Downtown Memphis News & Developments (CBD, South Main, Riverfront, Medical District, The Edge, Uptown)

bluff2085

8 minutes ago, The Guardian of Memphis said:

Very true.  Should be a better representation for one of the most legendary  Memphians. Especially for all he did for the community. Kind of in a not so good location too. It would be nice if it was in another spot. Don’t know where. It’s located in a good area for development. 

I don't think the location is bad, right on Beale St next to FedEx Forum, it just needs to be more attractive.  

I wonder if there's been any long term discussion about the basketball arena.  FedEx Forum is currently the 8th newest NBA arena, but will go to 9 when the Clippers open their new arena.  Excluding MSG, the three oldest arenas in the NBA are just 12, 13, and 14 years older than FedEx Forum.  Some of the new arenas (Milwaukee, Detroit, Sacramento, and Orlando) got new arenas after 30, 29, 28, and 20 years.  Golden State used their previous arena 50+ years.  A new arena may be needed in another 20+ years, so Church Park and the COGIC church could be a site for a new arena.  

2 hours ago, MDC26 said:

I don't think the location is bad, right on Beale St next to FedEx Forum, it just needs to be more attractive.  

I wonder if there's been any long term discussion about the basketball arena.  FedEx Forum is currently the 8th newest NBA arena, but will go to 9 when the Clippers open their new arena.  Excluding MSG, the three oldest arenas in the NBA are just 12, 13, and 14 years older than FedEx Forum.  Some of the new arenas (Milwaukee, Detroit, Sacramento, and Orlando) got new arenas after 30, 29, 28, and 20 years.  Golden State used their previous arena 50+ years.  A new arena may be needed in another 20+ years, so Church Park and the COGIC church could be a site for a new arena.  

It seems out of place for a park. Outside of Africa in April what is it being used for? Africa in April can move to TLP.  RCP can be turned into a plaza that would document the history of Robert Church. A hotel or restaurants, etc. should front Beale and should hopefully extend to Southwest TN CC. I agree about the arena near Danny Thomas. It’s a good spot. When future grizzlies fans attend the arena they shouldn’t have to walk too far for further entertainment. With RCP turned into a plaza with landscaping, it would be more functional as a space. 

• Like 1

On 9/20/2022 at 4:29 PM, MDC26 said:

FedExForum is in a very good location as it is - in close proximity to Beale Street and the future site of The Walk on Union. I doubt a new arena would be needed when you consider older venues like the Climate Pledge Arena in Seattle, Target Center in Minneapolis, and Footprint Center in Phoenix have all received extensive renovations over the years.

I do, however, agree that Church Park needs some extensive work done to make it more attractive than it is now. It would be nice to have decorative murals placed on the southwestern corner of MLK & 4th that celebrate not only Robert Church's life, but other famous black Memphians as well. Not only that, but the whole park itself could be reconfigured to include wider sidewalks, water features, a playground/learning area, picnic pavilion, etc.

8 hours ago, James Owen said:

FedExForum is in a very good location as it is - in close proximity to Beale Street and the future site of The Walk on Union. I doubt a new arena would be needed when you consider older venues like the Climate Pledge Arena in Seattle, Target Center in Minneapolis, and Footprint Center in Phoenix have all received extensive renovations over the years.

I do, however, agree that Church Park needs some extensive work done to make it more attractive than it is now. It would be nice to have decorative murals placed on the southwestern corner of MLK & 4th that celebrate not only Robert Church's life, but other famous black Memphians as well. Not only that, but the whole park itself could be reconfigured to include wider sidewalks, water features, a playground/learning area, picnic pavilion, etc.

Yes, that's definitely an option too.  Different arenas have different constraints on what could be upgraded, and I have no idea what the feasibility of a major upgrade vs a new arena would be now or in 15 years.  Climate Pledge got to do a complete gut and makeover since it was done before the Kraken started play.  Target Center had to deal with the T-Wolves playing an NBA season during the renovation.  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, James Owen said:

I agree about the celebration of other famous African American Memphians, maybe that deserves an indoor space all its own near Clayborn Temple.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/5/2022 at 9:15 AM, MDC26 said:

I hope those two United Warehouse buildings on Crump get developed.  

Me too, I been waiting for a while for something to get announced. Those buildings on that lot have a Midwest look to it. Cleveland, Detroit, Chicago feel

Edited by TheKernel91

On 10/5/2022 at 9:15 AM, MDC26 said:

I hope those two United Warehouse buildings on Crump get developed.  

Me too. Just think of how Crump would look with buildings of that height or lower starting at that point and all the way to Third, or maybe even to Wellington/Danny Thomas. There's so much room for growth. I'm glad there's signs of it with the new 2 story apartment building that was recently announced.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, MDC26 said:

Haven't heard about the Dream Hotel in a while, but Intrator is seeking incentives, and made a change, with some apartments now included in the project.

https://www.commercialappeal.com/story/money/business/development/2022/10/11/downtown-memphis-development-tom-intrator-dream-hotel-tax-incentives/69544047007/

A rendering shows the Dream Hotel planned for the Royal Furniture building in Memphis.

Glad to see his stuff moving forward. Only if a high rise/skyscraper could be built at Main and Union (across from Gould's), it would add a little more umph to that end of Main. Hopefully good news will be coming about his Pinch District plans. So much opportunity there.

• Like 1

On 10/21/2022 at 5:27 PM, The Guardian of Memphis said:

Glad to see his stuff moving forward. Only if a high rise/skyscraper could be built at Main and Union (across from Gould's), it would add a little more umph to that end of Main. Hopefully good news will be coming about his Pinch District plans. So much opportunity there.

Yeah, good to see this slowly moving along! Awesome stuff in general.

Also, would be nice if the Walk ever gets developed. That is a transformative development to link a blighted part of Memphis from downtown to midtown.

Nice adaptive reuse!

Former Family Dollar on South Main to be turned into modern mixed-use with 'barcade'

https://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/news/2022/11/02/space-on-south-main-apartments-barcade.html

47-s-main-pilot-application-20221101page27.thumb.jpg.33d549915a89c74769917026b3d54f4b.jpg

The former Family Dollar at 47 S. Main St. could soon become a “barcade,” according to an application with the Center City Revenue Finance Corp. (CCRFC). 

The sub board of the Downtown Memphis Commission (DMC) is set to consider a 10-year PILOT (payment-in-lieu-of-taxes) request, which could help finance a historical renovation to the property.

Nat Newburger, who owns the building, has been planning the renovations for years.

The plans now call for 6,750 square feet of ground floor commercial space; 6,750 square feet of basement commercial space; and eight new market rate apartments on the second and third floors. 

Renderings and floor plans, prepared by CNCT Design, show that the basement is envisioned as a “barcade” space, with billiards tables, arcade, pinball, and skee-ball cabinets, and a full bar. 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Memphis4ever said:

I feel St Jude will need a topic soon they are doing site work for the 2, 15 floor towers currently.

1140735610_stjudetowers.thumb.jpg.10b5ac03011b50caa8a5aa3a5979525e.jpg

20221105_155312.thumb.jpg.f47c4b5f9c311547ececa93041df97e1.jpg

20221105_155408.thumb.jpg.a3194e3a177b3206b30dd834e0991a71.jpg

I think St. Jude is the most unheralded part of the Memphis cityscape. The development plans for the Pinch is the missing link, like Mayor Strickland said. I hope Intrator's plans aren't dialed down in height due to NIMBYs in the City Council. They don't want the view of the Pyramid to be blocked. Forget that. Hopefully after the market rebounds after some time, it will be the perfect opportunity to see his plans come to fruition. I'm glad local developers aren't handling the Pinch, or else it'd be a bunch of two story structures.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The Guardian of Memphis said:

I think St. Jude is the most unheralded part of the Memphis cityscape. The development plans for the Pinch is the missing link, like Mayor Strickland said. I hope Intrator's plans aren't dialed down in height due to NIMBYs in the City Council. They don't want the view of the Pyramid to be blocked. Forget that. Hopefully after the market rebounds after some time, it will be the perfect opportunity to see his plans come to fruition. I'm glad local developers aren't handling the Pinch, or else it'd be a bunch of two story structures.

I think it was just one guy on the planning commission, but the heights got approved

• Like 1

I just saw that Baptist Health Sciences U is planning on opening an Osteopath Medical School to start in 2024.  There will be 150 per class.  Location will be 1115 Union Ave.  If this becomes fully operational, it will result in an additional 600 medical students in the medical district along with all the faculty and staff.   All the planned/under construction residential in the Edge/Medical district will benefit from this.  \

https://www.baptistonline.org/media/press-release/bhsus-proposed-college-of-osteopathic-medicine-achieves-candidacy-status

https://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/news/2022/11/08/baptist-health-sciences-university-osteopathic-med.html

bhsu-rendering_750xx3840-2160-0-0.jpg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MDC26 said:

I just saw that Baptist Health Sciences U is planning on opening an Osteopath Medical School to start in 2024.  There will be 150 per class.  Location will be 1115 Union Ave.  If this becomes fully operational, it will result in an additional 600 medical students in the medical district along with all the faculty and staff.   All the planned/under construction residential in the Edge/Medical district will benefit from this.  \

https://www.baptistonline.org/media/press-release/bhsus-proposed-college-of-osteopathic-medicine-achieves-candidacy-status

https://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/news/2022/11/08/baptist-health-sciences-university-osteopathic-med.html

bhsu-rendering_750xx3840-2160-0-0.jpg

Baptist is quietly building a medical school campus that will rival UTHSC. 

3 hours ago, JTM1 said:

Baptist is quietly building a medical school campus that will rival UTHSC. 

They only own two or three buildings downtown, and haven't had much of a presence in the area since the old BMH hospital tower closed and was torn down years ago.

Speaking of UTHSC, they recently released an updated Master Plan that includes several new buildings being added over the course of the next decade: https://www.uthsc.edu/campus-master-plan/documents/campus-master-plan-2022.pdf

• Like 1