Downtown Memphis News & Developments (CBD, South Main, Riverfront, Medical District, The Edge, Uptown)

bluff2085

4 hours ago, James Owen said:

Hey @Memphis4ever, if you have a chance, could you provide an update on the Aloft project (conversion of the Tenoke Building into a hotel) and how far along the redevelopment is going?

It is going on I have a picture of it about a month ago on this thread.  The exterior has been reskinned.

The current Econo Lodge (former LaQuinta Inn/Red Roof Inn/Quality Inn) is slated for demolition later this year pending LUCB approval. A new dual-branded Marriott will be going up in its place.

Dual-branded hotel proposed for Union/I-240

By Tom Bailey, The Daily Memphian

https://dailymemphian.com/section/business/article/13680/new-hotels-proposed-for-union-i240

The development would be double-branded as a Townplace Suites and Fairfield Inn & Suites.

“The dual brands will offer both extended stay and traditional hotel options with a total of 180 guest rooms,” the letter of intent states.

The existing Econo Lodge has 135 rooms.

Image courtesy of Kings Court LLC/Pickering Firm

29999_1200.png

5 hours ago, James Owen said:

The current Econo Lodge (former LaQuinta Inn/Red Roof Inn/Quality Inn) is slated for demolition later this year pending LUCB approval. A new dual-branded Marriott will be going up in its place.

Dual-branded hotel proposed for Union/I-240

Certainly a few steps up from an Econo Lodge, but I wish the design was a little more dense.

6 hours ago, Memphis4ever said:

I do believe they are about to start construction on the convention center hotel.  The said construction should start in June or July

The removal of the clock tower at Civic Center Plaza is the first sign of that progress getting started. A shame they couldn't keep the whole thing in tact and relocate it though.

17 hours ago, James Owen said:

The removal of the clock tower at Civic Center Plaza is the first sign of that progress getting started. A shame they couldn't keep the whole thing in tact and relocate it though.

I won't believe the hotel is happening until steel starts to rise. We've been burned too many times before. But I'm trying to remain hopeful.

23 hours ago, VSRJ said:

I won't believe the hotel is happening until steel starts to rise. We've been burned too many times before. But I'm trying to remain hopeful.

This hotel is actually financed and is part of the convention center expansion and COGICs return to Memphis its the most going to happen large project we have.  No worries sir, im an architect right up the street 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Memphis4ever said:

This hotel is actually financed and is part of the convention center expansion and COGICs return to Memphis its the most going to happen large project we have.  No worries sir, im an architect right up the street 

That's great to hear!

The Downtown Memphis Instagram posted an update of the 18 S. Main renovation:

IMG_2E0521C71E2B-1.thumb.jpeg.a96fa394ecdddb46088ae57a6f9eb6c9.jpeg

https://www.downtownmemphiscommission.com/develop-property/current-projects/18-s-main/

An extensive renovation of 18 S. Main (previously Jerry's / Murray's) into a mixed-use development that includes ground floor and basement commercial space, and office space in the floors above.

Original rendering:

18_S_Main_Rendering.thumb.jpg.2c28f563d59a021c22d431d756635818.jpg

1 hour ago, MDC26 said:

Are they putting the Denny's back in?

Haha, doubtful. Not quite on brand for Hilton. One of the low points in my college career was the 24-hour period in which I ate there twice. Not my proudest accomplishment.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, VSRJ said:

Haha, doubtful. Not quite on brand for Hilton. One of the low points in my college career was the 24-hour period in which I ate there twice. Not my proudest accomplishment.

That's nothing to be ashamed of!

I noticed on Wikipedia, they have they heights/floor count of the proposed buildings in Downtown Memphis.  I know they aren't completely accurate, as the Loew's Hotel has dropped a few stories, and the Clipper Hotel isn't moving forward.  I guess if the Sheraton moves forward, the new tower will go in their parking lot, as Memphis officials have said that they will not be able to use the land that's part of Brinkley Park (Market Square).  Impressive that the Pinch will have 5 buildings that are 250 ft or taller.  

buildings.jpg