Calvin Spoof

Every year, students at Calvin College put out a mock publication that makes fun of something in print, whether it is the application for admission or something else. This year, it appears that they have created a mock version of the daily devotional "Today" that can be found in churches across West Michigan. Here is the link that I was emailed. It's pretty funny.

www.calvinspoof.com

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is actually a ton of controversy surrounding this year's spoof. The Chimes (Calvin's student newspaper) has to get approval from the administration before they can print it. Well, this year, the administration denied it and said they would have to severely edit it before they would let it be printed.

The Chimes people refused, it didn't get printed, but they put it up online without the administration's approval. The main editor and a couple other Chimes members were fired because of it.

I'm a recent Calvin grad, so I try to keep on top of campus rumors.

I know there's one member who would probably know everything we want to know about it....

From the final page of the spoof:

"Running a Reformed college is a tricky thing. Not only must you commit to consideration of varied viewpoints and allow free exchange of ideas, but you have to appease donors who view the college as a company in which they have voting shares, entitling them to have oversight over opinions that are expressed.A major problem with writing something like what you have just read, is that it may expose the above paradox. Professors need to get paid and we need donors to help. Reconciliation between the campus and its supporters must be reached. The result is doublespeak. Hypothetically, pranks are praised and encouraged, but Campus Safety deals with actual ones swiftly. Publicly, the responsible freedom of student organizations is touted, but restraints are quietly added until

How telling that the grumps of Calvin can't take the slightest leg-pulling. How little confidence they must have in their "product!" I thought that community was supposed to have grown up in the past five years or so. Guess not!

I'm not one for shock value for the sake of shock value, its over done... especuially in "art." I'm really not supprised it wasn't taken light hearted as thoes intended it to be. Thoes at Calvin are probably taking this as a poke at Jesus. I do like the ass grab and the Planned Parenthood too!

I always find it interesting that if a Christian says something is "over the line" or offensive, they are instanlty characterized as stuck up or not-enlightened or over sensitive. The fact is if it offends 1 person it just may be offensive.

Now if we were talking about a parody of Islam, whoooo that would be offensive. Those who would make fun of the Quran would be labled as bigots and would face death threats and there would be riots around the globe.

That happens anytime when you put all your life into a book of faith. This goes for any religion -- it goes many ways.

Yup, I agree. Everyone, everyone needs to lighten the hell up when it comes to religion if you ask me.

As someone who is a product of the Dutch CRC mafia and a Calvin grad, I think that the spoof did a good job at challenging a lot of the shortcomings in the community that typically go unchallenged. I don't think that it was deliberately trying to shock people just for "shock value."

That being said, it's understandable why the administration would try to put a stop to it. I've heard the faculty is up in arms about the whole thing.

Not all the spoof's content is good satire, but a lot of it is quite clever and funny! The censorship is the best thing that could have happened to it. This year's edition has recieved more exposure than ever before (although these days WOOD TV will bite on anything, apparently). Even an offended Bob Heerspink of the Back to God Hour (which produces the "Today" booklet) has contacted the school.

What's so interesting is that the huge majority of the faculty are firmly against the censorship. They're crying foul against the administration in a big way. Even better, one of the fired Chimes writers is now applying for a position on the Student Life Committee (the group that rejected the spoof's publication). A finger in the air. :D

I always find it interesting that if a Christian says something is "over the line" or offensive, they are instanlty characterized as stuck up or not-enlightened or over sensitive. The fact is if it offends 1 person it just may be offensive.

Now if we were talking about a parody of Islam, whoooo that would be offensive. Those who would make fun of the Quran would be labled as bigots and would face death threats and there would be riots around the globe.

Well, it's a little different for a group to satirize themselves than for an outsider

to do it.

I think that it is hilarious! I think that too many people in the world are too thin skinned and need to toughen up. When it is obviously told that it is intended to be a joke before someone reads it, if they think that they are going to be offended, they should not read it.

As a Calvin alumna, I have seen many of the other spoofs and loved them for being clever, edgy and funny. But, when I read this one, I didn't really like it. It's one thing to spoof The Banner, a Christian reformed magazine, the alumni magazine or even the annual Calvin calendar, but I think they took it one step farther when they spoofed a devotional book

Archived