Sandler Center for the Perfoming Arts Progress

urbanvb

So in one of the other threads someone posted a link to the city page that talked about block 6E, the building next to the performing arts center... There, it said retail and almost 60 condos or apartments, whatever they were... My question is this: I had originally thought that this building wa ssupposed to be only three or four stories tall, so has anything been said on the height of it recently?

The building initially was supposed to be a retail/office. The retail is still there with McCormick & Schmick's taking most if not all of the first-floor space. I don't believe the building will be taller than the PAC so as to not overshadow it. The building footprint is listed at 15,000 sqft. The Cosmo has 341 totaling about 387,000 sqft which averages to 1150 sqft per unit including hallways and general space. Let's assume that the 56 PAC condos average 1100 sqft. That would equal approximately 60,000 sqft of condo space which divided by the footprint is 4 stories. The retail space since it is a restaurant is about 1.5-2 stories. So the building should be equivalent of 6 stories maybe 7, or 70 feet tall.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The building initially was supposed to be a retail/office. The retail is still there with McCormick & Schmick's taking most if not all of the first-floor space. I don't believe the building will be taller than the PAC so as to not overshadow it. The building footprint is listed at 15,000 sqft. The Cosmo has 341 totaling about 387,000 sqft which averages to 1150 sqft per unit including hallways and general space. Let's assume that the 56 PAC condos average 1100 sqft. That would equal approximately 60,000 sqft of condo space which divided by the footprint is 4 stories. The retail space since it is a restaurant is about 1.5-2 stories. So the building should be equivalent of 6 stories maybe 7, or 70 feet tall.

So now knowing that, do you know how long before work begins on it?

So now knowing that, do you know how long before work begins on it?

According to the same powerpoint presentation, construction should begin in Jan '07 with completion of both this building and the PAC scheduled for the fall of '07. It makes sense that both would open together since you don't want construction going on out front of the new PAC. The Westin is also supposed to open at about the same time maybe earlier. I'd imagine that the exterior of the PAC should be nearing completion as the the Block 6E building starts construction that way construction crews don't fight over space. The PAC's interior work would be ongoing during the other building's construciton. Nothing has come about Block 6W (the backside of PAC along Independence), however, at 18,000 sqft of land, a pretty sizable building (6 stories, 100,000 sqft which I believe is the same gross space of Columbus One) could be built there backing the PAC.

• 5 weeks later...

Some screenshots. :)

PAC.jpg

PAC2.jpg

PAC3.jpg

7da53ab1.jpg

PAC5.jpg

I'm happy with the overall design, particularly the interior, but one thing i'm unhappy with is that it does seem as though the backside will be predominately brick from the fly-around. What were they thinking having just a wall (with some window apparently) facing the independence side? They could've made that side far more inviting and appealing.

Also, sorry for the poor image quality. <_<

Where did you hear this from?

City's website on TC. It's been linked here several times before, but here is the link:

vbgov.com town center

Go to Related Content frame on the right side of the page and check out the Phase III pdf's. The "Amendments to" dated June 2006 talks about the how the PAC parcel was divided into three parcels.

yeah, I have to say that I have always been worried about the back end of this building. I think it would of been perfect to make this a 2/3 of the lot building and left room on Indy for a skinny tower or something to rise there.

Would of been a great idea for urban growth.

The parcel along Indy behind the PAC is 0.42 acres. You put a 10-story building on that and you have a 180,000 sqft building. That's not too bad. AH has first rights to it if they plan a commercial structure according to the latest agreement.

Just a suggestion that after a pleasant evening of avant garde chamber music the audience could walk over for a little "think outside the bun" dinner. Actually, that's something I might do.

After? Bring the Nacho Bell Grande and large Pepsi *to* the concert!

Nothing like the Virginia Symphony and a 10 back of Tacos! 5 hard, 5 soft.

Seriously, that Taco Bell is useful :-) Wendy's is the pain. It's difficult to get back out on independence, so everyone does u-turns on Bonney.

After? Bring the Nacho Bell Grande and large Pepsi *to* the concert!

Nothing like the Virginia Symphony and a 10 back of Tacos! 5 hard, 5 soft.

Seriously, that Taco Bell is useful :-) Wendy's is the pain. It's difficult to get back out on independence, so everyone does u-turns on Bonney.

what is the purpose of your statement? Everyone knows about the Taco Bell there. In due time it will be removed. I don't think I've seen a comment from you that wasn't a smart comment.

• 5 weeks later...

Here are some PAC progress pics, it looks like they're are coming along with the facade. I would've of taken more but the $1.50 everready batteries I had just bought from the gas station across the street allowed me to take 7 pictures before it died. :angry: You get what you pay for I guess. <_<

239308423_307aaa71b3_b.jpg

239308367_b1b4832fb7_b.jpg

239308222_50ed08911b_b.jpg

239308146_57832bc048_b.jpg

239308057_50e198b7b0_b.jpg

239307979_484983af76_b.jpg

239307891_d9c72822de_b.jpg

Archived