New England cities

PortlandME

What's your favorite New England city?  

180 members have voted

1. 1. What's your favorite New England city?

• Springfield,MA
    • Manchester, NH (nice airport there)
    • Fall River,MA
    • Providence,RI
    • Hartford,CT

Agree; except that Providence is "national". With the Patriots, TV/movies (a host of movies, Providence, The Brotherhood, Family Guy, etc), it's "rennaisance" reputation, culinary arts (J&W, etc), historical features, it is a true "destination. However, it is "trying to figure out" how to sustain and expand it...a major challenge for NE's second largest city.

Tough for any big-but not very big-northeastern city/metro. It is so much easier and less expensive for southern cities due to climate, labor, brick and mortar, geography, cost of living, infrastructure, etc.

the southern cities are also a bit younger than providence, if you will. it's easier for them to learn from others' mistakes. providence is trying to clean up from mistakes... kind of like hartford...

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hartford was a national city for a very long time up until 1997 when the Whalers left in my opinion. We still have a corporate pressence and regional wealth that dwarfs many other larger cities/ regions. Hartford will be national again, we will get international flights, we will get an NHL team and we will be where we belong once again. We really have too much going for us not to, to tell you the truth. It's a matter of patience for us faithfuls. We are the 3rd most attractive market nationally for big league sports expansion and have the 2nd highest salaries in the nation. I forget where we fall, but I believe we are also in the top 10 wealthiest metro areas. Don't jump down my throat on that last one if I'm wrong, I thought I saw a list a while back.

Hartford was a national city for a very long time up until 1997 when the Whalers left in my opinion. We still have a corporate pressence and regional wealth that dwarfs many other larger cities/ regions. Hartford will be national again, we will get international flights, we will get an NHL team and we will be where we belong once again. We really have too much going for us not to, to tell you the truth. It's a matter of patience for us faithfuls. We are the 3rd most attractive market nationally for big league sports expansion and have the 2nd highest salaries in the nation. I forget where we fall, but I believe we are also in the top 10 wealthiest metro areas. Don't jump down my throat on that last one if I'm wrong, I thought I saw a list a while back.

bradley international airport doesn't have any international flights?

Well we have Montreal, Toronto, and PR. I was really referring to trans-atlantic flights. Here is our destination list.

Destination Airport Code

Atlanta, GA ATL

Baltimore, MD BWI

Buffalo, NY BUF

Charlotte, NC CLT

Chicago, IL – Midway MDW

Chicago, IL – O’Hare ORD

Cleveland, OH CLE

Columbus, OH CMH

Cincinnati, OH CVG

Dallas-Fort Worth, TX DFW

Detroit, MI DTW

Fort Lauderdale, FL FLL

Fort Myers, FL RSW

Houston, TX IAH

Indianapolis, IN IND

Las Vegas, NV LAS

Los Angeles, CA LAX

Miami, FL MIA

Milwaukee, WI MKE

Minneapolis, MN MSP

Montreal, QC (Canada) YUL

Nashville, TN BNA

Newark, NJ EWR

Orlando, FL MCO

Philadelphia, PA PHL

Phoenix, AZ PHX

Pittsburgh, PA PIT

Raleigh-Durham, NC RDU

Rochester, NY ROC

San Juan, Puerto Rico SJU

St. Louis, MO STL

Syracuse, NY SYR

Tampa, FL TPA

Toronto, ON (Canada) YYZ

Washington, DC – Dulles IAD

Washington, DC – Reagan National DCA

West Palm Beach, FL PBI

Well we have Montreal, Toronto, and PR. I was really referring to trans-atlantic flights. Here is our destination list.

PVD even has air canada to toronto. i thought BDL would be more international than that... i think they used to be in the past...

leaps in throat.... :ph34r:

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hartford has come a long way in the last few years, you all should check it out.

