Downtown Memphis News & Developments (CBD, South Main, Riverfront, Medical District, The Edge, Uptown)

bluff2085

On 4/19/2021 at 9:18 AM, MDC26 said:

Very sad and scary.  Unfortunately, I think crime has been one of the things that has held Memphis back economically.  It definitely factors in for some people thinking about investing, locating businesses, or moving to Memphis.  

Downtown used to be one of the safest places in Memphis, but it no longer appears that way.  This occurred right in the heart of the entertainment district before 10pm on a Saturday night.  

https://wreg.com/news/man-dead-after-shooting-in-downtown-memphis-2/

Crime is not holding down economics being in a poor region with mostly industrial portfolio has.  But with the large amount of projects going on in Memphis at this point things will be fine.  I go downtown almost every day  and I work down there you do not hear or see violence on a daily basis, typically families out walking, cars playing music and hundreds of scooters just regular city stuff.

• 3 weeks later...
16 hours ago, LA_TN said:

I-40 Hernando DeSoto Bridge closed immediately due to a crack. Vehicle and, also, all river traffic is suspended until further notice

https://www.tn.gov/tdot/news/2021/5/11/i-40-hernando-desoto-bridge-shut-down-for-repairs.html

Probably not gonna be good news...

TDOT is holding a press conference and will be on Facebook live at 10:30 am

**UPDATE**

River traffic will remain blocked for another 1-2 days for bridge analysis. Further decisions will be made after the analysis is completed. Could be closed weeks

Vehicle traffic - depending on analysis, could reopen a portion of the bridge, or be closed for weeks to months

At this time, the inspection team is not allowed on the bridge until further analysis is completed. At that point, they will inspect the remainder of the bridge

24x32 load bearing box beam with interior wielding, 3 of 4 plates have separated from the beam, crack along bottom 20% of beam. The crack was very obvious from a distance and 911 was called immediately to close the bridge

Looks bad

FB_IMG_1620841576262.jpg.44d917271698debd36ca3cd3f453ebe3.jpg

FB_IMG_1620841573685.thumb.jpg.b70ebd6d855604fd41b352a2ae9a96ec.jpg

FB_IMG_1620841570909.jpg.705b745b5f4e4503099666c694830af7.jpg

Edited by LA_TN
Additional info
  • Sad 1

The shutdown of the I-40 bridge coupled with the traffic headaches its causing for everyone is, quite honestly, all the more reason we needed another bridge across the Mississippi River decades ago (I actually believe we need two new bridges). There had been multiple studies done about this dating back to the 90s, but each and every time, no action is taken as state leaders and officials in Tennessee, Arkansas, and Mississippi keep dragging their feet on doing anything because the funding is not there.

Right now, the only other bridge crossings near Memphis are both roughly a 90+ minute drive away from the city in Caruthersville, MO/Dyersburg, TN to the north and Helena-West Helena, AR to the south.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, James Owen said:

The shutdown of the I-40 bridge coupled with the traffic headaches its causing for everyone is, quite honestly, all the more reason we needed another bridge across the Mississippi River decades ago (I actually believe we need two new bridges). There had been multiple studies done about this dating back to the 90s, but each and every time, no action is taken as state leaders and officials in Tennessee, Arkansas, and Mississippi keep dragging their feet on doing anything because the funding is not there.

Right now, the only other bridge crossings near Memphis are both roughly a 90+ minute drive away from the city in Caruthersville, MO/Dyersburg, TN to the north and Helena-West Helena, AR to the south.

What about the I-55 bridge... Is that one shutdown too? 

