Downtown Memphis News & Developments (CBD, South Main, Riverfront, Medical District, The Edge, Uptown)

bluff2085

2 hours ago, dxfret said:

The Wall StreetJournal  and NY Times have both had recent  articles about river cruises and Viking’s planned entry in the US. What is shocking is how very expensive these cruises are for passengers.  Anything to increase Memphis tourism will be good, but Memphis is likely to be a mid point stop with passengers visiting mostly as day trippers.  As such this would not create a lot of additional demand for hotel rooms or air travel as passengers are likely to embark/disembark in other cities.  I do hope the city can work to improve the  River Terminal.  Even though it is fairly new, it has already had a lot of problems.  

They are quite expensive$2-3k range for the shorter ones, the two week ones are even more.  Each port of call charges the river cruise company a certain amount per passenger.  I think Beale St Landing is $15 per passenger.  I read where one small town was only $1 or so.  But add them all up, and it just tacks on the overhead that the river cruise companies have.  I think some of the landings in Memphis are for 24 hours or so.  So the passengers have the option of staying on the boat, or getting a hotel room in dowtown Memphis.  No clue what percentage of passengers do that.  But if you are already spending #2,500 on a cruise, what's another $150 to stay in downtown Memphis?

1 hour ago, MDC26 said:

They are quite expensive$2-3k range for the shorter ones, the two week ones are even more.  Each port of call charges the river cruise company a certain amount per passenger.  I think Beale St Landing is $15 per passenger.  I read where one small town was only $1 or so.  But add them all up, and it just tacks on the overhead that the river cruise companies have.  I think some of the landings in Memphis are for 24 hours or so.  So the passengers have the option of staying on the boat, or getting a hotel room in dowtown Memphis.  No clue what percentage of passengers do that.  But if you are already spending #2,500 on a cruise, what's another $150 to stay in downtown Memphis?

Sadly, there are really no  high end hotels in downtown Memphis.  The Peabody bills itself as high end, but it’s actually very old and not super nice.  Any informed passengers will certainly stay on the boat.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, dxfret said:

Sadly, there are really no  high end hotels in downtown Memphis.  The Peabody bills itself as high end, but it’s actually very old and not super nice.  Any informed passengers will certainly stay on the boat.

What are you classifying as high-end? What are these?

• The Westin (4-star)
  • Central Station (new Curio Collection by Hilton hotel, probably a 4-star)
  • Hotel Napoleon (technically a 3-star)
  • Hu Hotel (4-star, former Madison)
  • Sheraton (4-star)
  • ARRIVE (new, probably a 4-star)
  • River Inn of Harbor Town (4-star)
  • Big Cypress Lodge (4-star, inside Bass Pro Pyramid)
Edited by VSRJ
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, VSRJ said:

• The Westin (4-star)
  • Sheraton (4-star)

Canopy and Loew's will be 4-star too.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, VSRJ said:

• The Westin (4-star)
  • Sheraton (4-star)

1 hour ago, MDC26 said:

Canopy and Loew's will be 4-star too.  

The Hyatt Centric at One Beale is expected to be 4-star once it's completed later this year/early next year along with the Aloft Hotel (interior/exterior conversion of the old Tenoke Building), and there are a few other high-end boutique developments in the pipeline over the next couple of years including the proposed Dream Hotel on Main (currently a Royal Furniture store) and a second unnamed One Beale hotel (on top of the former William C. Ellis Machine Shop) among others. Plus, the current DoubleTree downtown is set to undergo a massive renovation later this year to become a full-service hotel as part of Marriott's Autograph Collection.

• Like 1

Sorry, but none of the hotels cited above can ever be considered top quality by discerning travelers. The star system rating hotels is largely meaningless, and is primarily used by hotel chains and booking engines for marketing and to raise rates.  Memphis badly needs at least one high end hotel, but none currently exist in the local market or pipeline.  I’m talking about hotels like Four Seasons, Ritz Carlton, Conrad, Waldorf, or possibly even a JW Marriott.  

35 minutes ago, dxfret said:

Sorry, but none of the hotels cited above can ever be considered top quality by discerning travelers. The star system rating hotels is largely meaningless, and is primarily used by hotel chains and booking engines for marketing and to raise rates.  Memphis badly needs at least one high end hotel, but none currently exist in the local market or pipeline.  I’m talking about hotels like Four Seasons, Ritz Carlton, Conrad, Waldorf, or possibly even a JW Marriott.  

