New England cities

PortlandME

What's your favorite New England city?  

180 members have voted

1. 1. What's your favorite New England city?

• Springfield,MA
    • Manchester, NH (nice airport there)
    • Fall River,MA
    • Providence,RI
    • Hartford,CT

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry Manchvegas,

Providence has a great skyline, is famous for its italian restaraunts, a great zoo and one of my all-time favorite parks anywhere in the Roger Williams.

I do like Manchester but its Providence by a c.h.!!!!

btw- Portsmouth and Lowell might have been on this poll as they are both making a huge comeback and are now concidered cultural destinations.

Where's PTown, MA at? That's the best city IMHO.

I think you may have been being a bit tongue-in-cheek in calling Provincetown a city, but... According to the Census Bureau, Provincetown is classified as an Urban Area on account of it's density.

Though with a land area of 9.66 square miles, and a year-round population of 3,431, the town's density is only 355.16 per square mile, the vast majority of the town is National Seashore land and is unoccupied, making the towns populated area quite dense, especially in summer. I'll try to find some more numbers.

hey how do i post pictures on these threads?

See this thread.

Basically if it's a picture you took, you have to upload it to a server somwhere, then hotlink the image file to this site. If you have a large number of pics, it's worth paying for space on a server to upload your pics to, because free photo hosting services that allow hotlinking are getting hard to come by.

If it is a pic from another site, right click on the pic. It will bring up a list. Click on properties, and then find the image address (URL). Then you can post it by using IMG tags.

Oh c'mon. How could you go wrong with no sales tax or income tax. :) Manchesters Skyline is very nice. Infact we are getting an addition to it. Well sorta. A 7 story lux condo building is going up soon with a parking garage under it. The orginal plan was two HIGH RISE BUILDINGS but for some odd reason they didnt want that and went for the shorter one. Oh What could have been.

Guest donaltopablo

I think you may have been being a bit tongue-in-cheek in calling Provincetown a city, but... According to the Census Bureau, Provincetown is classified as an Urban Area on account of it's density.

Though with a land area of 9.66 square miles, and a year-round population of 3,431, the town's density is only 355.16 per square mile, the vast majority of the town is National Seashore land and is unoccupied, making the towns populated area quite dense, especially in summer. I'll try to find some more numbers.

Yeah, PTown isn't really a city. A town would be a better definition, LOL. Still my favorite place in NE though.

Say, speaking of cities - where's Boston?

• 2 weeks later...

After Boston, Providence is by far the most fun. Hartford has some nice skyscrapers and looks much bigger than its city pop would lead you to think. Most New England cities have history and architecure, and at least 1 interesting museum.

• 2 months later...

It seems many cities in New England were in neglect when this poll was made. A resident of Bellows Falls, Vermont I have visited many of the cities around New England, and find Burlington and Portland the best. Anybody agree with me? Although not exactly large cities, I still think they are great.

By the way, for the one who said Hartford looks much bigger than it's population is, you are quite wrong. (Don't know how to do quotes yet) Hartford has a metropolitan population of over 1 million.

I agree that Burlington and Portland are probably tops outside of Boston (though I'd add Portsmouth to the list). Though Burlington I would put in a class with cities like Northampton, Mass. and Newport, RI since it's really much smaller than cities like Providence, Worcester, and Hartford. Portsmouth and Portland are also quite small compared to the southern New England cities.

It seems many cities in New England were in neglect when this poll was made. A resident of Bellows Falls, Vermont I have visited many of the cities around New England, and find Burlington and Portland the best. Anybody agree with me? Although not exactly large cities, I still think they are great.

By the way, for the one who said Hartford looks much bigger than it's population is, you are quite wrong. (Don't know how to do quotes yet) Hartford has a metropolitan population of over 1 million.

I would agree with Portland, certainly. It's not that I don't agree that Burlington isn't incredible, but frankly, if I were Burlington, I'd be milking its proximity to Montreal just as Manchester, Nashua, and Providence benefit from their proximity to Boston and New Haven, Bridgeport, and Stamford from their proximity to New York.

Nevertheless, I would argue that Portland is one of the most "urban" small cities in the US. (Imagine streetcars returning to service along Congress Street up to Munjoy Hill and the eastern Prom!!!!!!) YUMM.............

I believe that the original post refers to the population of Hartford "city"... Isn't Hartford still the second largest metro in New England?

"I'm not trying to be a homer, these figures actually surprised me, though I knew Providence was the #2 city in New England (slightly edging out Worcester) I didn't realize it would be the #2 metro, I had assumed that was Hartford."

Those numbers surprised me, as well. Of course as you said, had Springfield been added to Hartford's MSA it would have surpassed Providence. But all in all it's still good to see that a small handful of cities in New England are reaching and surpassing the 1 million mark.

Archived