Darryl's on Hillsborough finally being reoccupied

FYI, Pullen will break ground in October on an addition to the rear of the church, and a group of church members have purchased the Lutheran Family Services Building right behind the church on Cox Avenue.

I'm guessing the University hangs onto the Chancellors House and uses it as a guest house for distinguished university visitors, or moves some fairly self contained unit over there (like Admissions, for example).

Anyone know the history of the parcel that the Chancellor's House rests on? It is on the Pullen Park side of the "line" across Colonel Pullen's estate dividing the bequest to the University from the bequest for the Park. Wonder if the University has some sort of really long term lease from the City/Park for the Chancellors House parcel...

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
FYI, Pullen will break ground in October on an addition to the rear of the church, and a group of church members have purchased the Lutheran Family Services Building right behind the church on Cox Avenue.

I'm guessing the University hangs onto the Chancellors House and uses it as a guest house for distinguished university visitors, or moves some fairly self contained unit over there (like Admissions, for example).

Anyone know the history of the parcel that the Chancellor's House rests on? It is on the Pullen Park side of the "line" across Colonel Pullen's estate dividing the bequest to the University from the bequest for the Park. Wonder if the University has some sort of really long term lease from the City/Park for the Chancellors House parcel...

Jeff could you elaborate on Pullen's estate. What I know: Samuel Pullen was born(c. 1820?) in a house that stood at the intersection of Falls of Neuse and Durant Road and was moved a few years ago east on Durant. Pullen also developed a few lots in Oakwood, there are several brick houses (forget the street) and a plaque calling the area Pullentown. The are noticably different from the rest of Oakwood, and were developed in the 1880's. Most of Pullen Park once was owned by General William Ruffin Cox(CSA), and Cox Ave was the entrance to his estate. Mansion stood about where Flint intersects Cox. I am not sure if he ever moved from here but am sure he lived here after the Civil War and died in 1919, well after NC State was established.

• 3 weeks later...

...still killing bugs...

Seriously, what retail business in the last 20 years has opened on schedule? The inspection process lags way behind and costs everyone a ton of revenue. This is the main reason I feel that the development crowd doesn't quite have the City Council "in their pocket". If they really were, there would be so many inspectors that projects would open as soon as possible, costing developers far less.

Opening a restaurant opens a whole different can of worms than construction/development. It would be interesting to compare staffing levels of various inspections departments (structural, food safety, etc.) between now and say 10 years ago. There is probably some balance between what more inspectors would cost vs. what businesses are willing to put up with in the form of delays.

If the inspections staffing levels are the same as they were years ago, where is all the extra revenue going? Should the price of permits go up to handle the heavier load?

That being said, I doubt inspections is the reason behind every delay... Sometimes there are other factors like late shipments of furniture, food, etc. Or not hiring/training employees, etc.

Tookie's in Seaboard Station was not open as of last weekend, despite the fact that they've had furntiure for weeks.

Nearby, J. Betski's had a little delay, but I don't know if that was inspections-related or not. I don't think there was a delay in opening 18 Seaboard, but I don't know when they planned on opening.

The "sports bar/restaurant students and alumni go to if they're not at the game" category *could* be filled by the old Darryl's space, but I don't think Red Hot and Blue is the right concept to do it.

Current options aren't limited to Damon's, but are hit or miss:

- Sammys and Jax on Avent Ferry - near a lot of student apartments, so the crowd leans toward the still in/just out of school types. Not sure how good the food is since I haven't been there in a while.

- Playmakers on Hillsborough near Merideth College - a lot of big TVs, which makes it a magnet for "transplant" alumni groups from all over the country. The same can be said of Skybox in the North Raleigh Hilton and on a smaller scale at Hi 5 off Glenwood. Hi 5 has good sandwiches for the price (if they still have $5 pricing) while the other two are hit or miss.

- Cameron Village Draft House - newly expanded, good food, and usually an interesting mix of the "Cameron Village neighbors/shoppers" crowd and students, though they usually sit outside.

There are a few places with good bar food and usually routing for the wolfpack, but they are somewhat small -- Players Retreat on Oberlin, Mitch's on Hillsborough Street and the bar at Amedeos on Western.

It would be unfortunate if Red Hot and Blue are "stuck" there and/or continue to not open. A place like Buffalo Wild Wings would have been a good fit for the space, but maybe they passed on it due to ongoing infestation issues.

• 3 weeks later...

For the first time, I have seen some evidence of activity at the purported site. When I went by there this week, the door out onto the Oberlin sidewalk that leads to a staircase to the upper floors was standing open. Didn't see any work taking place or workmen, but maybe they were fixing some roof or ceiling issues upstairs?? I presume the upstairs of that building is also vacant and is part of the space downstairs that they have leased...would be cool if they'd open up the entire interior to create a multi-story space, with a retro cast iron elevator (there is a restaurant in Shockoe Bottom in Richmond like that)...

• 4 weeks later...

Here's an update. Within the past week they have erected an outer plywood fence around the front of the building and demoed the entire outer "awning window wall". I am getting excited about what they are doing as I really felt that portion of the building was out of place. Progress is definitely visible now.

post-15616-1192118917_thumb.jpg

post-15616-1192118917_thumb.jpg

Here's an update. Within the past week they have erected an outer plywood fence around the front of the building and demoed the entire outer "awning window wall". I am getting excited about what they are doing as I really felt that portion of the building was out of place. Progress is definitely visible now.

It's possible to get matching brick, although probably more expensive. We'll see how things pan out within the next few weeks. They started ripping up all the sidewalk today. I'm kind of wondering if they are going to move the main entrance to the front of the building from the corner.

FYI - This is on the Council agenda tomorrow:

1.1 1900 Hillsborough Street

A request has been received from Red Hot and Blue Restaurant to encroach on City right-of-way for the purpose of maintaining building balconies and cornices, a window enclosure and install building light fixtures. A report is in the agenda packet.

Recommendation:

Approve the encroachment subject to conditions in the administrative report

• 3 weeks later...

This renovation is taking shape. You can peer into the front glass and see the bar is basically finished... still plenty of interior finishes, but it's moving along now. I am praying that their baby back ribs are as good as Jim's in Chapel Hill (former RH&B also)... if so, I will be a very (fat? :silly: ) regular customer.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I walked by there last night and saw the staff doing some training/food tasting. I figured they would open some time this week.

The place looks pretty nice. The lighting, new carpet, decor seem to work well with the building. I'm glad I have another option I can stroll to.

Archived