Fair point, but I don't think someone would pass on an overnight stay in Memphis because of a lack of one of those brands. But I'm not a member of those hotels' target demographic so who knows.

Surely a "4-star" hotel has to be nicer and more spacious than a cabin on a riverboat.

• Thanks 1

Star and diamond ratings are mostly assurance that a hotel has, at least, the capability of providing a minimal level of service. Loews will be the market leader when it opens, the brand has a strong delivery reputation in the upper upscale segment. I don't think the market will command the common sought after luxury brands for a while.

“Surely a "4-star" hotel has to be nicer and more spacious than a cabin on a riverboat.”

This would largely depend on amount of hours in port stops.  Viking will offer cabins and amenities superior to any hotel.  In already paying top $ for the cruise, why pay extra for hotels?  These are not the vessels  of the Delta Queen era. Viking has been very successful in Europe with similar river cruises popular with American tourists.  

Lets clear something up Memphis has the best and only descent river docking facility in the inland of the United States. the only issue with the landing is a lack of free parking for a restaurant. also the previous restaurants are not catering to the many families and visitors there daily

• Thanks 1

Memphis has so much potential... and there are signs that it's finally trying to build on their strongest assets... unique downtown that's mostly preserved from its glory days... beautiful midtown suburbs... nice roads and easy to get around... great musical heritage... several large homegrown financial institutions... convenient location in the nation, which (noted here) makes it ideal for logistics. 

Problem Memphis has had for a half century is their leadership... both elected officials... and corporate/business leadership.  It's a shame that Fedex and IP (especially) and others have not staked their claim downtown with a signature tower. The NFL wanted Memphis over Jacksonville in 1994 for an new team.  By now the story is legend that when the NFL was in talks with Dunavant (and Presley Enterprises) for ownership of an expansion team, they wanted him to name it "The Kings" (homage to MLK, Elvis, & the old Egyptian Pharoahs)... but Dunavant stubbornly refused.  Then when they talked with the city and county mayors and a few other city council members, they each (individually) demanded bribes to get a new stadium at the Liberty Bowl funded.  The NFL said, "Bye!" Team went to Jax.

Memphis has always had a lot of potential but so much has been squandered over the years. The riverfront is an amazing asset.  Poor government and civic leadership has been a big issue, along with the high crime rate.  Memphis made a big bet on becoming a distribution center and the so-called “aerotropolis” that has not panned out well except to create acres of warehouses where people don’t live.   As a result the city’s growth and regional economy have been mostly stagnant for years. 

1 hour ago, VSRJ said:

The old Wonder Bread bakery complex is really coming together nicely:

https://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/news/2020/03/06/first-look-new-apartments-rise-on-former-wonder.html

img4192.thumb.jpg.0ed8501d30d87461d4b0ee35dd1722de.jpg

The rental rates on this project is crazy 880 to 1200 for a studio apartment in Memphis, not even located in downtown or near the river.  1200-1700 for 1 bedrooms this is crazy.  I love downtown and would love to live there but I kinda wonder who in Memphis makes enough money for these apartments, with these rates we should be getting condos pretty soon those are mortgage rates.

33 minutes ago, VSRJ said:

^ I agree. I was just looking at the prices and couldn't believe how high they were. Those are some Nashville rates.

I was thinking the same.  When I was living on Mud Island in the Mid 2000's,  my 2-bedroom 1150 sqft apartment was $760 a month.  

1 hour ago, Memphis4ever said:

The rental rates on this project is crazy 880 to 1200 for a studio apartment in Memphis, not even located in downtown or near the river.  1200-1700 for 1 bedrooms this is crazy.  I love downtown and would love to live there but I kinda wonder who in Memphis makes enough money for these apartments, with these rates we should be getting condos pretty soon those are mortgage rates.

Crosstown apartments rent for that and are nearly full so demand is there. There is a lot of money and well paying jobs in Memphis - but for the longest time it was concentrated out east.

• Thanks 1

On 3/6/2020 at 8:26 AM, MDC26 said:

I've been to the Memphis Made facility in Cooper-Young and strongly enjoyed it. This will be very nice. Great to see it moving forward.