Mississippi River reopened for barge traffic this morning

As of 9:00 a.m. CT Friday, we’ve opened up the river to commerce on the water. At last count, there were 39 northbound vessels carrying 981 barges. There were 28 southbound vessels with 477 barges lined up

• Like 1

On 5/12/2021 at 12:53 PM, James Owen said:

Yeah, they did this study https://www.tdot.tn.gov/PublicDocuments/TransportationStudies/MRCstudy.pdf about 10 years ago, and the report is almost 200 pages.  After it came out, that was it.  Like it was just forgotten about.  Ideally, two new bridges would be optimal.  One to the North, either connecting I-55 in Arkansas to the I-69/ US 51 interchange or to the Hwy385/US51 intersection.  And then to the South, connecting I-40 in Arkansas to the I-69/US61 Intersection.  That way, the I-55 bridge/Crump intersection could be reconfigured as planned without disrupting things too much.  This would also divert a lot of traffic from going through the heart of Memphis, drastically reducing congestion.  It could also be possible to remove all trucks from the I-55 bridge at that point to make that bridge last a little longer.  To do all that would probably just cost $3-4 billion.  That's all.  

A contractor has been named to start the bridge repair: https://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/news/2021/05/18/bridge-contractor-named-governors-visit-memphis.html

Roadway traffic is still not flowing on I-40 across the Hernando de Soto Bridge but the process to make that happen is progressing.

The Tennessee Department of Transportation (TDOT) announced late May 17 that Nebraska-based Kiewit Corp. was awarded the contract for emergency repairs on the I-40 bridge at Memphis.

TDOT said Kiewit will start work today, May 18, on the bridge project, and that Kiewit was selected based on the firm’s “qualifications, experience, and availability of personnel and equipment.” The firm has worked on several large-scale bridge projects in the past.

• 2 weeks later...

Pinch-area property near Pyramid bought by developer with $40M plan

"A local real estate broker and investor wants to develop a hotel and condos Downtown, on a North Front Street property situated within walking distance of the Pyramid.

On May 11, Ashaif Enterprises purchased the property at 463 N. Front Street on May 11 for $715,000, according to a transaction filed with the Shelby County Register of Deeds; and this week, a demolition permit application was filed for the site. The 6,800-square-foot-building, which sits on a half-acre lot, had last been purchased in 1999, for $200,000.

When MBJ spoke this week with Nash Hassen — principal of Ashaif Enterprises — he said he couldn’t discuss his plans in detail, as he and his team are still working through design plans. But, he did say he’s hoping to create a mixed-use development, with condos and a hotel, and that the estimated cost of the project would be $40 million to $45 million."

From the MBJ:

Pinch-area property at 463 N. Front St. near Pyramid bought by developer Nash Hassen, with $40M plan for condos/hotel. - Memphis Business Journal (bizjournals.com)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DRG901 said:

Pinch-area property near Pyramid bought by developer with $40M plan

"A local real estate broker and investor wants to develop a hotel and condos Downtown, on a North Front Street property situated within walking distance of the Pyramid.

On May 11, Ashaif Enterprises purchased the property at 463 N. Front Street on May 11 for $715,000, according to a transaction filed with the Shelby County Register of Deeds; and this week, a demolition permit application was filed for the site. The 6,800-square-foot-building, which sits on a half-acre lot, had last been purchased in 1999, for $200,000.

When MBJ spoke this week with Nash Hassen — principal of Ashaif Enterprises — he said he couldn’t discuss his plans in detail, as he and his team are still working through design plans. But, he did say he’s hoping to create a mixed-use development, with condos and a hotel, and that the estimated cost of the project would be $40 million to $45 million."

From the MBJ:

Pinch-area property at 463 N. Front St. near Pyramid bought by developer Nash Hassen, with $40M plan for condos/hotel. - Memphis Business Journal (bizjournals.com)

I highlighted the area in which the proposed development would be located. There isn't too much space to work with considering the northern and western sides of the property are bordered by trolley/rail lines, so I would assume whatever gets built on that site would either sit on top of a garage structure or have off-site parking.