It has and is continuing to become better and better every day. Now I am a major supporter of Hartford and that does not mean I hate Providence...In March I went to Providence for the weekend and took hundreds of pics and posted them in the photo section on UP andway a city not mentioned much....New Haven. I live just outside of Hartford and so am only about 25-30 minutes north of New Haven but never seem to get down there for some exploration. Yesterday I did and on a Saturday afternoon there were people walking around, shops and restaurants open (with people eating in them and outside on the sidewalks as well as shopping the shops), there were Yale students around, visitors (taking pictures), tours going on, and much more. This city was not dead and there is no major mall to draw them downtown and no major event either...they were just there. As cities try differant means to get people back into the city New Haven has people there and they have not even received (yet that is....Gateway Redevelopment is starting) major state funded projects like many other cities.

It has and is continuing to become better and better every day. Now I am a major supporter of Hartford and that does not mean I hate Providence...In March I went to Providence for the weekend and took hundreds of pics and posted them in the photo section on UP andway a city not mentioned much....New Haven. I live just outside of Hartford and so am only about 25-30 minutes north of New Haven but never seem to get down there for some exploration. Yesterday I did and on a Saturday afternoon there were people walking around, shops and restaurants open (with people eating in them and outside on the sidewalks as well as shopping the shops), there were Yale students around, visitors (taking pictures), tours going on, and much more. This city was not dead and there is no major mall to draw them downtown and no major event either...they were just there. As cities try differant means to get people back into the city New Haven has people there and they have not even received (yet that is....Gateway Redevelopment is starting) major state funded projects like many other cities.

new haven is a great city and has always been one of my favorites of the area. providence is more like new haven in many respects than it is hartford, which is probably why i like providence so much... (i'm not a fan of hartford, but that's just personal preference).

john destefano has done an amazing job at getting new haven cleaned up. the biggest mistake he made, though, in my opinion, is the tearing down of the colisseum. new haven was a major hockey town (almost bigger than hartford, i'd say), but the teams were terrible starting from when they became the senators. new haven also used to get some really great concerts. rather than tearing it down, i think they should've modernized it. i bet they could've pulled more events away from bridgeport given that i think more people would rather go to new haven than bridgeport to see something (it's really easier to get to as well, but parking was the biggest problem).

• 2 months later...

new haven is a great city and has always been one of my favorites of the area. providence is more like new haven in many respects than it is hartford, which is probably why i like providence so much... (i'm not a fan of hartford, but that's just personal preference).

john destefano has done an amazing job at getting new haven cleaned up. the biggest mistake he made, though, in my opinion, is the tearing down of the colisseum. new haven was a major hockey town (almost bigger than hartford, i'd say), but the teams were terrible starting from when they became the senators. new haven also used to get some really great concerts. rather than tearing it down, i think they should've modernized it. i bet they could've pulled more events away from bridgeport given that i think more people would rather go to new haven than bridgeport to see something (it's really easier to get to as well, but parking was the biggest problem).

The state subsidized arena was the real killer of the New Haven Coliseum. They were never going to get the level of hockey that the new Bridgeport arena would get again.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

Apropos of the Hartford discussion, I offer this data point. I was in the suburban Hartford town of Bristol researching for an RFP regarding an improvement program for a neighborhood the town thinks is slipping into a "slum." (Quotations entirely appropriate as we couldn't find this troubled neighborhood after driving around and around. Then we got the RFP out of the trunk to see the area definition. Turns out we were there already. I'll trade that slum for my Pawtucket neighborhood any day.)

Anyhow, one info gathering technique I use is to grab up a bunch of the local free papers to get the pulse of the area. I was really surprised that the alternative/arts paper was not out of Hartford, but out of New Haven which is considerably farther away.

Meaning what? I don't know. Is there a weekly alternative/arts paper in Hartford?

Apropos of the Hartford discussion, I offer this data point. I was in the suburban Hartford town of Bristol researching for an RFP regarding an improvement program for a neighborhood the town thinks is slipping into a "slum." (Quotations entirely appropriate as we couldn't find this troubled neighborhood after driving around and around. Then we got the RFP out of the trunk to see the area definition. Turns out we were there already. I'll trade that slum for my Pawtucket neighborhood any day.)

Anyhow, one info gathering technique I use is to grab up a bunch of the local free papers to get the pulse of the area. I was really surprised that the alternative/arts paper was not out of Hartford, but out of New Haven which is considerably farther away.

Meaning what? I don't know. Is there a weekly alternative/arts paper in Hartford?

Archived