Centerfest in Durham

Is it me, or is this festival starting to sort of suck? I don't know what it is, it just isn't that good anymore to me. Also, they don't even really advertise like Artsplosure does-you just kind of hear from a friend or something that "Centerfest is next weekend", and it's like, "It is? I didn't hear anything about it".

Am I the only one who feels this way?

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

HA HA HA! :D You demonstrated EXACTLY what I'm talking about. Centerfest is sort of like an Artsplosure-type event. It used to be pretty big, but over the past decade or so it has just fizzled out. I can't figure out why, and I even sent the Durham Arts Council an e-mail offering some suggestions and offering to volunteer, but I never heard back.

In the weeks leading up to Artsplosure, you hear commercials on the radio and there is usually a massive ad in the Independant and in the area newspapers. I haven't been hearing anything lately about Centerfest.

Given Durham's huge arts community, the event should be OFF THE CHAIN.

Having said that, Festival for the Eno seems to be growing...

Is it me, or is this festival starting to sort of suck? I don't know what it is, it just isn't that good anymore to me. Also, they don't even really advertise like Artsplosure does-you just kind of hear from a friend or something that "Centerfest is next weekend", and it's like, "It is? I didn't hear anything about it".

Am I the only one who feels this way?

I've only been in Durham for a few years now, but the past few Centerfests seemed to be well attended. They may have lost a few folks last year when they moved it over to West Village II area, but it was a cool venue. Has there been a marked decrease in number of vendors and attendance from the past?

It certainly wouldn't hurt to advertise it more. I was never sure how well-known it was outside of Durham.

I think they need to either take it up a notch, or scale back and make it really great for what it is. But that really can't be accomplished (nor will anyone really truly enjoy it) until DTD is "finished".

Archived