Sandler Center for the Perfoming Arts Progress

urbanvb

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Loving the construction pics, they are doing so serious foundation work and anchor work. That PAC is going to really show itself off in that area, but there is something I am worried about the PAC because I have yet to see it, is the back end of the building that will be facing Indy. I would hate to see it be a bland wall with no presentation to it. I think for this structure, the back is just as important as the front.

I decided to respond here in the TC thread about the PAC. I scanned the new schematic I have and it appears that retail may go in the PAC facing Indy so hopefully there will be no bland wall.

PAC.jpg

I decided to respond here in the TC thread about the PAC. I scanned the new schematic I have and it appears that retail may go in the PAC facing Indy so hopefully there will be no bland wall.

PAC.jpg

Thanks for posting this, I was wondering this myself. I'm glad to see that there looks to be a fair amount of retail on that side.

Thanks, guynvb. This is the first time I've seen some kind of rendering/model of how the 3-story retail/office building on the northeast corner will look like. These two buildings will definitely add some architectural diversity to the rest of TC. Dick's also has its own look but it's currently disconnected until Westin opens. Hopefully, the retail/garage portion of Westin mirrors the tower so that it along with PAC and Dick's sharply contrasts with the bland portion of TC. I hope Phase 4 continues this trend by adding its own theme.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Philly firm may run Beach performing arts center under plan

VIRGINIA BEACH - The City Council authorized negotiations Tuesday with a Philadelphia-based firm to manage the Town Center performing arts center.

The Beach would pay Global Spectrum between $125,000 and $150,000 a year, depending on ticket sales.

article

It's the same firm that books for The Ted. I guess that's a good thing. They book some good shows over there.

http://www.odu.edu/webroot/orgs/IA/univers...2222006021811PM

The Ted is booking a lot of good events. Plus, it is run by Global Spectrum, and I might expect to see more Philadelphia firms in there because of good exposure, which makes more people book more events at the Ted and the Performing Arts Center. Had it been run by a local firm, it would not have gotten much more exposure like the Philly firms do. :thumbsup:

I watch the city council meeting on the VB website on the presentation of Global Spectrum, the managment firm planned for the PAC. The president of Global Spec. gave a presentation as well as the VP who is the manager for the TED, (I beleive) a manager for the construction site, and others. It was pretty interesting and gives a bit of insight on the facility.

They said to expect another 60 to 90 days of the internal construction before the brick and glass exterior starts to be built.

LINK: http://www.vbgov.com/e-gov/estream/ccarchi...sp?councilid=23 This is the 2/21/06 Workshop. Click on "View Specific Segments of this Council Meeting" and click the dropdown box and click the second link "Theater Management Contract".

Is the retail building in front of the PAC apart of this construction schedule or will it be built seprately from the PAC?

BTW- Does anyone find that Reba McLanen (sp) rarely makes an intelligent point when she speaks or is that just me?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I coud've sworn I made one of these. :blink: Anyway, i don't feel like moving everything so just put all of your photos you take of this project from here on out in this thread.

The Sandler Center for the Performing Arts - Virginia Beach, Virginia

VBPAC-Sm.jpg

Clancy & Theys Construction Company, Auerbach Pollock Friedlander, Kirkegaard & Associates, and Texas Scenic will team together again to deliver the 1,200-seat Sandler Center for the Performing Arts. This theater will have a piazza outside that will be a public amenity, providing a flexible space for festivals, outdoor performances, relaxation, and social activities. At four stories, the theater

Archived