Downtown Memphis News & Developments (CBD, South Main, Riverfront, Medical District, The Edge, Uptown)

bluff2085

8 hours ago, MDC26 said:

Today I drove by the lot where The Clipper is planned. There is new asphalt and a new parking pay station. Doesn’t bode well for the project happening any time soon. 

That was a given when you consider how much COVID-19 and an unstable economy have forced many large developments - those that were not already under construction before the pandemic - to be placed on hold indefinitely until things normalize enough to where some projects can get underway.

4 hours ago, James Owen said:

That was a given when you consider how much COVID-19 and an unstable economy have forced many large developments - those that were not already under construction before the pandemic - to be placed on hold indefinitely until things normalize enough to where some projects can get underway.

Yeah, I figured it would be one of the projects with a lower chance of going through, especially since they already removed the hotel from the plans and Fed Ex said that they were pausing on the area they were going to lease in the building.  Now that Fed Ex's business has jumped up, I thought there might be a chance they may move forward now.  

3 hours ago, MDC26 said:

Yeah, I figured it would be one of the projects with a lower chance of going through, especially since they already removed the hotel from the plans and Fed Ex said that they were pausing on the area they were going to lease in the building.  Now that Fed Ex's business has jumped up, I thought there might be a chance they may move forward now.  

Keep in mind, only FedEx Logistics is making a move downtown. The need for additional office space was always going to be dictated by demand, and with many companies letting their employees work from home for the time being, it complicates things as far as new construction goes.

2 hours ago, James Owen said:

Keep in mind, only FedEx Logistics is making a move downtown. The need for additional office space was always going to be dictated by demand, and with many companies letting their employees work from home for the time being, it complicates things as far as new construction goes.

It was going to go through but there was an exchange of words between developers and company so..... we shall see

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, VSRJ said:

That's a shame that they won't be able to save the building, but the replacement looks like it will fit the area well:

883065142_ScreenShot2020-10-05at1_05_09AM.thumb.png.aa740cbac90530889664ae2c6c1fa87a.png

Yeah, be nice if they could, but it's not too terrible.  they were just going to keep the bottom level wall facade and the smoke stack.  I won't complain if its exorbitantly cost prohibitive.  At least they are planning on reusing the bricks.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think this "skinny skyscraper" proposal is going to get anywhere, but it's worth sharing nonetheless.

Local development team proposes $180M tower near the Pyramid

By Jacob Steimer, Memphis Business Journal

https://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/news/2020/10/16/locals-propose-40-story-tower-near-pyramid.html?cx_testId=40&cx_testVariant=cx_32&cx_artPos=0#cxrecs_s

The building would contain 85 condominiums, a high-end hotel, and 20,000 square feet of commercial space, according to the overview. It would be located at 369 and 371 N. Main St.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, James Owen said:

I don't think this "skinny skyscraper" proposal is going to get anywhere, but it's worth sharing nonetheless.

https://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/news/2020/10/16/locals-propose-40-story-tower-near-pyramid.html?cx_testId=40&cx_testVariant=cx_32&cx_artPos=0#cxrecs_s

I think the the strength of the development team and outside investors will determine if this gets off the ground.  personally memphis has such a low  condo supply they will sale.  I think this is the wrong location that would fit great at that one beale site or the clipper site.  But a strong financial backing could get this off the ground quick.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, James Owen said:

Well this was unexpected. I have no doubts the building will look good with HOK as the architects, but that rendering looks like absolute dog poop. My 9 year old could have drawn something better. I’m surprised they let it even see the light of day. I guess they didn’t want to spend more than 50 cents until they know if they can get the land from the city.  As far as getting approved, I don’t see the city turning down a $180 million project in an area that’s been begging for development. I wonder if there will be drama with Intrator over who gets the land. He already lost earnest money on the Nylon Net building that he was supposed to buy.  I really don’t care who gets it, I just hope these plans in the Pinch come to fruition, because empty parking lots have sat there for way too long. 

How embarrassing for Memphis and for those involved. The proposed tall/skinny tower In the midst of all those parking lots, surely must be a joke.  The city needs to condemn and raze 100 North Main and the Sterrick Bldg. — both are urban blight.  If the long promised One Beale tower could never materialize in a much better location, this one is not happening. 

Edited by dxfret

11 hours ago, dxfret said:

How embarrassing for Memphis and for those involved. The proposed tall/skinny tower In the midst of all those parking lots, surely must be a joke.  The city needs to condemn and raze 100 North Main and the Sterrick Bldg. — both are urban blight.  If the long promised One Beale tower could never materialize in a much better location, this one is not happening. 

You’re just a bundle of joy. Always here to give praise. 

3 hours ago, VSRJ said:

So what’s the red line for?

• Like 2