New England cities

PortlandME

What's your favorite New England city?  

180 members have voted

1. 1. What's your favorite New England city?

• Springfield,MA
    • Manchester, NH (nice airport there)
    • Fall River,MA
    • Providence,RI
    • Hartford,CT

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

However, one city that's always intrigued me, is Lowell because of the National Park focusing on the mills.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Lowell is pretty interesting, they actually have a short streetcar line serving the mill area. There are plans right now to expand it. Lowell is one of those New England cities that fell really hard when manufacturing moved first south, then overseas. It is really turning around though, much moreso than it's neighbour, Lawrence.

I think Lowell's streetcars are the worst idea ever. Put the money towards something useful. I like history as much as the next guy, but give me a break. Lowell is still a big craphole, my friend saw some dude get carjacked and the carjacker slammed the dude's head in the door and he fell, completely unconscious. Yes, I have actually been to Lowell, and it is NOTHING impressive. If I want to see mills, there are dozens of better places that are closer to me. In fact, I think Lawrence had more impressive mills than Lowell did.

I will say that Lowell is improving, but it won't be anything like somewhere I would like to live anytime in the near future. I am sorry, Lowell is just one of those towns that pisses me off.

Woonsocket definitely has some charm. I drove through recently and was surprised at the number of buildings that had been put back to use. When the weather gets warmer, maybe I'll bust out the old Pentax and grab some shots of Woonsocket and Worcester.

I'm not saying Woonsocket is paradise on Earth. It's not. But, there are some great areas and scenes sprinkled throughout.

Off topic, how do you quote people? I have never been able to figure it out on this messageboard for some reason.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If you click the p_quote.gif under a post, that post will be set up as a quote in your reply.

If you want to quote several different posts, click the p_mq_remove.gif under each post (the button will turn red), then click t_reply.gif at the bottom. Each post will be brought into your reply as a quote.

Then you can edit the quotes as needed.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Fall River is beginning to experience some of the run-away housing prices that the rest of Southern New England is experiencing. It might be people speculating about the commuter rail line (but that is a risky speculation). It's more likely people simply discovering one of the last affordable areas of the region.

Fall River is actually quite a beautiful city with a wonderful natural setting at the head of Mount Hope Bay. It was severely scarred by urban renewal mid-century, especially Route 195 running straight through the centre of the city. It's future looks good though. There is a proposal to remove Route 79 which is a waterfront expressway.

Eventual rail service to Newport, and commuter rail to Boston will make the city the Gateway to Newport and an attraction unto itself in the future.

• 2 weeks later...

what if I said bridgeport, ct? Doesn't seem like anybody talks about that city here. I think this city is dinstinct for cities its size when looking at the ethnic diversity and make-up of the population. I should also note that it has an excellent (architectually) housing stock, and is well served by mass transit.

My aunt and uncle used to live there, but they actually abandoned an old home they owned when the real estate values plummeted due to high crime and taxes. Probably not an uncommon thing to happen to a typical post-industrial north east city. Too bad--if they'd kept the house, they would have seen a resurgence in their historic neighborhood.

Unfortunately, I don't have any pics, but hopefully somebody on this blog might.

what if I said bridgeport, ct?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Bridgeport is a lot like Fall River in that it was hit very hard by the post-industrial decline. But it has all the bones to make it into a great city again. It's proximity to New York and New Haven are enviable.

If you want to quote several different posts, click the p_mq_remove.gif under each post (the button will turn red), then click t_reply.gif at the bottom. Each post will be brought into your reply as a quote.

Then you can edit the quotes as needed.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Very helpful! I was trying to do this exact thing the other day and could not figure it out. Wish I had seen this post earlier. Thanks!!

• 2 weeks later...

Just found this whole foum website and found it to be amazing. Anyway my vote

has gone to Hartford. As a longtime resident of Hartford I have seen Hartford go through the good times and through the bad times

Currently though there are dozens of developers from throughout the country redeveloping differant parts of Hartford and it's suburbs. The biggest project is Adriaen's Landing. The project is on the eastern end of the central business district and features the 540,000sq. ft Connecticut Convention Center and attached 409 room 22 story Marriott Hotel. Across the street is the Front Street project which will be the retail and entertainment component of the project.

Another major project is at the Hartford Civic Center where a new 36 story 262 unit residential apartment tower is being built. Attached to the civic center the 392 room Hartford Hilton Hotel just underwent a 34 million dollar makeover.

The former G. Fox and Company Department Store on Main Street was converted into Capital Community College and features many retail and entertainment establishments on the ground floor.

There are also hundreds of other apartments being constructed on vacant sites or in vacant buildings. In the city's Asylum Hill Neighborhood the Connecticut Culinary Institute may move into the recently vacated Hastings Hotel next to the AETNA Insurance Company complex.

Hartford has many current features as a result of the cultural diversity of the region. The South End is known as Little Italy and features many Italian bakeries and restaurants. Park Street draws Hispanics from all over the region and from as far as Springfield to shop.

Lastly Hartford has come to realize the value of the Connecticut River as Riverfront Recapure shows. A huge park sits at the banks of the CT River in downtown and there are walking trails up and down the river throughout the Greater Hartford Area.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived