Sandler Center for the Perfoming Arts Progress

urbanvb

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...

I can't tell from the pictures, is there enough land along Indy? Cause from the pics, it looks like it comes pretty close to that sidewalk.

Yeah the brick back end I am not too fond of, looks like someone thought no one would ever look at it from the back, but it backs up to one of the busiest streets in the metro.

That strip of land is 18,000 sqft which is 3,000 sqft larger than the piece that Studio 56 will sit on. AH has first rights is they land commercial component for that space. Otherwise, the city can do with it as it pleases once the agreement date is reached. Also, that part of the PAC has to be windowless since it is dressing rooms, backstage and props/stage set tower. Other performing arts centers just cover it with something else: metal, columns, etc. but still a blank wall. If AH can't land the commercial (which i assume means either retail or office) the City could upgrade the facade. Who knows. But like Metalman said, patience. The PAC won't open for another year anyway.

Ugh! I hate all that brick. It makes it look so....um....municipal. I think my highschool looked like that. <_<

That is what it reminded me of....I wasn't putting two and two together. It seems like a new auditorium for a high school.

Something to think about, a 6-8 story office and retail building would be cool there. I would say condos or apartments, but who really wants to live next to Indy? That would make for one hell of a pencil building, plus at that height, it wouldnt be imposing on the PAC any.

I wanna design that!

you must have gone to Cox high school then

You mean the City jail? I remember all the theories: the design is energy saving because few windows for heat/cool to escape (also helps that none open), main chalkboard and therefore teacher face classroom door, slit windows prevent students from looking outside and daydreaming as was the problem with the previous HS design (old Cox, PA, FC, Bayside, Kempsville), and my personal favorite, City saved money by using the same design for both the jail and the new Cox High.

That strip of land is 18,000 sqft which is 3,000 sqft larger than the piece that Studio 56 will sit on. AH has first rights is they land commercial component for that space. Otherwise, the city can do with it as it pleases once the agreement date is reached. Also, that part of the PAC has to be windowless since it is dressing rooms, backstage and props/stage set tower. Other performing arts centers just cover it with something else: metal, columns, etc. but still a blank wall. If AH can't land the commercial (which i assume means either retail or office) the City could upgrade the facade. Who knows. But like Metalman said, patience. The PAC won't open for another year anyway.

No windows for the dressing room.....thats just a design flaw i tell ya. :rofl:

Definately a good idea. Anything to spice that wall up.

Yeah that was my first thought was looking at the picture. Forget squeezing another BS strip mall in the area, some classic or well designed banners like on Wells Theater in downtown would look great on the sides of the building. Long banners would set the brick off very well.

Is it me or does that look like the YMCA in DT Norfolk? It's very ugly and they need to do something with that wall.

The plan is to cover it up with a building. AH has first rights if it is to be commercial in nature and given its location on Indy, it likely will be. Also, it cannot contain a sports equipment store per the contract with Galyan's/Dick's. The PAC won't open until late next year. Studio 56 won't start construction until 1st quarter next year. I predict that sometime in next few months there will be an announcement of a 5-7 story office building with possible ground-floor retail to be built on the site. This is purely speculation on my part. The selling point of this building versus Tower 2 is that it is on a major street and therefore will have high visibility for any business slapping its name at the top.

Archived