Trump Atlanta Towers

AphroHippi

Trump may build in Atlanta

Tower plan has condos plus hotel

By JULIE B. HAIRSTON, WALTER WOODS

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 05/04/06

"Atlanta! You're almost hired!" The Donald may be coming to town.

Donald Trump, the New York real estate tycoon, pizza pitchman and reality TV star, is negotiating with a local developer to build a condo and hotel tower behind the Woodruff Arts Center and High Museum of Art by 2010.

Trump Atlanta, if built, would rise on 2.5 acres between Spring and West Peachtree streets in Midtown, across the street from the Arts Center MARTA station.

Wood Partners, a Marietta-based condo developer, bought the site in March for $21 million. Wood's partner in the deal is Miami-based Dezer Development, said Mark Randall, a director at Wood Partners.

Dezer and Trump have worked together on other condo projects, including the Trump Grande hotel and condo complex on Sunny Isles Beach near Miami.

Randall said the Trump name could end up on the Atlanta project, too.

"It is something we have entertained, but it is not something that we have finalized," Randall said. "We haven't decided if it's something we want to do."

A spokesman for Trump in New York said Wednesday that the project was too preliminary to comment on.

Across interstate from Atlantic Station

The would-be Trump site, at 15th Street, is near a number of high-profile projects, including the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra's proposed hall and 1180 Peachtree, the new mirrored skyscraper at Peachtree and 14th streets. The tower would be just across I-85/75 from Atlantic Station.

Trump, the Big Apple's largest developer, has been shopping for an Atlanta partner, said Marty Kennedy, a local developer and founder of Kennedy Capital Group. Kennedy is a part owner of the former Gold Club site in Buckhead.

Kennedy met with Donald Trump, son Donald Jr. and daughter Ivanka in March to discuss building an Atlanta project.

"They've had their eye on [Atlanta] for some time as the heart of the Southeast," he said.

Trump has been moving aggressively into Southern markets in recent months.

He announced in August the Trump International Hotel & Tower New Orleans, a high-rise project next to the French Quarter. He unveiled plans for a 52-story condo tower in downtown Tampa in January.

With interest rates on the low side and many consumers looking for a more urban lifestyle, Atlanta has seen a wave of high-rise condo projects in the past two years. Locally, more than 16,000 condos sold in 2004, up 30 percent from 2003.

Wood Partners has built several local residential projects, often partnering with Atlanta-based developer Novare Group.

Wood also took the condo tower concept to the metro suburbs last year with a 19-story project on Windy Ridge Parkway in Cobb County.

Trump, a pop culture icon since the 1980s, started his Trump Organization in 1974 and has hotel and condo projects across the country, including Las Vegas and Chicago.

His reality show, "The Apprentice," in which Trump chooses a new employee from a cast of competing candidates, started in 2004.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Trump may build in Atlanta

Tower plan has condos plus hotel

By JULIE B. HAIRSTON, WALTER WOODS

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 05/04/06

"Atlanta! You're almost hired!" The Donald may be coming to town.

Donald Trump, the New York real estate tycoon, pizza pitchman and reality TV star, is negotiating with a local developer to build a condo and hotel tower behind the Woodruff Arts Center and High Museum of Art by 2010.

Trump Atlanta, if built, would rise on 2.5 acres between Spring and West Peachtree streets in Midtown, across the street from the Arts Center MARTA station.

Wood Partners, a Marietta-based condo developer, bought the site in March for $21 million. Wood's partner in the deal is Miami-based Dezer Development, said Mark Randall, a director at Wood Partners.

Dezer and Trump have worked together on other condo projects, including the Trump Grande hotel and condo complex on Sunny Isles Beach near Miami.

Randall said the Trump name could end up on the Atlanta project, too.

"It is something we have entertained, but it is not something that we have finalized," Randall said. "We haven't decided if it's something we want to do."

A spokesman for Trump in New York said Wednesday that the project was too preliminary to comment on.

Across interstate from Atlantic Station

The would-be Trump site, at 15th Street, is near a number of high-profile projects, including the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra's proposed hall and 1180 Peachtree, the new mirrored skyscraper at Peachtree and 14th streets. The tower would be just across I-85/75 from Atlantic Station.

Trump, the Big Apple's largest developer, has been shopping for an Atlanta partner, said Marty Kennedy, a local developer and founder of Kennedy Capital Group. Kennedy is a part owner of the former Gold Club site in Buckhead.