169564259_463NFrontSt-GoogleMapsMozillaFirefox5_31_202112_54_40PM.thumb.png.3ba7291ed7e6bd8c1d996f87aef3ccab.png

• Like 1

On 5/31/2021 at 2:20 PM, James Owen said:

I highlighted the area in which the proposed development would be located. There isn't too much space to work with considering the northern and western sides of the property are bordered by trolley/rail lines, so I would assume whatever gets built on that site would either sit on top of a garage structure or have off-site parking.

169564259_463NFrontSt-GoogleMapsMozillaFirefox5_31_202112_54_40PM.thumb.png.3ba7291ed7e6bd8c1d996f87aef3ccab.png

There was something on WMC about it last night with a few more details-

$40M development could come to Pinch District in Memphis (wmcactionnews5.com)

"WMC spoke to the principal of Ashaif Enterprises, Nash Hassen, who says he wants to turn the lot into a 15-story mixed-use building with parking underneath.

The building would include a hotel with about 80 to 100 rooms, approximately 30 condos, and a restaurant.

The project carries a $40 million price tag. The project would have a Memphis history concept and perfect view of the Pyramid.

Hassen says plans are still in the early stages and may change based on the design."

Nice infill coming to South Main:

Intrator's South Main infill approved by Downtown board, after revisions

https://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/news/2021/06/02/intrators-south-main-in-fill-project-approved.html

screen-shot-2021-06-02-at-53634-pm.thumb.png.5f9122cc9df462ba3dd19cd224957566.png

The design for Tom Intrator’s new infill building at 386 S. Main St. got the go-ahead from the Downtown Memphis Commission's Design Review Board (DRB) at its June 2 meeting.

This comes after the project was sent back to the drawing board when DRB members had concerns regarding the building’s design.

DRB member Deni Reilly — owner of Downtown’s Majestic Grille — had commented in April that aspects of the project didn’t appear “reflective of the neighborhood.”

The 386 S. Main building will include 30 apartments above ground-floor commercial space. The project, along with others planned by Intrator for South Main, received tax breaks in November 2019.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Seems like the bigger story is what will come after the mini storage facility is built.

Uptown developer reveals plans for historic Greyhound complex

https://dailymemphian.com/section/business/article/22759/uptown-developer-reveals-plans-for-new-ministorage-historic-greyhound-complex

An aerial rendering that is part of the application package indicates that perhaps some newer, less architecturally important buildings would be removed and that adaptive reuse is planned for the older spaces.

greyhound.JPG

Edited by VSRJ
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, VSRJ said:

Seems like the bigger story is what will come after the mini storage facility is built.

Uptown developer reveals plans for historic Greyhound complex

https://dailymemphian.com/section/business/article/22759/uptown-developer-reveals-plans-for-new-ministorage-historic-greyhound-complex

greyhound.JPG

Would be a good improvement.  There's a lot planned for the Pinch district, if only it would all or majority of it get started.  

• 2 weeks later...

Finally — maybe this will mark the beginning of the long-overdue Pinch District revival.

Minority-led group proposes $50M hotel and high-end condo project in Pinch District

https://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/news/2021/07/13/minority-led-group-to-build-pinch-district-project.html

image001.thumb.jpg.300fc20be90e1db598596294bba976a8.jpg

A minority-led group has plans for a roughly $50 million mixed-use development in the Pinch District.

Members of Blues Note LLC told MBJ that the group intends to develop the Blues Note Hotel — a 100-room property — at 463 N. Front St., as well as a 40-unit high-rise condominium.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, VSRJ said:

Finally — maybe this will mark the beginning of the long-overdue Pinch District revival.

Minority-led group proposes $50M hotel and high-end condo project in Pinch District

https://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/news/2021/07/13/minority-led-group-to-build-pinch-district-project.html

Wow, that looks really cool.  It's also really neat that it will be built over the trolley tracks to give it more room to have a greater footprint and more sq ft.  

Lots and lots of plans for the Pinch.  If everything gets done, it will be an amazing place.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, VSRJ said:

Finally something that is glass, vertical and fun Memphis really needs more of this type of architecture. 

• Like 2