210 Trade | EpiCentre

monsoon

^^^ Unfortunately Ghazi  the original developer was not an experienced developer and his work around town shows it..  There have been problems at the 2 story Promenade by University area and my friends owned a condo he built in Mooresville on the Lake and it had problems.   Many of these contractors never got paid on this project.  That all being said the new owners Vision Equities or something like that need to take care of this property now.  They bought it for a steal so time to invest money in it or they will start losing tenants.  

• Like 4

3 hours ago, CharlotteWkndBuzz said:

The Epicentre may not be everyone’s cup of tea, but I still think it is an important asset to Uptown.  It is definitely in need of a facelift/renovations, but outside of sporting events, it is probably one of Uptown’s biggest tourist/local attractions (also the top Uber-ed pickup/drop-off location in Charlotte for 2017).  It gets a ton of foot traffic, but the owners need to do something soon and not let it get too bad.  I also feel with the addition of AC Hotel & Residence Inn, they will be big advocates of the upkeep/renovation of the Epicentre (perceptions of the Marriot brand).

They would be crazy not to renovate with the amount of money it brings in and the location. The brand new hotel and the NBA Allstar game coming this year would indicate to me that it will probably get some renovation sooner than later. But then again what do I know?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, pgsinger said:

Vision Ventures sold this to CIM Group a while back.  CIM is a group out of LA that has an extremely mixed reputation .  They have done some very interesting projects on the development end, but as a manager of properties I have heard nothing but bad new from them.

Thanks I forgot they sold it but retained some parking rights or something.  Anyway CIM Group owns Hollywood and Highland in LA and it is not run down and seemed to be doing good when I was there 2 years.  Perhaps their opportunistic strategy will pay off but they need some unfits and renovations soon as that photo shows.  https://www.cimgroup.com/strategy/opportunistic

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Matthew.Brendan said:

Epicenter and it’s slow decay is my own personal schadenfreude. 

I don't really like the Epicenter either, but the sad reality is that it is the first impression a lot of people get from Charlotte.  I can't tell you how many times I have heard out of town visitors tell me that it is the first place they went after checking into their hotel, simply because they looked up "Bars" or "Restaurants" in Google Maps and saw a cluster of them right there, a block or two from their hotel.  I wish Charlotte could have something better than the Epicenter, but in the meantime we should hope that whoever owns it keeps it looking as nice as possible.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, CTiger said:

I don't really like the Epicenter either, but the sad reality is that it is the first impression a lot of people get from Charlotte.  I can't tell you how many times I have heard out of town visitors tell me that it is the first place they went after checking into their hotel, simply because they looked up "Bars" or "Restaurants" in Google Maps and saw a cluster of them right there, a block or two from their hotel.  I wish Charlotte could have something better than the Epicenter, but in the meantime we should hope that whoever owns it keeps it looking as nice as possible.

Gotta love the "Epic Center"

• Like 1

When it opened I was working the trolley through center city and people riding would ask about shopping in the area and that was the answer. I know the owner of Red Sky Arts and Crafts, now defunct, and she said the owners/managers gave her a sweetheart deal to open at Epi to attract clientele. Her main location at that time was with Grubb on Elizabeth.

I am uptown on occasional Saturday evenings, 6-8 ish and there seems to be plenty of activity there around that time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CharlotteWkndBuzz said:

A multi-story, open-air venue, directly connected to the light rail, and has an abundance of retail probably was much welcomed back then.  All things being considered, the Epicentre fills a large void in Uptown.  Live music/concerts are important to any downtown and epi provides multiple options - that no other place in uptown has (on a consistent basis).  It’s the epitome of eat, work, play.  Restaurants/bars/clubs, gym, dentist, insurance, health, movie theater, bowling, a plethora of stuff.  With the lights/video boards, and all the advertisements, it creates an energy and vibe that no other part of the city can replicate.  Part of being a destination city is having the touristy/gimmicky venues and such like Howl at the Moon, Whiskey River, etc.  I am an advocate not bc I frequent this place a lot, but rather appreciate what it provides.  The repairs/renos need to happen quickly, and I know there are other issues at hand that some tenants attribute to the CTC, but a lot of these issues would occur in any other city, as well. 

You literally took the words out of my mouth...