Kennedy met with Donald Trump, son Donald Jr. and daughter Ivanka in March to discuss building an Atlanta project.

"They've had their eye on [Atlanta] for some time as the heart of the Southeast," he said.

Trump has been moving aggressively into Southern markets in recent months.

He announced in August the Trump International Hotel & Tower New Orleans, a high-rise project next to the French Quarter. He unveiled plans for a 52-story condo tower in downtown Tampa in January.

With interest rates on the low side and many consumers looking for a more urban lifestyle, Atlanta has seen a wave of high-rise condo projects in the past two years. Locally, more than 16,000 condos sold in 2004, up 30 percent from 2003.

Wood Partners has built several local residential projects, often partnering with Atlanta-based developer Novare Group.

Wood also took the condo tower concept to the metro suburbs last year with a 19-story project on Windy Ridge Parkway in Cobb County.

Trump, a pop culture icon since the 1980s, started his Trump Organization in 1974 and has hotel and condo projects across the country, including Las Vegas and Chicago.

His reality show, "The Apprentice," in which Trump chooses a new employee from a cast of competing candidates, started in 2004.

I just heard Trump on "The Bert Show" on Q100. He confirmed that he is in negotiations and that if it doesn't happen on the 15th St. site, it'll definitely happen somewhere in Atlanta in the very-near future.

This is great for Atlanta!

Is he coming up with his own tower, or signing on with developers who may be planning another tower? In New Orleans, he signed on with Poydras LLC, who were planning a condo tower in downtown New Orleans in the 45-50 story range, and after he signed on, the tower became a "condotel" and the height was boosted to 67 story's. The design's of the towers normally seem to come out better when he signs on with another developer, because he normally doesn't design the tower at that point. That was the case in New Orleans, and I believe in Tampa as well.

This is great for Atlanta!

Is he coming up with his own tower, or signing on with developers who may be planning another tower? In New Orleans, he signed on with Poydras LLC, who were planning a condo tower in downtown New Orleans in the 45-50 story range, and after he signed on, the tower became a "condotel" and the height was boosted to 67 story's. The design's of the towers normally seem to come out better when he signs on with another developer, because he normally doesn't design the tower at that point. That was the case in New Orleans, and I believe in Tampa as well.

Though I like the proposed site, I'd prefer Trump's development to be built at the old Dewberry site at 10th @ Peachtree. Imagine a 1200 footer at this intersection!

I preffer that the taller buildings ( 30+) are kept off Peachtree and located somewhere between Peachtree & the Connector. Peachtree is very narrow and could loose some of its charm.

• 2 months later...

So the announcement of the Trump Towers Atlanta has been all over the news. It's official now. Of course this will drum up much needed publicity for the development. I think that the towers will sell well. I did like the article in the AJC today. It not only focused on the towers...which in their first form are nice...but it also focused on how Midtown is coming alive with people and retail. This will make Midtown stand out dramatically.

While it would have been nice to have a nice tall Trump Tower, I am very pleased that he has taken the time to see the big picture. He wants Atlanta to not only have an architectural gem but he wants Peachtree St to become likened to Chicago's Magnificent Mile or New York's Fifth Avenue. This is what Atlanta should strive for. Gone are the need for really big towers....although they are nice and add interest...Atlanta and developers seems now to be focused on making a complete urban living environment.

With Atlantic Station to the west, Midtown WILL....I am sure of it...have destination shopping. There are thousands of new units being built every year. Last year about 4700 units were purchased in Midtown alone. While this may sound like alot, it's just the beginning for a metro with over 4.7 million people. I am also happy to see that many of those pesky surface lots or vacant lots are now being developed with quality infill. Who could ask for anything more? Sure, a really tall tower would be nice....but we in Atlanta should have matured enough to where a quality urban experience is our main goal. If current trends continue, we will be well on our way.

So to make sure I have everything right, he is planning two towers, one being around 40 stories, and the other around 30. Is that correct?

One source says one is 30 stories and the other tower is 40....another source says one is 48 stories and another is 30. I guess we will have to wait and see which is correct. However, he is planning two towers.

Here is a preliminary picture of the proposed development.

image_4672419.jpg

One source says one is 30 stories and the other tower is 40....another source says one is 48 stories and another is 30. I guess we will have to wait and see which is correct. However, he is planning two towers.

I guess the sketches are just preliminary but these buildings almost look more Buckheadian than Midtownish. However, that's totally subjective and I'm not sure what I mean anyway.

