Benzie County

Ka3kab

I took a drive out to Frankfurt today and thought I would snap some shots for you guys because very few of you probebly know what and where Benzie County is. To start off, it is the county west of Grand Traverse. Honestly, I had no idea where the place was until I was told I would be moving there back in 1994. With a population of just over 15,998 it is one of Michigan's smallest counties. And with a land area of only 321 sq. miles, it is Michigan's smallest. It has a total area of 860 sq. mi. but if you do the math you see that it is a little over 62.5% water. In the 2005 census estimates the population had gone to 17,644, a 9.2% increase. From 1990 to 2000 however it was up 31.1%. Most of the groth is in the eastern Townships bordering Grand Traverse County. Anyway, enough talk, now for some pics.

FRANKFURT/ELBERTA

These first 3 shot are from Elberta looking towards Lake Michigan on top of a bluff.

FrankfortLakeMichigan6.jpg

FrankfortLakeMichigan5.jpg

FrankfortLakeMichigan4.jpg

The next 2 are leaving Elberta looking out over man-made lake/harbour towards Frankfurt.

Frankfort2.jpg

Frankfort.jpg

I'm not sure what this is, but I do know that they, whoever they are, don't use it anymore.

ElbertaSilo.jpg

These next few are from Frankfurts little downtown. The theater in one of these shots still operates, obvious by the movie playing.

FrankfurtCinema.jpg

Frankfurt6.jpg

Frankfurt5.jpg

Frankfurt4.jpg

FrankfortDownhill.jpg

Frankfort3.jpg

The next set is from the beach in Frankfurt looking out at Lake Michigan, the shore and bluffs and a couple of nice little beach homes, that are not in use 9 months of the year. :sick:

FrankfortDune.jpg

FrankfortLakeHouse.jpg

FrankfortLakeHouse2.jpg

FrankfortLakeMichigan2.jpg

FrankfortLakeMichigan3.jpg

BEULAH/BENZONIA

These shots are of mostly Beulah and Crystal Lake, the shot with the news vans is the only one of Benzonia I got because I really had to get home.

FrankfurtLakeMichigan7.jpg

BeulahHotel.jpg

BeulahDowntown4.jpg

BeulahDowntown3.jpg

At the end of this set of buildings is a bowling alley. It's kind of odd and for the 9 years I lived in Benzie County, I never went in. It is still open, in case anyone wondered.

BeulahDowntown.jpg

BenzoniaNews.jpg

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That area is so nice. I had the opportunity to take a huge detour on my way up north last summer to travel the Lake Michigan Coast from Manistee up to the Lelanau Peninsula. I even took the scenic drive at Sleeping Bear Dunes and jumped down the giant sand dune. I didn't have my camera yet at the time, but I hope to try to make the same detour drive there again this summer. :)

Oh, and the view of Frankfort struck me as very surprising and foreign. It seemed like it was in a setting in eastern Europe or something.

Great pics, this brings back memories to my high school days

I remember having a 4 day long football camp there for two years during the summer practice seasons.

We'd have 5-6 hour a day practices with 7 other high schools and then go cool off in Lake Michigan.

The days when Wolverine was in shape. :( Time to start hitting the weightroom again.

I just realized that last photo has Fox 2 News on location. It's for the Unger trial...that Oakland County guy who is accused of killing his wife on a lake in Benzie County. Fox 2 is based in Detroit.

That area is so nice. I had the opportunity to take a huge detour on my way up north last summer to travel the Lake Michigan Coast from Manistee up to the Lelanau Peninsula. I even took the scenic drive at Sleeping Bear Dunes and jumped down the giant sand dune. I didn't have my camera yet at the time, but I hope to try to make the same detour drive there again this summer. :)

Oh, and the view of Frankfort struck me as very surprising and foreign. It seemed like it was in a setting in eastern Europe or something.

Man, I love that climb. It's been a while since I've done it though. Probebly would have a heart attack if I tried it. :tough:

I just realized that last photo has Fox 2 News on location. It's for the Unger trial...that Oakland County guy who is accused of killing his wife on a lake in Benzie County. Fox 2 is based in Detroit.

I've been following the case. Ka3kab, you didn't happen to get a picture of the Benzie County Courthouse in Beulah, did you? That's where the trial is being held.

Speaking of which, I forgot about the pics I took of Honor. Here you go, there's just a few.

HonorStone.jpg

A neat little fieldstone house just outside of town.

HonorHill2.jpg

On a hill overlooking the county

HonorHill.jpg

Same as above, but from a different hill.

Honor.jpg

The village itself. Not much there. Two gas stations, a bank, a small restaurant (good pizza) and a few weird little buisnesses and about maybe a couple dozen houses.

Archived