Why is Nashville getting South's Tallest?

I don't mean to sound bratty or prideful, but why is Nashville getting the south's tallest. I mean I am really happy for them, but what about Charlotte image, if we don't do something extreme then we are still going to have to say Charlotte, North Carolina. You know. Charlotte need's a cool building. We have great ones but we could have better ones. We need to be known as just Charlotte.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't mean to sound bratty or prideful, but why is Nashville getting the south's tallest. I mean I am really happy for them, but what about Charlotte image, if we don't do something extreme then we are still going to have to say Charlotte, North Carolina. You know. Charlotte need's a cool building. We have great ones but we could have better ones. We need to be known as just Charlotte.

What does Nashville (possibly) getting the South's tallest skyscraper have to do with Charlotte's image? Charlotte's going to need waaayyyy more than just an extra tall phallic symbol to get a boost into noteriety. Plus, the average person won't even know that Signature tower is going to be the South's tallest, if built (just as the average person has no idea that BOA Atlanta is currently the South's tallest), and if so, it really isn't a big deal--only us urban geeks lose sleep over stuff like that.

Yeah.....the whole concept of people getting worked up over this is ridiculous......it's not like Charlotte is "losing" anything special. There are tons of cities with taller buildings that Charlotte.

LA

Atlanta

Dallas

Houston

Chicago

NYC

Cleveland

Philly

Seattle

How does adding one more to that list damage Charlotte's rep?

After Sig Tow. is built, Nashville will still be known as the home of Country Music and Vanderbily, and Charlotte will still be known as the home of NASCAR and big banks......99.5% of the country won't know and could care less that Nashville has a taller building that Charlotte.

Assuming Signature Tower is successfully built, I have a feeling that developers will attempt to repeat that success in other cities. Not necessarily Charlotte, but I'm sure in other cities around the country.

But it really has not much to do with Charlotte. Symbolic victories are nice, but really don't say anything real about a city's economic fundamentals.

you know, i for one follow up charlotte with north carolina b/c i am equally as proud of both. everyone thats worth talking to knows where charlotte is... :)

i mean whats up with peoples geography... if you asked me where a city (of charlotte's size) was, i could easily tell you the state. as could most people.... i hope... maybe i'm overestimating here.

as for the height thing. i like the signature tower just fine, so, if it does end up being the tallest i say KUDOS. but charlotte has way more going for it than just needing or acquiring a new tallest. just ask the many who move to this area daily.

you know, i for one follow up charlotte with north carolina b/c i am equally as proud of both. everyone thats worth talking to knows where charlotte is... :)

i mean whats up with peoples geography... if you asked me where a city (of charlotte's size) was, i could easily tell you the state. as could most people.... i hope... maybe i'm overestimating here.

as for the height thing. i like the signature tower just fine, so, if it does end up being the tallest i say KUDOS. but charlotte has way more going for it than just needing or acquiring a new tallest. just ask the many who move to this area daily.

There was a big news story a day or two ago about how poor American youngsters are in identifying countries and states on a map.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2006-0...aphy-poll_x.htm

I'm sure that many older Americans are just as challenged with their geography.

Archived