On 3/5/2020 at 10:49 AM, VSRJ said:

• The Westin (4-star)
  • Sheraton (4-star)

These are all, likely, very nice hotels. I suppose people can define "high-end" in many ways. For me (a budget traveler), the Memphis hotels you list would be luxurious. For the uber wealthy and highly discriminating (and something status-conscience and materialistic) traveler, they might be insufficient.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, East Side Urbanite said:

I've been to the Memphis Made facility in Cooper-Young and strongly enjoyed it. This will be very nice. Great to see it moving forward.

These are all, likely, very nice hotels. I suppose people can define "high-end" in many ways. For me (a budget traveler), the Memphis hotels you list would be luxurious. For the uber wealthy and highly discriminating (and something status-conscience and materialistic) traveler, they might be insufficient.

Very true. To an extent, it's all relative.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm really excited to see this progressing. That is such a prime (and grossly underutilized) piece of real estate. And I'm really glad they'll be adding some much-needed windows to the south side of the building (pictured).

$26M Cotton Row renovation moves forward

https://dailymemphian.com/section/business/article/12172/memphis-cotton-row-renovation-project-front-street-permit

image.thumb.png.10c13a586128a9f7cd2f819d460e0ef2.png

Developers planning to save and renovate two of Downtown’s historic, river bluff buildings filed a permit application this week showing the construction will cost $26 million.

That is about $2.7 million more than developers Billy Orgel, Adam Slovis and Jay Lindy estimated in September when they sought and received a tax incentive.

The project will convert two adjacent buildings – 99 and 105 S. Front – in the Cotton Row National Historic District into 112 one- and two-bedroom apartments, about 5,300 square feet of ground-floor commercial space and 61 underground parking spaces.

Rendering of the north face:

image.png.ed9cbbbf98b7606c1537fa60d6b27495.png

On 3/25/2020 at 3:16 PM, VSRJ said:

I'm really excited to see this progressing. That is such a prime (and grossly underutilized) piece of real estate. And I'm really glad they'll be adding some much-needed windows to the south side of the building (pictured).

$26M Cotton Row renovation moves forward

https://dailymemphian.com/section/business/article/12172/memphis-cotton-row-renovation-project-front-street-permit

image.thumb.png.10c13a586128a9f7cd2f819d460e0ef2.png

Rendering of the north face:

image.png.ed9cbbbf98b7606c1537fa60d6b27495.png

I think you're going to be disappointed, because you've got your directions wrong.  The picture you have posted is the West side.  The Rendering is the East side.  The North side is the side facing Barbaro Alley.  They will be adding 46 windows there.  There were some previous windows on this side, but they have been bricked up.  The South side faces the adjacent building, and they will be adding 51 windows above the roofline of that building.  No new windows mentioned for the side facing the river.  (I know, I know.)  

https://dailymemphian.com/article/5464/Lots-of-new-windows-proposed-for-Downtown-historic-building

On 3/27/2020 at 12:21 PM, MDC26 said:

I think you're going to be disappointed, because you've got your directions wrong.  The picture you have posted is the West side.  The Rendering is the East side.  The North side is the side facing Barbaro Alley.  They will be adding 46 windows there.  There were some previous windows on this side, but they have been bricked up.  The South side faces the adjacent building, and they will be adding 51 windows above the roofline of that building.  No new windows mentioned for the side facing the river.  (I know, I know.)  

https://dailymemphian.com/article/5464/Lots-of-new-windows-proposed-for-Downtown-historic-building

Oops, you're right — my wishful thinking got the best of me!

• 2 weeks later...

Good to see this building will see new life — and it represents more commercial growth downtown:

Kemmons Wilson Cos. plans move into Downtown historic building

https://dailymemphian.com/section/neighborhoodsdowntown/article/12713/kemmons-wilson-cos-to-build-headquarters-downtown

The Kemmons Wilson Companies plans to renovate the historic warehouse that last housed Spaghetti Warehouse and move its headquarters from near Southwind in the suburbs to Downtown.

The legacy company of the late founder of the Holiday Inn hotel chain plans a $6.8 million renovation of the 115-year-old building at 40 Huling.

Kemmons Wilson Companies is seeking a tax incentive from the Center City Revenue Finance Corp. that would be spread across 15 years and save the company a cumulative $801,000 in property taxes. Still, the project would generate $267,312 more in property taxes during the 15 years than it now creates, according to documents filed with the application.

image.png.014beeffb479e93f40edb6307b865d4c.png

image.png.36cf37550d3b50cadf45122ec868f56a.png

• Like 1