WZZM 13

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The new look is a huge improvement. It looks a lot more professional.

Agreed, I think they're definately "keeping up w/ the Jones' - AKA Wood TV8. IMO, Wood put up the appearance (at least on the surface) of a large market station. Whereas WZZM (IMO again) appears more 'hometown'ish. Does that make sense? WZZM is my 'feel good' station, whereas WOOD is my ... well....my...yeah. Maybe I'll think of the rest of that sentence later.

Yeah, I agree. 13 has always seemed a little unpolished, in everything from the stories they cover, to the quality of the picture they broadcast. I think news 8 can be somewhat of opportunistic whores. 17 generally doesn't cover the things that concern me. However I'd imagine that part of the change has something to do with the fact that in GR media Market 13 hovers somewhere around deadlast. Got to change to be competitive.

It's sad because thats my station and was the top station to beat a while back... I dislike that 13 is out in the suburbs, but I like 8 because its in city. It would be nice to hear channel 8 reprsenting their commitment to GR by saying: "Broadcasting live from our studio in Downtown GR this is 24 Hour News 8." Maybe thoes cats at 8 and 13 are reading this: PLEASE ADD OUR SKYLINE TO YOUR FRIGGIN WEBPAGE. I'll even let you have one of my skyline shots for free.

It's sad because thats my station and was the top station to beat a while back... I dislike that 13 is out in the suburbs, but I like 8 because its in city. It would be nice to hear channel 8 reprsenting their commitment to GR by saying: "Broadcasting live from our studio in Downtown GR this is 24 Hour News 8." Maybe thoes cats at 8 and 13 are reading this: PLEASE ADD OUR SKYLINE TO YOUR FRIGGIN WEBPAGE. I'll even let you have one of my skyline shots for free.

Rizzo - love the enthusiasm you dispaly. Love it. WZZM has a so-so location in the 'burbs. They have their tower planted firmly there, along w/ the weatherball to boot. (Anyone else get a kick out of Bill Steffens moving to WOOD and implementing some of the weatherball stuff right before WZZM launched the 'original' weatherball in their backyard?).

I love WZZM because they were a stones throw from where I grew up - but I am drawn to the WOOD because of The Geha (not really :yahoo::rofl: ). I'm drawn to WOOD because they make news exciting to watch. Excitig? Sure? Yeah - they draw you in, and keep you tuned in, whereas WZZM is ........<snore> No excitement :( Does WWMT 3 even show up on anyone's radar in GR proper?;

I think that any one of the big 3 would be wise to situate their main facilities or even a remote office in downtown and put up some prominent singage. Can you imagine walking out of VA arena toward Fulton St and seeing "WZZM 13" broadcasting live in the lower level of the HUGE ARSE development at the intersection of Market & Fulton? .... I'm veclemped....I'll give you a topic..."Huge developments are neither huge or developments"....Discuss....

Wow - I am feeling the flow as of late. I love this forum.

Let it flow ;)

For Division and fulton I envisioned a rolling marquee with local headlines from all the local media outlets. I think 13 broadcasted out of The Patlind for a long time, if I remember correctly they did the weather out on the street. I like to see some cool things in my newscast and having

"Weather on the street" would be cool. Not only would it be cool to see but very accurate, "I'm George Lessons out on the Weather Deck, I mean out on Pearl and Monroe doing the weather! As you can see its sunny, and not a cloud in the sky."

that would be cool, I think the coolest spot for it would be in the corner of the mckay tower, Between pearl and monroe center, the shape of the mckay would make for a cool news ticker, and if you were to pan in on it from say the patlind, would have a really cool streetscape look to it.

I wish they'd be proud of the fact that this is Grand Rapids and stop covering everything from "West Michigan." I'm so sick of that phrase. This is the Grand Rapids area. Why does everything have to be "West Michigan." Doesn't Michigan have any other cities besides Detroit?

It drove me crazy when I lived in Dayton. Everything was "The Miami Valley."

lol,

I know you're pain eagle, refering to everything as "West Michigan" is autonomizing. Makes it sound like a bunch of rural counties banding together to form a media market. I think they should just call it Grand Rapids, and the Lake shore. If GR were the only major population center for hundreds of miles, i'm sure you'd hear it called Greater Grand Rapids. But just 30 miles away you have another 350,000 people oozing up the Lake Michigan coast from holland to muskegon. Hence you get West Michigan. The same is true for Saginaw, Bay city, and Midland, these cities are miles from each other, and in separate counties, Yet they are always referred to as the "Tri-cities". And if your listening to the Radio in Flint you hear the call letters go out to all of Mid Michigan. If you watch the news in Flint, there's a good chance, that what's happenin in Flint, is being reported on a TV station out of Saginaw. Media Markets Just suck, they can kind of rob the identity of your home.

Archived