Downtown Memphis News & Developments (CBD, South Main, Riverfront, Medical District, The Edge, Uptown)

bluff2085

6 hours ago, MDC26 said:

But will there be another convention hotel to go with it?

https://wreg.com/news/pandemic-puts-loews-hotel-on-hold-in-downtown-memphis/

6 hours ago, DRG901 said:

I hope so... I was expecting this.  Terrible time for anyone to finance a hotel.  Hopefully once the market improves but who knows how things will pan out for the next couple of years.

I think something will happen in regards to the Loews project, though it's a matter of when and not if at this point. COVID forced a lot of things to be placed on hold, and it may be late next year before we see some actual construction happen.

• 2 weeks later...

On 10/28/2020 at 9:14 AM, DowntownUrbanite said:

Nylon Net Building Demolition Board of Adjustment Meeting October 28, 2020

Demolition of this structure would be extremely detrimental to the South Main Area and the Board of Adjustment should defer the request until more study can be completed. We must find a way to preserve at least portions of this landmark especially along Vance Avenue.

In 2004 LRK created a beautiful design for the building which kept the original structure and added several floors above which can be found at the link at the end of this reply. What a great vision that 2004 design was for the property. I hope the Board of Adjustment does the right thing and Carlisle reaches out to LRK to discuss the 2004 design.

Screen-Shot-2020-10-27-at-12.34.06-PM.png

https://storyboardmemphis.org/planning-board/a-vision-for-the-nylon-net-building-7-vance/

This is an ideal development for this building, because it will preserve the structure while creating density.  I was reading on another platform where someone recommended developing the building into something like the Terminal Market in Philadelphia. 

• Like 1

On 11/18/2020 at 9:31 AM, MDC26 said:

This has changed the look of the skyline driving across the M bridge, into downtown, and it's an eye catcher.  I watched an interview Kevin Kane gave to a local reporter, and he mentioned this is game changer, for hosting conventions in Memphis, and he's already talking about expanding the CC. I wish the Sheraton had made their upgrades while the CC was going through with its renovations. 

• 1 month later...

Memphian preps 10 acres near Downtown for catalytic development

From the Memphis Business Journal-  property purchased South of the South Main District with ideas for redevelopment.  Would be nice to see more investment pushing South.  

Frank Smith preps 10 acres on E.H. Crump Boulevard for Downtown development - Memphis Business Journal (bizjournals.com)

"Not a developer himself, Smith got in touch with Anna Holtzclaw, who coordinates the Memphis Real Estate Diversity Initiative for Urban Land Institute (ULI) Memphis. Through the program, three teams of aspiring developers designed potential projects for the site. The teams presented that work on Dec. 14, 2020.

One of the teams pitched a mixed-use development with entertainment and retail space, a mix of market-rate and low-income apartments, and some townhomes. Another pitched a retail and entertainment-focused development with an amphitheater, restaurants, and creative workspace. The third pitched a 125,000-square-foot greenhouse and 247 apartments, along with 14,000 square feet of retail.

Smith said he loved the idea to build a greenhouse or other facilities that could help the city’s agriculture technology industry. And, along with the residential and commercial possibilities, he said he could foresee a school on the site.

Whatever is built on the 10 acres, though, Smith wants it to feel like an extension of South Main Street. If he’s successful at doing that, it could play a major role in pushing investors to look south of Downtown’s core."

3 hours ago, DRG901 said:

Memphian preps 10 acres near Downtown for catalytic development

From the Memphis Business Journal-  property purchased South of the South Main District with ideas for redevelopment.  Would be nice to see more investment pushing South.  

Frank Smith preps 10 acres on E.H. Crump Boulevard for Downtown development - Memphis Business Journal (bizjournals.com)

"Not a developer himself, Smith got in touch with Anna Holtzclaw, who coordinates the Memphis Real Estate Diversity Initiative for Urban Land Institute (ULI) Memphis. Through the program, three teams of aspiring developers designed potential projects for the site. The teams presented that work on Dec. 14, 2020.

One of the teams pitched a mixed-use development with entertainment and retail space, a mix of market-rate and low-income apartments, and some townhomes. Another pitched a retail and entertainment-focused development with an amphitheater, restaurants, and creative workspace. The third pitched a 125,000-square-foot greenhouse and 247 apartments, along with 14,000 square feet of retail.

Smith said he loved the idea to build a greenhouse or other facilities that could help the city’s agriculture technology industry. And, along with the residential and commercial possibilities, he said he could foresee a school on the site.