4 hours ago, CharlotteWkndBuzz said:

There are 124 pages in this thread (didn’t want to search), but I’m curious to see what people’s thoughts were back in the day when the idea of the Epicentre first came about.  A multi-story, open-air venue, directly connected to the light rail, and has an abundance of retail probably was much welcomed back then.  All things being considered, the Epicentre fills a large void in Uptown.  Live music/concerts are important to any downtown and epi provides multiple options - that no other place in uptown has (on a consistent basis).  It’s the epitome of eat, work, play.  Restaurants/bars/clubs, gym, dentist, insurance, health, movie theater, bowling, a plethora of stuff.  With the lights/video boards, and all the advertisements, it creates an energy and vibe that no other part of the city can replicate.  Part of being a destination city is having the touristy/gimmicky venues and such like Howl at the Moon, Whiskey River, etc.  I am an advocate not bc I frequent this place a lot, but rather appreciate what it provides.  The repairs/renos need to happen quickly, and I know there are other issues at hand that some tenants attribute to the CTC, but a lot of these issues would occur in any other city, as well. 

we decried its materials and design which were a million times worse than rendered, and than they are currently. It was improved at one point, made actually nicer by comparison, had it not been allowed to deteriorate, it wouldn't be all that bad.

I would enjoy the Epicentre a good deal more if two of its four bounding streets - College and 4th - weren't high-speed one-way strips. It's the opposite experience around Romare Bearden: Mint, MLK, E 3rd are nice and cozy, and Church is extremely moderated by the Brevard Court crossing.

While the comparison may seem arbitrary, they are both major Uptown draws that I find myself needing to walk/bike to frequently.

Edited by SgtCampsalot
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

we decried its materials and design which were a million times worse than rendered, and than they are currently. It was improved at one point, made actually nicer by comparison, had it not been allowed to deteriorate, it wouldn't be all that bad.

I agree. This was the larger issue. The businesses are an asset to center city; we should be excited that they can be that successful. The building itself is a liability from pretty much any perspective.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, JBS said:

I rarely go to Epicentre but I don't think it's nearly as bad as it is being portrayed.  I can think of some new construction with worse design and materials (initials of Legacy Union).  For what it is, it's fine.  Could/should be better but not at all something I wish didn't exist.  

it was improved significantly when it was purchased, had a lot more "window dressing" added. I'd take any facade on  Legacy Union over the elevations of epicentre facing South East. 

Screen Shot 2018-09-14 at 2.21.46 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-09-14 at 2.20.59 PM.png

But when you expect this, and get that, its upsetting.

0608_FEA_Tryon_210Trade.jpg.jpg.2b0458cf23a8725202b046203fd345a9.jpg

epicentercharlotte.jpg.c753b87b4ea40ac0d562dffc36b0fe6f.jpg

image.thumb.png.a5ed60811c488a992d3b77359440dfa1.png

Edited by Guest

8 hours ago, Nick2 said:

I actually really like the epicenter. I know it's not amazing quality and not all that unique but it is a major asset to uptown and I can only see it improving over time. 

The Epicenter was great in the beginning when Suite first opened in 2008, and then shortly after when there was Mez, Kazba, Enso, etc. it felt like a very upscale atmosphere.  That lasted through 2012-2013.  Now it is ghetto trash that goes. Even Alive After 5 isn’t the same anymore.  Not sure it will improve with time. We’ll see I guess.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Heard a rumor this weekend (not sure how credible the source is), but they referenced Epicentre may be getting a retail store (soft goods)...specifically stating Enso's old location.  It's been quite awhile since Enso closed and it's a prime location on the 1st level.  Hope to see some movement on it soon.  

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

I can't remember which store the guy mentioned was going into Enso but it was clothing retailer. But it makes sense though that the owners of epi want to do this. There was an article a a year or two ago "is bottle service dying" basically saying clubs aren't as popular as they used to be. Imo, I think there's just a lot more to do now a days. Breweries, restaurants, concerts/festivals, etc. I'm not saying eliminate all the clubs but I think the epicentre is designed to be utilized throughout the day, but when half the epicentre are clubs, means half the places in the epicentre are closed during the day. Hopefully this also means the renovations and repairs are on the way too. 

• Like 3