the Music Fest, this year's lineup is not spectacular. Maybe that is an industry factor as many festivals have taken a talent beating.

As for BBQ Fest, why not move it to Mud Island!!? Mud Island is twice as long and wider than Tom Lee park.

Yes! Mud Island park is a natural extension for Memphis in May.

As for the Music Fest, this year's lineup is not spectacular. Maybe that is an industry factor as many festivals have taken a talent beating.

As for BBQ Fest, why not move it to Mud Island!!? Mud Island is twice as long and wider than Tom Lee park.

I always thought that Mud Island should be the location of a bbq museum. Well, not always, but since the Overton block debate/RDC has been an issue.

And I don't know about Music Fest, it's ok this year. It's been a while since BB King played here, and I don't think John Lee Hooker has ever played here, has he? I'd like to see more though, obviously. I'm not thrilled with, say, Huey Lewis, but it might be interesting nostalgia and get some of the older folks to show up. I'd like to see Ben Harper or someone like that.

I'm coming home this weekend and plan to pick up some tix for Friday and Saturday.

I always thought that Mud Island should be the location of a bbq museum. Well, not always, but since the Overton block debate/RDC has been an issue.

And I don't know about Music Fest, it's ok this year. It's been a while since BB King played here, and I don't think John Lee Hooker has ever played here, has he? I'd like to see more though, obviously. I'm not thrilled with, say, Huey Lewis, but it might be interesting nostalgia and get some of the older folks to show up. I'd like to see Ben Harper or someone like that.

I'm coming home this weekend and plan to pick up some tix for Friday and Saturday.

Yeah you can never go wrong with Ben Harper or Jack Johnson....it should still be a decent year for the music fest I think. I think that it will get some of the older folks down there which is good and bad....should be exciting though, it's supposed to rain on friday night but it looks like saturday and sunday will be dry so hopefully we won't have to be walking through the mud this year!

Yeah you can never go wrong with Ben Harper or Jack Johnson....it should still be a decent year for the music fest I think. I think that it will get some of the older folks down there which is good and bad....should be exciting though, it's supposed to rain on friday night but it looks like saturday and sunday will be dry so hopefully we won't have to be walking through the mud this year!

I never attend the Mud Fest....oops, Music Fest because it always rains. Its supposed to storm on Friday, so its automatically going to be muddy Saturday & Sunday. I think they should have the Music Fest on the last few days of the month. It would be dry and more people would show up IMO.

I never attend the Mud Fest....oops, Music Fest because it always rains. Its supposed to storm on Friday, so its automatically going to be muddy Saturday & Sunday. I think they should have the Music Fest on the last few days of the month. It would be dry and more people would show up IMO.

It's Friday, and it's beautiful!! If you're reading this . . . what are you thinking? Get out there and party!!

I couldn't be in town cause of finals, but if anyone wants to be "that guy" and get some pics that would be cool.

I just finished my last final woooooooooo. unfortunatly im not in memphis, but middle of nowhere indiana... but hey thats what college drinking is for right ;)

Archived