210 Trade | EpiCentre

monsoon

The current uptown Marriott is supposed to be converting to a JW Marriott, so that's actually another step up though it's not a Ritz. I don't see a luxury brand like a "W" at the EpiCentre. That would likely be at one of the proposed Crescent projects, or perhaps if something were to be made of the old condo tower base next to the Duke Energy Center. 

I don't necessarily see W Hotel as a high luxury brand, but more like a trendy niche brand.

Don't know why my original reply didn't post but...

If you come over to my residence, I may give you my autograph.

oh okay. so Residence Inn and Autograph Collection. So probably a bohemian. LOL nifty.

Edited by Guest

JW would certainly be awesome but yes not the Ritz. It's just really odd that there is only one super luxury brand in uptown, and I must say the Ritz is amazing, I love staying there when I can. I am not familiar with Le Meridien, are they on the Ritz level or no?

Do not forget that we would not even have The Ritz if it wasn't for BoA making a deal with them to come here.

I would love to see another high luxury brand. I feel like Charlotte has the Ritz....then everything else. I feel like no other hotel in uptown is remotely close to the Ritz (I have stayed at the Omni and Weston, they aren't even close)

Though it's going to be off the beaten path, the Le Meridien conversion at the old Blake Hotel should give Charlotte another hotel in the same realm as Ritz-Carlton. 

It sounds like its going to be a small hotel. From memory, they only have ~350 dedicated parking spots. I was hoping for along 30 stories.

The Ritz Carlton across the street only has 146 rooms, the base for 210 trade is much smaller.  So it could be 25-30 stories at still only have 150-200 rooms.  This should be enough for a W hotel type hotel and still have plenty of parking.

350 spots is a good bit.  Let's account for staff maybe using 50 spots, and that's being generous.  300 dedicated spots for a hotel is pretty sizable for such a small foundation.  Remember that the foundation was designed for a 50 story condo tower.  Don't be surprised if they use that to their benefit.  Why wouldn't they?  The construction cost is going to be ridiculously low compared to a new empty plot; all the site work is done, the very expensive foundation has already been poured, even the column structure is in place (minus obvious refurb.)  If they don't capitalize on that to maximize their profits, I would be severely let down.

• Like 1

I'm sure they are looking at taking it to the maximum that the space and the market can bear.   

I think the spaces sound quite reasonable, especially considering urban hotels should have the lowest need for spaces of any of the uses, as many travelers are willing to take cabs and train on expense, especially when the major destinations are a few blocks away.

I can't wait to see what comes out of all of it.  

• 3 weeks later...

^ not a single word about the tower.

It does mention it. But just in passing. 

With that said, I'm told an announcement is imminent, so hopefully we hear something soon. 

I'd like to open up the thread for some speculation discussion. Mostly about something we never really considered. 

What will become of the planned "Amenity Deck" Space once the dual branded hotel happens. I'm assuming the amenity deck cannot support a tower, so I'm hoping they don't waste the space by making it just a rooftop. Whats everyones thoughts?

Give me some background and I'll give you my thoughts...because I have no idea what you are referring to, haha.

No Joke, this took me 3 whole days to find...

m_twoten2.jpg

By the way I really wish this building had come to be...

m_twoten1.jpg

This was the 210 trade amenity deck. I wonder if something similar will come to fruition with a hotel tower.

Boy did they value engineer the hell out of epicenter though… I wish we could have gotten all that glass...

Edited by Guest

To be frank, the actual Epicentre part of the complex actually looks a lot more interesting and less suburban than that model IMO.  The front three buildings in that model almost look like a SouthPark office park.  That said, the office/condo base portion of the complex is almost an afterthought compared to the rendering.  My guess is that once they found out the tower wouldn't be built, the exterior finishes of that portion were just slapped on with very little consideration of the eventual final product.  I wonder if there would be plans to match the base to the tower should it ever be completed.

I too really wish TTT were built.  I love the architecture, the scale, and the fact that it was at an angle to the rest of the skyline.  I'm sure it would have been value engineered along the way, but it was a nice tower all the same.  This model does give me high hopes for the hotel tower though.  The foundation is there, capitalize!

As for the amenity deck, I swear the work for the pool had already been started.  The concrete had definitely been poured, which means the general shape of the pool must have already been laid out.  I have no idea what they did with the space after the condo project went kurplunk.  It's possible they ruined the space after all of the leakage problems the office portions below were experiencing. And of course the oxblue webcam archives are not available for this project so the only people that can tell for sure are people with a current birds eye view of the project.

To be frank, the actual Epicentre part of the complex actually looks a lot more interesting and less suburban than that model IMO.  The front three buildings in that model almost look like a SouthPark office park.  That said, the office/condo base portion of the complex is almost an afterthought compared to the rendering.  My guess is that once they found out the tower wouldn't be built, the exterior finishes of that portion were just slapped on with very little consideration of the eventual final product.  I wonder if there would be plans to match the base to the tower should it ever be completed.

I too really wish TTT were built.  I love the architecture, the scale, and the fact that it was at an angle to the rest of the skyline.  I'm sure it would have been value engineered along the way, but it was a nice tower all the same.  This model does give me high hopes for the hotel tower though.  The foundation is there, capitalize!

As for the amenity deck, I swear the work for the pool had already been started.  The concrete had definitely been poured, which means the general shape of the pool must have already been laid out.  I have no idea what they did with the space after the condo project went kurplunk.  It's possible they ruined the space after all of the leakage problems the office portions below were experiencing. And of course the oxblue webcam archives are not available for this project so the only people that can tell for sure are people with a current birds eye view of the project.

I think the reason the base was value engineered with EIFS instead of Glass Cutain is actually because there is a movie theatre in there... However, that is no excuse. Here is the United Artists Cinema near my apartment in Brooklyn...

d15_6607_8_9adjust.jpg

That's a pretty random thought to have (about what would become of the 210 trade amenity deck)

I'll just widely unrealistically speculate a Belks as I always do :D or at least any clothing store

Though Iveys & Tryon Corner really, really lowers expectations or hopes of any significant retail in center city. Especially on this former amenity deck.

Edited by AirNostrumMAD

That's a pretty random thought to have (about what would become of the 210 trade amenity deck)

I'll just widely unrealistically speculate a Belks as I always do :D or at least any clothing store

Though Iveys & Tryon Corner really, really lowers expectations or hopes of any significant retail in center city. Especially on this former amenity deck.

Belk is confirmed for Bridges at Mint Hill (happening believe it or not), I think it'll be their last store in CLT for a longggg time.