Downtown Memphis News & Developments (CBD, South Main, Riverfront, Medical District, The Edge, Uptown)

bluff2085

According to today's Business Journal, downtown Memphis has 28,200 residents and is growing at over 10% each year. By 2010, we should have over 40,000 people living downtown if current growth rates remain the same. With the sheer number of massive projects on the table right now, that number could be much higher. As a comparison, downtown Nashville is projected to hit 10,000 in 2010.

Downtown Memphis also has seen $100 million more in annual retail sales between 2003 and 2005 -- growth of 30% -- and much more is projected. I know of no other American city's urban core that has come so far so quickly. Really makes me wonder where we'll be in 10 years!

According to today's Business Journal, downtown Memphis has 28,200 residents and is growing at over 10% each year. By 2010, we should have over 40,000 people living downtown if current growth rates remain the same. With the sheer number of massive projects on the table right now, that number could be much higher. As a comparison, downtown Nashville is projected to hit 10,000 in 2010.

Downtown Memphis also has seen $100 million more in annual retail sales between 2003 and 2005 -- growth of 30% -- and much more is projected. I know of no other American city's urban core that has come so far so quickly. Really makes me wonder where we'll be in 10 years!

I know I will be glad to be here in 10 years!

All this stuff going on is just awesome. I think in 10 years I will be living downtown.

I've been wanting to do something with google maps for a while, so I decided to created a google map overlay of the projects listed in this thread and in the South End/South Main Developments thread.

Anyway, here's an overlay created from the data that bluff2085 assembled and posted in these threads: http://maps.google.com/maps?q=http://www.g.../ddprojects.kml.

If you want to add or change anything, you can download the kml file (at http://www.gatesofmemphis.com/ddprojects.kml) and modify it in google earth.

Or, it would be cool if the Center City Commission would modify their application, http://www.downtownmemphis.com/domain/deve...ojects_type.asp, to output the overlay file (the kml file) directly, since their data on downtown development will be as authoritative as anyone's (I think).

• 2 weeks later...

New project on Madison in the Medical District:

Downtown condominium developer Phil Woodard has changed course by putting together a $2.3 million condo project at 670 Madison. Madison19 will contain 18 one-story condos and one two-story unit. Each condo is 850-square feet and prices will be about $160,000 per unit.

Medical Education and Research Institute, currently on Cleveland, is the world's largest hands-on surgery training center in the world. They are planning to move to the Baptist Research Park in the Medical District, per MBJ.

"A new MERI would also help seal Memphis as a center for orthopedic research and development."

"MERI is directly estimated to be worth $22.4 million to the local economy and 250 jobs, according to health care economist Cyril Chang, professor of economics and director of the Methodist Le Bonheur Center for Healthcare Economics at the University of Memphis Fogelman College of Business and Economics."

It looks like Memphis is becoming very competitive in the biomedical field. :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Or the Microtel Inn & Suites and the Nettleton?

Microtel still hasn't began construction. The Nettleton started a while ago, I think. I really don't care for the Microtel. It looks like a interstate project crammed into an urban environment. Sure this area is depressed, but in a decade it won't be, and we'll be regretting allowing this type of project to be developed there.

Microtel still hasn't began construction. The Nettleton started a while ago, I think. I really don't care for the Microtel. It looks like a interstate project crammed into an urban environment. Sure this area is depressed, but in a decade it won't be, and we'll be regretting allowing this type of project to be developed there.

agreed, that about sums up the microtel.

• 3 weeks later...

Got to see renderings and layouts today for a proposed 'new urbanist' project to be located just north of St Judes across North Parkway and occupying several blocks. It will have about 40 +/- single family homes (Front porches, etc) and about 80 +/- condos, 80,000 sf of retail. I think it was called 'Uptown'. It looks good!

I didn't know if this had been posted here or not.

EDIT:

The Memphis Business Journal refers to this development in a recent article:

Following the completion of the planned residential components of Uptown and the state of Tennessee's realignment of North Parkway and Jackson Avenue, Turley and Belz Enterprises plan to build a neighborhood retail component.

The retail center, which Belz will be spearheading, will be on two parcels created by the road realignment.

Edited by PHofKS

Got to see renderings and layouts today for a proposed 'new urbanist' project to be located just north of St Judes across North Parkway and occupying several blocks. It will have about 40 +/- single family homes (Front porches, etc) and about 80 +/- condos, 80,000 sf of retail. I think it was called 'Uptown'. It looks good!

I didn't know if this had been posted here or not.

EDIT:

The Memphis Business Journal refers to this development in a recent article:

Previously they had stated they had secured a grocery store for the site.

• 2 months later...

Thanks for putting together such a great list. There is definately a lot going on in Memphis that many folks outside this forum don't know about yet. I have a feeling though, that soon enough Memphis will start getting more recognition for the progress it is making in regards to its various urban development projects.

I already have some of these listed on the Memphis development map which is in progress.

I live in Birmingham, and I'm just blown away over all the new developments in Memphis!!! One Beal is definitely iconic. I predict this building will be the new Graceland. I've always liked Memphis, and see it and Birmingham as "cousin" cities. Kudos to you all for your city's renaissance. Once Corridor X (the future I-22) opens, I hope Memphis and Birmingham will be able to develop closer economic & cultural relations. Our industrial rebirth, financial clout and status as a distribution nexus, plus your continued tourism, population and cultural expansions- not to mention the biomedical sector growth of Memphis & Birmingham- should garner tremendous growth between both cities.

Go Memphis!!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Are you thinking of another project? One Beale is in the middle of Downtown.

I think he ment why is One Beale so far away from all the other skyscrapers downtown. My guess is that they wanted to be on Beale street, and Beale street is south from the main clusters of skyscrapers. I don't this is bad at all and it might even spur another cluster around it.

Yes if you have noticed all of the new construction over the last ten years or so, it has been creeping south towards Beale. I think this is a natural progression in One Beale being the next piece. First it was the Peabody Place Tower and development, then AutoZone Bldg, then the FedExForum, then the Westin, now One Beale. It's great although I suspect in ten years when all of these projects are visible there will be two different downtowns. One of blue/green glass near Beale and the old downtown closer to I-40

• 1 month later...

Scaffdog, I didn't know and I appreciate you letting the people on the forum that didn't know.

haha same.

Does anyone know when work will begin at the Greyhound Station? I went to see Justin Timberlake @ the Forum last night, and on my way out, we all noticed that the Greyhound and the people who own the King's Court Hotel must be sitting on a gold mine because both are pretty much surrounded by great developments.

haha same.

Does anyone know when work will begin at the Greyhound Station? I went to see Justin Timberlake @ the Forum last night, and on my way out, we all noticed that the Greyhound and the people who own the King's Court Hotel must be sitting on a gold mine because both are pretty much surrounded by great developments.

Are you talking about that developer out of California that wanted to build an upscale lifestyle center there across from AutoZone Park? I think there was like a 20-story tower with it too... I haven't heard anything out of that proposal in about a year. It's probably dead, I guess <_<