210 Trade | EpiCentre

monsoon

1 hour ago, ES Charlotte said:

Can't confirm it's a reliable source, but...

Suite is closing, Kandy is closing, Vault is on it's way out, Dale is fed up with BMG at Whiskey, and I believe I might be missing one more closing.

Bubble will be a Foot Locker, Lebrettos will be another pizza joint, and the new owners are pushing family friendly restaurants and soft goods hard. 

Foot locker?!? You’ve got to be kidding me!!

Echoing many folks' sentiments, the epi has great potential as it ages, it just needs more 24 hour options (soft goods would be cool), and it couldn't hurt to have more residential around it (though that's likely impossible given the office/sports/transit/hotel monopoly [polyopoly?] around it).

Just like any other city development, it's all in how it can accommodate change. Tenants come and go, but the built environment's bones stay the same.

Edited by SgtCampsalot
  • Like 2

Suite has a had a long run! But if they are closing, the next tnenat will have the best balcony space in the whole epicentre. Howl has always been busy everytime I've walked passed it (weekend) and I enjoy cover music so I hope it doesn't go. Surprised SMG has lasted this long, but as the only movie theater uptown it probably does okay. 

I have always thought that if that high end condo tower would have been built where the new hotel is currently, it would have changed the narrative for epicentre retail. I think it would have been more of the kind of retail that they are looking to turn it into now. 

• Like 1

One thing I would add to this conversation is that with all the hotels around the Epicenter really 5 the Ritz, the Omni, the aloft,  and the dual brand AC and Residence Inn by Marriott  that is a lot of guests any given day.  The number one thing people like to do out of town is eat out and shop.  Uptown Charlotte has been very weak on the soft goods side so as many soft good retailers they could attract here would benefit all of uptown and the tourist market. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, saamh said:

I think they need to limit the clubs to the upper level and have retail on the bottom floors... epicenter really only needs two or three bars/clubs... there are so many other nightclubs in uptown and music factory...

There aren’t any other night clubs uptown other than what’s in epi. MAYBE Queen City social lol 

16 minutes ago, Jayvee said:

There aren’t any other night clubs uptown other than what’s in epi. MAYBE Queen City social lol 

There’s Ink n Ivy, that’s sort of like a nightclub, I even think they do bottle service too... also that club on top of the meridian. Also, I think Suite will probably convert into another themed nightclub, I live in Miami now and I see this all the time with clubs down here... after a couple of years the owners will rebrand the club to keep it fresh, probably the same thing is going on in Charlotte 

Edited by saamh
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Jayvee said:

Not including any places with bottle service, You've still got Dandelion Market, Roxbury and Prohibition close by if people are looking to go out and dance.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, SgtCampsalot said:

R.I.P. La Torres on W 5th and The Breakfast Club at Caldwell/E 7th

RIP The Body Shop at City Fair LOLLLL. I remember that ads for it on 95.1 the EDGE when I was in 7th grade. Pretty sure it was a male strip club, not really sure. 

A decade ago, if you wanted to listen to music with a DJ, it had to be your traditional night club like Forum, Alley Cats, Crush, Suite, etc.  But now, basically any nice restaurant creates a lounge-y, nightclub experience, some even provide bottle service: Ink n Ivy, Sip, Merchant n Trade...then there's Vapiano, 5 Church, I think even 204 North, City Lights, Coin Bar all have Djs after-hours/weekends.  The trend has changed slightly over the years and it shows that people like more of the social aspect of it.  I still think clubs are good and have their own purpose, but it explains why they are less popular now a days...just so many different options.

CityFlop I mean Cityfair was the biggest boondoggle in Charlotte recent history.  But today is a different day and hopefully Epicenter could add some retailers in these upcoming vacancies.    Foot Locker is a start for sure.  Is there even a single shoe store uptown now? 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

CityFlop I mean Cityfair was the biggest boondoggle in Charlotte recent history.  But today is a different day and hopefully Epicenter could add some retailers in these upcoming vacancies.    Foot Locker is a start for sure.  Is there even a single shoe store uptown now? 

