Much Needed Tax Relief Passed for Hartford

I don't know what effect Perez's comments had on this process, but if it made it more critical and high profile for the legislature to pass this than it works for me. My parents are homeowners and I am in the process of looking for a home as well. If the tax burden went up to where it would be given the real values of the properties it would be a pretty crushing blow to almost everyone I know who lives in the city.

Legislature Passes Tax Relief For City, But Mayor's Comments Stung

By JEFFREY B. COHEN

Courant Staff Writer

May 4 2006

With the clock running down on the legislative session late Wednesday, both chambers of the General Assembly approved a tax plan designed to allow officials in Hartford to ease the sting of increasing property values on homeowners in the city. The measure was approved 110-35 in the House and later by the Senate.

But even as lawmakers were putting the final touches on the bill Wednesday evening, it remained unclear whether Mayor Eddie A. Perez's dire threats last week helped - or hurt - the efforts to broker a compromise between city officials and the business community and get the legislation passed.

As talks were underway last week, Perez put out a release threatening to lay off teachers and police officers should the General Assembly fail to act before Wednesday's deadline, ruffling feathers at the Capitol. Several lawmakers said the move made the process more difficult.

Continue reading

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know what effect Perez's comments had on this process, but if it made it more critical and high profile for the legislature to pass this than it works for me. My parents are homeowners and I am in the process of looking for a home as well. If the tax burden went up to where it would be given the real values of the properties it would be a pretty crushing blow to almost everyone I know who lives in the city.

Legislature Passes Tax Relief For City, But Mayor's Comments Stung

By JEFFREY B. COHEN

Courant Staff Writer

May 4 2006

With the clock running down on the legislative session late Wednesday, both chambers of the General Assembly approved a tax plan designed to allow officials in Hartford to ease the sting of increasing property values on homeowners in the city. The measure was approved 110-35 in the House and later by the Senate.

But even as lawmakers were putting the final touches on the bill Wednesday evening, it remained unclear whether Mayor Eddie A. Perez's dire threats last week helped - or hurt - the efforts to broker a compromise between city officials and the business community and get the legislation passed.

As talks were underway last week, Perez put out a release threatening to lay off teachers and police officers should the General Assembly fail to act before Wednesday's deadline, ruffling feathers at the Capitol. Several lawmakers said the move made the process more difficult.

Continue reading

Then the mayor should lay them off, if the city doesn't have the money or ask for concessions from city employees. but as always nobody in city hall cares and taxes will go up as always..That is the answer everytime. Honestly have you ever seen a tax decrease?

Then the mayor should lay them off, if the city doesn't have the money or ask for concessions from city employees. but as always nobody in city hall cares and taxes will go up as always..That is the answer everytime. Honestly have you ever seen a tax decrease?

A tax DECREASE?? Yes, here in Florida!! :) (Unfortunatly, the COUNTY is think of raising its taxes! The only thing I hate about Florida, COUNTY GOVERNMENT!! :( )

JimS

A tax DECREASE?? Yes, here in Florida!! :) (Unfortunatly, the COUNTY is think of raising its taxes! The only thing I hate about Florida, COUNTY GOVERNMENT!! :( )

JimS

You'll never see a property tax decrease in CT. Everything goes up every year.

a revaluation would certainly help renters....a current mill rate of 60+ could be easily be brought to under 45 with a revaluation. as renters are, for the most part poor, and pay tax on typically only their cars, it would help to ease their burdern. It could hurt homeowners, but would help many of the poorer renters in the city, and let's face it, the city is a city of renters with one of the lowest home ownership rates in the country. I doubt it would harm the mayor's homeownership drive on the otherhand as as far as i have read, the focus is on the poorer neighborhoods and does include special mortgage and tax treatment anyways. i don't think he is helping people to buy on scarborough or prospect st. who would end up paying is commercial landlords who, through the rennasance of downtown, will see their valuations increase significantly and out of town landlords. just my $.02

Archived