Either way, it's clear that Midtown is coming into its own as a major part of the city. Hooray for Midtown and for the Peachtree corridor -- our city is busting out all over!!

The preliminary rendering looks great, but if both buildings are clad in a gold facade, I hope they're able to pull it off nicely. On some buildings, a gold facade looks fantastic, while on others, it looks horrible, hopefully the design team does a nice job there. :thumbsup:

Anyway, congrats to you guys again. It looks like Trump Tower New Orleans and Trump Towers Atlanta may be under construction during the same time period, so that will be fun to watch.

The preliminary rendering looks great, but if both buildings are clad in a gold facade, I hope they're able to pull it off nicely. On some buildings, a gold facade looks fantastic, while on others, it looks horrible, hopefully the design team does a nice job there. :thumbsup:

Anyway, congrats to you guys again. It looks like Trump Tower New Orleans and Trump Towers Atlanta may be under construction during the same time period, so that will be fun to watch.

Do we even know for sure that a gold facade is planned?

If you're going by the rendering, my impression is that the "gold" is simply the sun reflecting off the buildings. I may be TOTALLY wrong, however....just my impression.

image_4672419.jpg

All I can say is that the rendering so far looks great.

As far as how many stories it will be, I can provide this:

There will be 30 and 40 stories of housing for the respective towers on top of 8 stories of parking, boutiques, restaurants, etc.

I'm guessing the bottom floors of the towers will be similar to the New Orleans tower and many other newly planned towers developed by Trump, in that the ground floors will include the lobby, retail shops, and a restaurant(s). The next ~8 floors would be parking, and from there on up the rest of the building will be residential. I'll be interested in seeing the plans for the Atlanta building, and see what it will include and how it will compare to other Trump buildings. Hopefully some new renderings will be released soon as well, though we've been looking at basically the same rendering of our Trump Tower in New Orleans for the last few months now, and pretty much the same thing happened in Tampa. The designs of these buildings look interesting, so I'm looking forward to seeing some different angles of the towers. :D

I've held off on commenting to see what the majority opinion is, and it looks like most everyone has a positive opinion on the renderings. To that I only have one word to add...WHAT????

The base of the buildings is complete and total crap, and what is that silverish looking thing in the bottom corner? The towers themselves are just more of the same glass curtains that seem to be growing like weeds throughout Atlanta. And then if the glass is gold??? I have never (never ever, not once) seem a gold glass building that didn't look like something out of a bad dream. All I can say is that I hope these are just prelim drawings. I shudder to imagine how those two gold clad "things" would look on our skyline.

I've held off on commenting to see what the majority opinion is, and it looks like most everyone has a positive opinion on the renderings. To that I only have one word to add...WHAT????

The base of the buildings is complete and total crap, and what is that silverish looking thing in the bottom corner? The towers themselves are just more of the same glass curtains that seem to be growing like weeds throughout Atlanta. And then if the glass is gold??? I have never (never ever, not once) seem a gold glass building that didn't look like something out of a bad dream. All I can say is that I hope these are just prelim drawings. I shudder to imagine how those two gold clad "things" would look on our skyline.

Obviously, the street level will have to be quite a bit different from the renderings because as it was pointed out it would violate several city codes as well as the goals of the Midtown Alliance. I assume they are preliminary drawings.

This isn't Vegas or Atlantic City. Even Trump wouldn't try tp put up a gold building in Atlanta. Would He? :unsure:

I think the gold coloring is meant to portray light reflecting on the building and not that the color of the building is gold.

Ryan's concerns are exactly why I reserved my comments to the street level treatment. First allow me to say that I think that the rendering shown is a rough design of what could be. I think it is meant to drum up interest in the development. The average purchaser of a unit in the Turmp Towers Atlanta is not really going to care (per se) about the overall street treatment. What I am going off of is Trump's own words in an interview where he says he would like [i am paraphrasing here] his towers to contribute to bringing shopping like there is on Michigan Ave in Chicago or 5th Avenue in NYC.

One can only hope that with the Woods along with Mr Trump will work together with the Midtown Alliance to insure that this becomes one of midtown's, Atlanta's, Georgia's and the southeast's premier residential addresses. Until we have a more concrete design, we will not know if the glass is gold. I don't think the rendering shows the glass as gold but rather shows the sun setting. In any case, I will continue to say that it will not be the size of the tower but rather the function.

Archived