210 Trade | EpiCentre

monsoon

This is also tapping into the complaint through founder of Strong Towns, Charles Marohn, a Civil Engineer, had as he became disillusioned in his profession: that municipalities, in hopes to generate more growth, were extending utility services ever outward into formerly unincorporated areas. This tactic is a gamble, first of all,but then it does not take into account the fact that these new areas will have a bill due in the next generation of maintenance costs for these utilities and transportation infrastructure. Then the municipality, who is not seeing any long-term stability from those previous short-term tax gains, take free money to do minimum-required maintenance, and then expand even more outward in order to generate more tax revenue. But the the cycle continues forever as the town/city gradually becomes more strained financially.

<breath> And that is the Ponzi Scheme of liabilities that modern growth policy creates .

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, tarhoosier said:

Development follows civil engineering. Water and sewer are necessary for development regardless of transportation patterns. A common complaint of civil engineers is new  development grows to abut their treatment facilities and cries grow to move the facility away from housing, so lines extend out to unserved area and then homes and businesses race to tap new extension and new resdents cry "Move that waste facility away from housing" and the cycle begins again.

Human settlement is predicated on the ability to access a place.  There's no need for water and sewer if you can't get there.   But, you also correct -- no one wants to live next to sewer treatment facilities.  Sorry to digress.

Edited by MACyr

7 hours ago, SgtCampsalot said:

Getting back on topic: Does anyone have any photos of what was on this block immediately before the Epicentre was built? I never paid much attention to this area before that.

You didn’t watch the implosion? I was in either middle school or high school glued to my computer watching excited for epicenter lol. (Graduated high school in 2010) 

• Like 1

On 4/24/2019 at 9:42 AM, tarhoosier said:

My memory of the implosion was that it was less than I expected. A dusty slump more than anything. It was mostly space with lightweight roof materials so not the same as a taller office building or other structure with height.

The Hotel Charlotte demolition was way more impressive, and they definitely didn't give enough 'clear zone' for the building to collapse for that one...

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Forget LU or Stonewall corridor for shopping...that is going to be heavy on service industry bar/restaurants imo. I know there are mixed opinions on the epicentre, but if you couple the already perfect design (outdoor mall) and possible redesign of CTC...this could be our shopping district uptown. Epicentre owners have been on record on wanting to shift the tenants to more retail (non food n bev).  I have heard from a person enso was going to be a clothing retailer of some sort. Bubble is vacant. Golds gym is massive and could host a nice retailer. I'd imagine suite, whiskey, vault, kandy, days are limited. Southend will be nice shopping one day, but the epicentres open air concept is perfect for a nice shopping block too. 

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
21 minutes ago, mad_park said:

Another shooting @ the Epicentre - this time police were involved.

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/local/article237393094.html#storylink=mainstage_lead

Here is another story from WSOC can you imagine staying at one of the hotels there and looking down and seeing all of that?  

https://www.wsoctv.com/news/local/shooting-investigation-underway-after-shots-ring-out-at-epicentre/1008855040

• Sad 3

51 minutes ago, Madison Parkitect said:

Epicentre will be torn down within 10 years. Places like this turn into ghost towns once shootings start to happen.

If epicenter is torn down in 10-years, uptown will again be nothing but bank lobby’s and shut down at 5pm.  

epicenter supports retail in all of uptown. It’s a destination. Without it, uptown is not a destination - it’s an office park. Epicenter is popular. And it draws people uptown which leads to support for other businesses. 

• Thanks 2

as leases come up I would be marketing to non bar and entertainment retailers or just food outlets or put in a soft goods like TJ Maxx or Ross and it would be packed and it closes at 9 pm or so.  Those retailers do the volume that could afford the rent.  

When the 210 Trade condo tower was proposed I asked many people are you sure you want to live by all those nightclubs.  One thing for a hotel here one night or two then gone but another thing if all those people were living there.   I could see some of the retail buildings being torn down for another hotel as it is in the heart of uptown.  Highest and best would be another hotel and keep some of the retail there.   We still don't have an Hotel Indigo 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

as leases come up I would be marketing to non bar and entertainment retailers or just food outlets or put in a soft goods like TJ Maxx or Ross and it would be packed and it closes at 9 pm or so.  Those retailers do the volume that could afford the rent.  

When the 210 Trade condo tower was proposed I asked many people are you sure you want to live by all those nightclubs.  One thing for a hotel here one night or two then gone but another thing if all those people were living there.   I could see some of the retail buildings being torn down for another hotel as it is in the heart of uptown.  Highest and best would be another hotel and keep some of the retail there.   We still don't have an Hotel Indigo 

None of the retail is the right format for TJ Maxx or Ross. You have to look at the spaces, and be like "ok, now what could feasibly fit in this space." Imagine yourself walking into a TJ Maxx, and seeing the space they require, then imagine trying to plug that in anywhere in Epicentre. Maybe the bowling alley is big enough, but I don't think so. Studio Movie Grill, probably the best space. Just keep in mind you aren't going to get a 35k user to plug themself into a 7k sq foot space.

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, Jayvee said:

That's an INCREDIBLY dated sentiment. And just wrong.

I don't know.

Even a few weekends ago, some of my friends from UNCC had a Swedish girl come visit (she's an intern somewhere in Raleigh) and they took her to the Epicenter and just raved how it was like "Paris" (They never been to France FYI) and they just thought the epicenter was the crown jewel. And the Epicenter is pretty much, the place of Uptown. Then after people have been there done that, then they branch out to a couple other places and act like epicenter is for newbs or whatever.

But seriously. Take out epicenter. You have a block near 7th street market. And a couple places ringing Romare. Walk down Tryon Street at 9PM. How many places are open. Rock Bottom? Capitol Grille? Ruth Chris? Chimas? Duckworths?  Did I miss anything? Walk down College Street. Pretty nice, more things and it seems more cosmopolitan and the Epicenter is cool.  Romare park, pretty cool. Ink & Ivy, some places at Latta Arcade, 7-11, Mellow Mushroom and a couple other chain places.

I'm a big fan of epicenter, what it contributes and would hate for it to be destroyed, removed or taken away. It's really a crown jewel for uptown. There's needs to be more than 1 block at 7th street and a few places around Romare. :) I'm not too cool for epicenter (despite my preferences for Lucky's and a few other places around uptown). And I love the movies there. Uptown would be a lot more boring without Epicenter.

Edited by AirNostrumMAD
  • Like 3