New England cities

PortlandME

What's your favorite New England city?  

180 members have voted

1. 1. What's your favorite New England city?

• Springfield,MA
    • Manchester, NH (nice airport there)
    • Fall River,MA
    • Providence,RI
    • Hartford,CT

I can't believe someone actually called lowell a "cultural destination" Have you ever been to Lowell? If you visited, you'd soon understand that it's less of a cultural destination and more of a crime destination. I had to go through downtown a couple weeks ago and I saw two separate people getting arrested.. at noon..

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't believe someone actually called lowell a "cultural destination" Have you ever been to Lowell? If you visited, you'd soon understand that it's less of a cultural destination and more of a crime destination. I had to go through downtown a couple weeks ago and I saw two separate people getting arrested.. at noon..

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's not that bad... I like Lowell a lot, if I can't afford Boston or an inner suburb when I get out of college then Lowell would probably be my second choice...

Lawrence is worse.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'll give you that. Honestly, Lowell is getting better. It's certainly in a much better place than it was in 1990. I'm not selling my house to relocate or anything, but I will give credit where credit is due.

lowell is horrible, period. same with lawrence. most of the gangsters and drug dealers in portland are from lowell or spend time in both cities or are somehow connected to lawrence. there was a big article last year in the press herald about how most of maines cocaine comes straight outta lawrence.

• 2 weeks later...

lowell is horrible, period.  same with lawrence.  most of the gangsters and drug dealers in portland are from lowell or spend time in both cities or are somehow connected to lawrence.  there was a big article last year in the press herald about how most of maines cocaine comes straight outta lawrence.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You forgot to include Portland, ME in your list of horrible cities. It must be a terrible place full of drug addicts. I know this because there was this big article in the Press Herald. :whistling:

This is my second post here on the boards,but I am a busy person and would like to post more. What is up with the Lowell bashing. I have lived in Lowell my whole life in the same place going on 23 years. From what I gather from some of the respones here is that Lowell is some Law-Less wild west town, With shootouts on every street corner and crackheads holding you up at knifepoint. Lowell like any city it's size has crime and drugs. I don't live in fear in Lowell. There is no reason too. In my 22 years here the worst that has happened to me is my car getting broken into. I have seen my fair share of stuff go down but that is expected in an urban center. Lowell has alot of beautiful things. It would't be this way if it weren't for people who belived in the city. If it weren't for people like Paul Tsongas,Ed LeLacheur, Brain Martin and John Cox Lowell would still be the dump it was after all the mills closed. These Men belived the city could be more and every year new bussiness and buildings are being put up. We have come along way but there is still more to go.

You forgot to include Portland, ME in your list of horrible cities.  It must be a terrible place full of drug addicts.  I know this because there was this big article in the Press Herald.  :whistling:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I used to live near Portland, ME, and I can say for sure that there are plenty of drug addicits in the city's downtown region. I would still consider it to be a more desirable city to visit/live in than either Lowell or Lawrence, Mass, however. I agree.

The addicts and homeless do not make the city.  Some of the best cities have a ton of homeless....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You are correct, but those cities have managed to avoid being characterized by their homeless and addicts. Other cities are not so fortunate.

Also, this is not a piece to an argument, just an interesting fact: Portland has recently dumped millions into building a complex (not a shelter, but similar to apartments) for their chronically homeless, something few other cities have done.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's an interesting concept. I'd think most cities would try to just pass the homeless to another close city. When is it slated to be done?

Speaking of this:

The City of Hartford has a plan to stop homelessness in the city but does not want to spend the money to put this plan into affect, you'd think they would want to do this with more then 1000 new apartments being built in downtown alone they may want to help the homeless so that these new residents and older residents dont clash.

The complex someone mentioned in Portland is similar to something they want done in Hartford. A company that converts buildings into apartments for homeless people was given a building in downtown Hartford (through an estate) which was previously Class A office space and the building is still very fancy but located right by Bushnell Park, State Capital and the thousands of new apartments being built. They wanted to turn it into housing for the poor, the city fought them though saying it was prime downtown real estate so they agreed to build middle-income apartments (an alternative to the upscale ones under construction) and find an alternate location for these apartments in another neighborhood of the city.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

While you are speaking of Bridgeport, Bridgeport Mayor John Fabrizzi authorized the seizure of 14.5 acres of the city's waterfront by eminent domain so that it can be part of the city's redevelopment project on the waterfront.

The entire site redevelopment site includes 55 acres and is entitled Bridgeport Point. The project at a cost of 800million would bring more then 2,000 residentital units to the waterfront, 500,000 square feet of office space, 500,000 square feet of retail space and a marina.

While you are speaking of Bridgeport, Bridgeport Mayor John Fabrizzi authorized the seizure of 14.5 acres of the city's waterfront by eminent domain so that it can be part of the city's redevelopment project on the waterfront.

The entire site redevelopment site includes 55 acres and is entitled Bridgeport Point. The project at a cost of 800million would bring more then 2,000 residentital units to the waterfront, 500,000 square feet of office space, 500,000 square feet of retail space and a marina.

Good for him, that tract of land has sat dormant forever it seems, and it's prime waterfront property... and a lot of it.

• 2 months later...

Archived