Downtown Memphis News & Developments (CBD, South Main, Riverfront, Medical District, The Edge, Uptown)

bluff2085

Belz plans for office conversion:

Fleming Architects has been hired to work on the project. Belz plans to spend $10.8 million on 119 S. Main to convert 77,000 square feet of office into 73 apartment units. And they would spend $6.8 million to convert 35,000 square feet of office at 50 Peabody Place into 46 units. It is 100% of 50 Peabody Place's square footage and 76% of Pembroke Square's.

https://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/news/2023/01/23/belz-enterprises-pembroke-square-convert-office.html

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, MDC26 said:

Belz plans for office conversion:

Fleming Architects has been hired to work on the project. Belz plans to spend $10.8 million on 119 S. Main to convert 77,000 square feet of office into 73 apartment units. And they would spend $6.8 million to convert 35,000 square feet of office at 50 Peabody Place into 46 units. It is 100% of 50 Peabody Place's square footage and 76% of Pembroke Square's.

https://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/news/2023/01/23/belz-enterprises-pembroke-square-convert-office.html

Seems like hotel/residential will continue to be the major drivers of downtown development.

2 hours ago, MDC26 said:

Any additional info in the story for those without a subscription?

3 hours ago, MDC26 said:

There has been some type of activity going on in 100 N Main, but I am not sure what it could've been.

I was at the Fire Museum a week ago and there were construction workers going into the building, when I was leaving the museum. One thing I hope they do is give the  building a proper name. 

11 hours ago, VSRJ said:

Seems like hotel/residential will continue to be the major drivers of downtown development.

Any additional info in the story for those without a subscription?

If you register for free, and login, you can read some articles for free.  This article was not a subscribers only.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, JTM1 said:

64211188_Screenshot(53).thumb.png.178064790c703bc78d040a90faaf867c.png

It’s great to hear they are moving forward with the cleaning of 100 N Main. Under the current state of affairs with construction cost soaring it’s encouraging to see them stick with the project. Timeline of 2026 to complete seems doable if there are no unexpected hurdles. Fingers crossed 🤞🏿 

• Like 1

On 1/24/2023 at 10:50 AM, Memphisborn said:

It’s great to hear they are moving forward with the cleaning of 100 N Main. Under the current state of affairs with construction cost soaring it’s encouraging to see them stick with the project. Timeline of 2026 to complete seems doable if there are no unexpected hurdles. Fingers crossed 🤞🏿 

Agreed. I've been wondering what will be the square footage of the condos. 

I must say, three of the developers, in this group of developers, for 100 N Main, are involved in other major developments presently under construction or about break ground. 

• Like 1

On 1/25/2023 at 7:50 AM, smeagolsfree said:

I was not sure where to put this so I figure it will get reads here.

Last night I was at a kickoff event for City Now Next formally Nashville Now Next the brainchild of one of our posters Robert Looper who moved to Nashville a few years back to work on the Nashville International Airport expansion. He has now started this project that is similar to Yimby or Curbed for Huntsville and Chatanooga and I do think Memphis will be on his radar soon. We spoke briefly and I think there is enough going on that there is room for growth. We had spoken in the early stages about cities to expand this too and he is right on track as far as where he has gone thus far as there is a lot going on in Chattanooga and Huntsville. 

If you have not been to either one of those cities lately, you need to take a trip to see what is happening. Chattanooga has transformed the downtown into something amazing compared to what it was 30 years ago when I lived there. Huntsville is starting to become a hip city but there is still a lot of urban sprawl.  Lots of high-tech jobs and young talent there.

So, with all of that being said I think he will be looking to Memphis soon as well as other untapped markets. If there are other smaller projects, please get them listed and I would encourage someone to put together a project list for the board. This would also include the surrounding area as well. I am currently doing one for Nashville. I would love to see one for Memphis too!

I hope you’re right, given the current state of the city. I pray one day we’ll catch a break and see Memphis rise above all the negativity and with it a downtown that is a source of joy and pride. Plus develop a healthy competition and co-admiration with its sibling (Nashville). 

The only part of downtown that has seen extensive transformation would be South Main. What used to be rail yards mostly is now a dense residential area with South Bluffs and Tennessee Brewery. Totally transformed the area, but of course this wasn’t in the news or heralded because of the long winded strereotype Memphis seems to draw. If you haven’t been to the creme de Memph blog, I would encourage you to. It provides the history both visually and textually (Is that a word? LOL) of many different buildings, neighborhoods, streets, etc. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, The Guardian of Memphis said:

I see nothing wrong with it. At least it will be full with AZers, hotel guests, Beale St. guests and the like. Whatever is on the ground floor should do well. 

Yeah, just adding to the downtown fabric. I wish they hadn’t taken out the skybridge on 2nd when converting Peabody Place to Service Master. 

• Like 1

On 3/6/2023 at 1:47 PM, MDC26 said:

From a couple weeks ago - Fat Tuesday opened up on Main.

https://www.actionnews5.com/2023/02/22/fat-tuesday-opens-downtown/

Good location. Why isn’t this on Beale? I know everything bar related shouldn’t be strictly for it, but just curious. Glad it’s on Main St. 

58 minutes ago, Memphisborn said:

Exactly hoping for no issues. It would be a great addition to S Main st and much needed 

The Grand Hyatt was to be 20 floors.  This Dream Hotel is 19 floors.  Not as big an overall project, but pretty comparable.  

• Like 1

More infill - good to see. But I'm still sad we lost the original buildings...

Carlisle applies to add second phase of apartments to The Oliver at 7 Vance Ave.

https://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/news/2023/03/08/7-vance-the-oliver-carlisle-ccrfc-aparmtments.html

Carlisle LLC has filed an application with the Center City Revenue Finance Corp. (CCRFC) to expand the 7 Vance site to include 339 S. Front St.

The new property at the 7 Vance development — which has been renamed The Oliver — would add 63 apartment units to the project as a second phase. The application before the affiliate board of the Downtown Memphis Commission (DMC) is simply a request to add the second phase to the scope and terms already covered by the project's 19.5-year PILOT, which was awarded and became active in 2021. The project design was approved by another DMC-affiliated committee, the Design Review Board in April 2021, although the application does state that the second phase also plans to receive approvals.

image.thumb.png.6e1610553d26ede3789afbf2d0ccc2f5.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VSRJ said:

More infill - good to see. But I'm still sad we lost the original buildings...

Carlisle applies to add second phase of apartments to The Oliver at 7 Vance Ave.

https://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/news/2023/03/08/7-vance-the-oliver-carlisle-ccrfc-aparmtments.html

image.thumb.png.6e1610553d26ede3789afbf2d0ccc2f5.png

Good news.  For those that don't know, phase II is where the building was torn down on Front St.  Was not part of the Nylon Net building.  That building was probably more savable than Nylon Net, but whatever.  

A little confusing, because the newly opened apartment project from Orgel on Front St is in the Oliver Building.  

• Like 1