Planned Lowes in Cromwell might be in Jeopardy

drc72

As usual my town is making it difficult for businesses to come in. So in essence we will possibly be losing major property tax revenue if Lowes doesn't come in, but that's OK residents tax bills will just make up the difference. We already lost a chance to have CVS, we lost the big gas plant to Rocky Hill years ago. The plant is literally right on the Cromwell/Rocky Hill line, but Rocky Hill gets to enjoy the revenue, because Cromwell didn't want it in town. But that's OK we can still see the big gas plant here in Cromwell. End of Rant!!!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As usual my town is making it difficult for businesses to come in. So in essence we will possibly be losing major property tax revenue if Lowes doesn't come in, but that's OK residents tax bills will just make up the difference. We already lost a chance to have CVS, we lost the big gas plant to Rocky Hill years ago. The plant is literally right on the Cromwell/Rocky Hill line, but Rocky Hill gets to enjoy the revenue, because Cromwell didn't want it in town. But that's OK we can still see the big gas plant here in Cromwell. End of Rant!!!

I feel you 100%. Tell them why you're mad!!!!! :rofl:

Drc72:

Where would the Lowe's be located? I mean Cromwell has shops (Stop & Shop, K mart, Xpect Discount) along where 3, 99, 9 and 372 meet? Who is running Cromwell -- THE GREEN PARTY? I mean, what do they want to do for the BETTERMENT of Cromwell?

A Lowe's? Is someone on the zoning board a hardware store owner? Here in ths unincorperated area (Hillsborough County), A Home Depot, Lowe's, 2 Wal-Marts (yes, Two), a SweetBay, a Target, Kohl's, Dillard's, Dick's Sporting Goods, and a Publix either recently opened -- or are being built -- all within 10 miles.

Also a new Dairy Queen will open here soon! :) Or course, we have BurgerKing, Mc Donald's, Wendy's, Steak & Shake (open 24 hours), Checkers and Sonic in the area --- and many dockside dining -- Mangroves is a great place to relax while boating!

jim S

Drc72:

Where would the Lowe's be located? I mean Cromwell has shops (Stop & Shop, K mart, Xpect Discount) along where 3, 99, 9 and 372 meet? Who is running Cromwell -- THE GREEN PARTY? I mean, what do they want to do for the BETTERMENT of Cromwell?

A Lowe's? Is someone on the zoning board a hardware store owner? Here in ths unincorperated area (Hillsborough County), A Home Depot, Lowe's, 2 Wal-Marts (yes, Two), a SweetBay, a Target, Kohl's, Dillard's, Dick's Sporting Goods, and a Publix either recently opened -- or are being built -- all within 10 miles.

Also a new Dairy Queen will open here soon! :) Or course, we have BurgerKing, Mc Donald's, Wendy's, Steak & Shake (open 24 hours), Checkers and Sonic in the area --- and many dockside dining -- Mangroves is a great place to relax while boating!

jim S

There's a parcel of land near I91 and the hotel. I believe it's right next to Coles Road, but I am not sure. I'll update this thread when I find out the exact location.

This should be in Greater Hartford...

The closest Lowes to Hartford I believe is in Newington on the Berlin Turnpike.

In the big box world,

Home Depot : Walmart

Lowe's : Target

I'd rather have a Lowe's over an HD any day.

If the Town's gonna allow big box - go for higher quality.

I agree. I would rather have a Lowes intsead of Home Depot as well. Besides there's a Home Depot in Middletown already, so Lowes would bring in some competition to the area.

• 2 weeks later...

I just read in the Middletown Press yesterday that Lowes will probably be backing out the of the Cromwell location, because of the application denial. As usual my town makes it difficult for businesses to come in.

I grew up in west Cromwell where there used to be more horses and cows than people. I'm glad someone in the town is still smart enough to STOP development and chain stores! Yee haw!

Your in Florida, so you won't get whacked with Cromwell's high property tax. We need development in here to generate more revenue for the town. Your the typical classic NIMBY. I'm not saying overbuild the town, but Lowes would of been a nice addition I think.

Your in Florida, so you won't get whacked with Cromwell's high property tax. We need development in here to generate more revenue for the town. Your the typical classic NIMBY. I'm not saying overbuild the town, but Lowes would of been a nice addition I think.

Building a Lowe's store is not going to miraculously alleviate tax burdens. Even though taxes are assessed on a local level, the foundations for true tax reform lies within the state and how it allocates its funds.Overburdening and overdeveloping communities with limited population growth adds more of a strain to taxes....

Building a Lowe's store is not going to miraculously alleviate tax burdens. Even though taxes are assessed on a local level, the foundations for true tax reform lies within the state and how it allocates its funds.Overburdening and overdeveloping communities with limited population growth adds more of a strain to taxes....