There used to be that "highend/speciality" shoe store at the Epicentre where the old Vape store was...right below WOB.  The first store as you get off the light rail on the left (before you turn the corner to CVS).  I forget the name but I think a Footlocker will be a better fit because it offers a wide range of shoes (casual, running, sports, etc)...not just specialty sneakers.  Uptown has a lot of marathons, various walks, and active residents...I think it will do well.

Edited by CharlotteWkndBuzz
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, CharlotteWkndBuzz said:

There used to be that "highend/speciality" shoe store at the Epicentre where the old Vape store was...right below WOB.  The first store as you get off the light rail on the left (before you turn the corner to CVS).  I forget the name but I think a Footlocker will be a better fit because it offers a wide range of shoes (casual, running, sports, etc)...not just specialty sneakers.  Uptown has a lot of marathons, various walks, and active residents...I think it will do well.

I’m sorry but I will have to disagree 110%. Putting a foot locker at the epicenter is going to be the nail in it’s coffin.  That complex needs places like Apple, H&M,  maybe one of the locally owned men’s clothing stores that sell suits etc, maybe a gift shop, etc.  something that caters to everyone. Foot locker doesn’t cater to everyone, and it gives off a very “hood” vibe. 

• Like 1

I'm still trying to figure out how Apple stores cater to "everyone". They sell laptops that start at $1,000 and phones in the hundreds of dollars. Their stores are strategically located in shopping malls and districts with high household incomes. There is a reason iPhone customers have a median income of $85,000 versus the general population median income of around ~$55,000. Android customers have a median income of ~$61,000. Apple often even boasts on their annual reports how their target customers are the upper middle class and affluent (who have high disposable income to buy new phones over and over and over every time a new version comes out).

Most stores have a target demographic to occupy a niche in the retail world. Few are going to appeal to "everyone." 

Edited by CLT2014

8 minutes ago, CLT2014 said:

I'm still trying to figure out how Apple stores cater to "everyone". They sell laptops that start at $1,000 and phones in the hundreds of dollars. Their stores are strategically located in shopping malls and districts with high household incomes. There is a reason iPhone customers have a median income of $85,000 versus the general population median income of around ~$55,000. Android customers have a median income of ~$61,000. Apple often even boasts on their annual reports how their target customers are the upper middle class and affluent (who have high disposable income to buy new phones over and over and over every time a new version comes out).

Most stores have a target demographic to occupy a niche in the retail world. Few are going to appeal to "everyone." 

My statement wasn’t necessarily income driven. It was moreso for the taste and clientele.  Foot locker draws a very trashy crowd. It’s like putting a KFC or McDonald’s in the epicenter.  

2 minutes ago, Temeteron said:

My statement wasn’t necessarily income driven. It was moreso for the taste and clientele.  Foot locker draws a very trashy crowd. It’s like putting a KFC or McDonald’s in the epicenter.  

Then I would just call it like it is. Your preference would be retailers that draw a upper middle class and affluent clientele... which does not equal everyone. 

Uptown has a high household income so it could be a candidate for an Apple store. I just wouldn't say it is a store for "everyone."

Edited by CLT2014

8 minutes ago, CLT2014 said:

Then I would just call it like it is. Your preference would be retailers that draw a upper middle class and affluent clientele... which does not equal everyone. 

Uptown has a high household income so it could be a candidate for an Apple store. I just wouldn't say it is a store for "everyone."

If I were one the owners of the epicenter I would be strategic as to what kind of tenant mix exists.  There are malls that have made the mistake of not having a wide range of tenants and then in the end it loses appeal.  I still don’t think soft goods would be a good idea.  If malls are struggling how will retail in the epicenter survive? Especially now that south end is becoming a destination shopping district?

Before this thread gets derailed...if anything a foot locker (or any shoe retailer) would be a win for Uptown.  A shoe store does cater to everyone too btw.  Kids, teens, adults, guys, gals.  But I know that wasn't your point.  Your comments are very contradicting too.  Your first post says you want stores like H&M and  Men's Clothing at the Epi, but now you say you don't think soft goods would be good.  You also state that a shoe store (foot locker) would be detrimental, yet you say that not having a wide range of tenants would be bad.  

Downtown shopping is completely different in my opinion and if executed correctly can work.