Darryl's on Hillsborough finally being reoccupied

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's a great business plan right there...open up right as the college kids across the street leave for the Holidays. :P I guess that gives them just under a month to work out any kinks.

Hopefully, they'll be smart and put like a full-page ad in the first January issue of the Technician to get the word out.

It was a really enjoyable experience. The inside is all decked out and makes you feel like you're in the South. There's a few places barren, but I'm sure they'll get to it eventually since they just wanted to get open. They have instruments everywhere on the walls, brass to electric. The colors really pop at you in terms of wall colors and the floors are nice hard wood in the bar area.

As for the dining experience, we were very satisfied. Our food came fast and our waiter was always there. We got a kick about how their water glasses are mini-pitchers. That worked out well as their hot sauce had a bit of a bite to it. Each of us had the bbq sandwich w/ a side and it was plenty. We showed up around 6ish and it filled up pretty quickly by the time we left around 7:30. What was really surprising was that it wasn't just students but quite diverse. There was an old couple and a few families (one even had a baby in tow), even ran into an old friend we hadn't seen in a year.

Their location is pretty prime and even though students are going on break, I feel like they can still do moderately well. Like I said, when I was there it was a good mix of students and non-students. The employee whom I talked to said that they are going to try and open later on weekends (2am) in an effort to cash in on the bar scene as well. Here's hoping they keep things up. I'd go again.

I went yesterday for lunch before the NC State BB game, and it was maybe 1/3 to 1/2 full. (Couldn't help imagine if Reynolds was still in use, how we could just walk to the game from there, but that's another topic altogether...) I really like what they did with the inside. The bar is in the same place as before, but everything is freshened up as you might imagine (flat screens, etc). You still know you are in a 80+ year-old bldg though with the exposed brick archways and walls. We sat by the window and I tried to imagine how the experience could be even better once Hillsborough St gets redone (even on a Sat mid-day, it's not easy to cross Oberlin due to all the cut-through traffic).

The service was good, and I enjoyed my ribs. The sides could have been a bit better, but I shouldn't have ordered corn in the first place (out of season). They also have a full bar, so this place could position itself as another late night alternative spot on the the east end of the street if things eventually turn around post-roundabouts/streetscaping. With the crowds looking good so far, I think it will end up succeeding.

This place should have a leg up on Porters and Fraziers because it has an off-street parking lot. Of course, Porters and Fraziers have much better food (is that my bias for locally owned places showing?) This place will suffer a little when they start work on the Pullen/Oberlin roundabouts, because access from Cameron Village via Oberlin will be detoured for about a year. Anyone know what the detour plan will be? The obvious choice would be Woodburn, but the doctors and lawyers in that neighborhood will raise holy hell about the traffic, so I bet they detour Oberlin down Enterprise to Hillsborough...Either way, Red Hot & Blue will be sort of cut off from that direction...

Jeff I think your Porters/Fraziers regulars know the parking deal over there....on campus after 5pm, EB right lane after 5pm, Horne and Chamberlin, but a parking lot never hurts for those not in the know. This is similar to my take on Pooles, being that the regulars for them will navigate the construction zone gladly, so long as their favorite place is open again. This harkens to retail of all types and new downtown establishments....your regular clientele is essential, and locally owned businesses, especially restaurants I think stand a much better chance of being around for decades to become an institution if they can cater to and hold onto those treasured regulars. Porters/Fraziers has top notch service and food. The mix of students and professionals in teh same eating space adds to the overall experience. I believe they are nicley setup for future institution status. RH&B needs to mimic these traits if they want to be around a long time.

Archived