I'm not saying Lowes will provide massive revenue, but we need to add some more light development in town to generate more revenues. What would you suggest adding more homes, so people can move in with their kids. Of course the kids will be going to public schools and more $$$$$ will be needed to pay for that. I fail to see how a Lowes and other small business developments will put a strain on taxes? Honestly I couldn't believe the town turned down a CVS a few years back. I fail to see how a little CVS store can put a strain on our community.

I'm not saying Lowes will provide massive revenue, but we need to add some more light development in town to generate more revenues. What would you suggest adding more homes, so people can move in with their kids. Of course the kids will be going to public schools and more $$$$$ will be needed to pay for that. I fail to see how a Lowes and other small business developments will put a strain on taxes? Honestly I couldn't believe the town turned down a CVS a few years back. I fail to see how a little CVS store can put a strain on our community.

You're absolutely correct. People over react in New England. Another reason for our poor business climate. NIMBYs!!!! Lowes will not kill Cromwell and CVS would have been convenient to those who lived near by. Those who did not would never have noticed it.

It is 2006, New England lost its charm decades ago, at least Connecticut towns did. Willimantic was once one of the wealthiest cities in Connecticut with a charming downtown that was lost when "Redevelopment" was tried and failed in the 1970's. Now Willimantic's main st is empty store fronts and drug needles. Now that the old small town charm is gone, I don't mine seeing big box stores come into town if it is going to help bring people in from the smaller towns in the region and give some tax relief.

I have always thought downtown Willimantic's main street could use a few big box stores to draw people there once again.

Home Depot recently opened shop in Windham, and now Lowes is about to open a store on lower main st in Willimantic, about 5 miles away from the HD. Keep building, Willimantic will be a better town with more options and less empty store fronts.

It is 2006, New England lost its charm decades ago, at least Connecticut towns did. Willimantic was once one of the wealthiest cities in Connecticut with a charming downtown that was lost when "Redevelopment" was tried and failed in the 1970's. Now Willimantic's main st is empty store fronts and drug needles. Now that the old small town charm is gone, I don't mine seeing big box stores come into town if it is going to help bring people in from the smaller towns in the region and give some tax relief.

I have always thought downtown Willimantic's main street could use a few big box stores to draw people there once again.

Home Depot recently opened shop in Windham, and now Lowes is about to open a store on lower main st in Willimantic, about 5 miles away from the HD. Keep building, Willimantic will be a better town with more options and less empty store fronts.

Where's that town square thing going in over at Uconn located in reference to downtown Willimantic? It still has potential; if Utopia comes along it could see some smart growth come as a residual effect of that to compliment what it does have going for it: it's a college town. Maybe every area needs its Buckland Hills or Route 2 in Warwick to get by in today's society, but downtown still holds a purpose. If Willimantic could be fortunate enough to get a few "hip" clubs and maybe a music venue or two, along with a few upper floor offices and condos/apartments it could become a hip 24 hour village. A good example to shoot for would be Thayer St in Providence (only it doesn't really have any offices).

Not to be taken as a personal attack....but, this site is called UP...meaning that its members generally are pro-URBAN development....Maybe because you live in AZ, you forgot what that means......

If this is Lowes Home Improvement stores you are talking about from NC, then they do have an urban version of their store that is designed to fit in a town setting. It's integrated with condos, has root top parking to prevent a big parking lot, and features stuff such as rain gardens. Maybe they can be talked into something such as this if they are planning a new store in the area.

It is 2006, New England lost its charm decades ago, at least Connecticut towns did.

That's really sad that you feel that way. Thankfully you are completely wrong.

Willimantic was once one of the wealthiest cities in Connecticut with a charming downtown that was lost when "Redevelopment" was tried and failed in the 1970's. Now Willimantic's main st is empty store fronts and drug needles. Now that the old small town charm is gone, I don't mine seeing big box stores come into town if it is going to help bring people in from the smaller towns in the region and give some tax relief.

Willimantic and any other city in New England shouldn't be totally written off. Cities like Providence, Portsmouth, Portland, Lowell, Newport, and Northampton prove what our cities can be when there's a will for them to succeed. Turning our backs on our cities and choking them with sprawl is not the answer.

Turning our backs on our cities and choking them with sprawl is not the answer.

I totally agree! I remember when Providence was a ghost town. While people will have disagreements over urban development and just how far it should extend into suburban and rural areas, redeveloping city and town centers has worked for New England and hopefully will continue too.

No one advocated writing off the cities. I don't like big box stores anymore than the next guy, but I don't hate them. I don't see the big deal with having a Lowe's in Cromwell, however I don't live there. I was happy when Lowe's came to Bloomfield following Home Depot's lead. But they are in an already commercial area so nothing really changed other than the Plaza doing about 1000% better now. I haven't noticed any negatives per se.

Archived