Whatever is built on the 10 acres, though, Smith wants it to feel like an extension of South Main Street. If he’s successful at doing that, it could play a major role in pushing investors to look south of Downtown’s core."

Well that should be interesting.  Development starting to creep along on that end, and hopefully, should start to pick up.  Ghost River and Crescent Bluff are down there and every new thing should get the ball rolling faster.  Hopefully someone will turn those two big United Warehouse buildings into apartments.  

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I wasn't really sure if this should be in the Downtown or Midtown section but it's in the Medical District, soo..

$56M mixed-use development proposed for Medical District

$56M mixed-use development proposed for Medical District - Memphis Local, Sports, Business & Food News | Daily Memphian

"A $55.7 million mixed-use development is proposed for nearly the entire block along Union, between Cleveland and Claybrook.

The 2.9-acre development would rise where First Horizon and IberiaBank branches now operate in the Medical District"

"Called URBN on Union, the development comprises 270 apartment units, 17,500 square feet of ground floor retail and 411-space parking structure."

<strong>A rendering of URBN on Union Avenue.</strong>&nbsp;(Credit: Dynamik Design)

<strong>The way the south side of the development would look.</strong> (Credit: Dynamik Design)

<strong>Site plan for URBN on Union.</strong> (Credit: DMC)

• Like 3

4 hours ago, DRG901 said:

I wasn't really sure if this should be in the Downtown or Midtown section but it's in the Medical District, soo..

$56M mixed-use development proposed for Medical District - Memphis Local, Sports, Business & Food News | Daily Memphian

"A $55.7 million mixed-use development is proposed for nearly the entire block along Union, between Cleveland and Claybrook.

The 2.9-acre development would rise where First Horizon and IberiaBank branches now operate in the Medical District"

"Called URBN on Union, the development comprises 270 apartment units, 17,500 square feet of ground floor retail and 411-space parking structure."

<strong>A rendering of URBN on Union Avenue.</strong>&nbsp;(Credit: Dynamik Design)

<strong>The way the south side of the development would look.</strong> (Credit: Dynamik Design)

I always drive by this site and wonder when a large development will come, now the next large site is where the office max building is located about 2 blocks up the street.  I like the scale and design of this one.

10 hours ago, DRG901 said:

If they're going to do a massive development like this, they should also purchase the coffee shop property as well to connect everything together.

This along with what is currently being planned on Claybrook right next to Methodist should make for some very nice residential infill over the next few years in the Medical District.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, James Owen said:

If they're going to do a massive development like this, they should also purchase the coffee shop property as well to connect everything together.

This along with what is currently being planned on Claybrook right next to Methodist should make for some very nice residential infill over the next few years in the Medical District.

I would assume that they tried to buy that property, but the owner either wouldn't sell, or wanted way more than they were willing to purchase it for, so they just made plans without it.  Wells Fargo might have not been willing to sell either.  The Iberia bank building looks a lot nicer than the Wells Fargo building and has a better urban design.  Too bad they didn't try to get Wells Fargo to trade properties to keep the better looking building.  I also hope they keep the trees along Cleveland St.

Regardless, it will be a big improvement to the area.  

19 hours ago, Memphis4ever said:

I always drive by this site and wonder when a large development will come, now the next large site is where the office max building is located about 2 blocks up the street.  I like the scale and design of this one.

I would say the next would be about half a mile down at the former police station site. A huge property that's recently vacant now and is looking for a developer to propose ideas .

22 minutes ago, TheKernel91 said:

I would say the next would be about half a mile down at the former police station site. A huge property that's recently vacant now and is looking for a developer to propose ideas .

Yup.  That property is 4.5 acres.  I think the city has been fielding proposals for that.  

I wonder if this project is about to move forward?

https://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/news/2017/02/08/city-approves-madison-ave-boutique-hotel-for-9.html

The reason I bring it up is from this article, which states they are moving from 158 Madison because of a change of plans with its owner.  

https://dailymemphian.com/article/19862/mmbcc-making-short-move-to-200-jefferson-tower

158madison.png

Anyone have a Commercial Appeal subscription? I want to know what is this "Project Afterburner" and how it's suppose to shape the city's future.

https://www.commercialappeal.com/restricted/?return=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.commercialappeal.com%2Fstory%2Fnews%2F2021%2F02%2F17%2Fhow-project-afterburner-became-plan-shape-memphis-future%2F4234070001%2F

Edited by TheKernel91