210 Trade | EpiCentre

monsoon

The longer this thing takes to build the more concerned I am that it won't. They have not budged in weeks on 210 and have still not received an approval on their permits. Am I the only one thinking that this won't happen??? I can see Aloft being built, as well as the Epicenter (which is already almost complete). Both will be a vibrant source of energy for the block, but I am really wondering about Ghazi's ability to pull off 210, especially in the face of current market conditions. Anyone else think we might have another "Park" on our hands, or does everyone still believe this project will start before the end of 2007?

A2

I think it will happen, but I stand my comments from last year that it will be of some diminished quality...just my opinion of course. As long as they are still actively pursuing permits then I still say there are intentions of going forward. As far as Ghazi....his portion of 210 is for the most part complete....it's up to F&C to go up from here.

The longer this thing takes to build the more concerned I am that it won't. They have not budged in weeks on 210 and have still not received an approval on their permits. Am I the only one thinking that this won't happen??? I can see Aloft being built, as well as the Epicenter (which is already almost complete). Both will be a vibrant source of energy for the block, but I am really wondering about Ghazi's ability to pull off 210, especially in the face of current market conditions. Anyone else think we might have another "Park" on our hands, or does everyone still believe this project will start before the end of 2007?

A2

I have direct information that says this project starts back up this month, with minimal sacrifice of quality.

Edited by Guest

Theoretically none are accessed directly from a street sidewalk, however, all of them are accessible from exterior corridors that are always open. This isn't an inclosed mall, but with multiple levels, a steep grade of street, and significant land use complexities, you will either need to get to one of the exterior corridors (those balcony-looking things in the photo) or the pedestrian alleyway that goes between the different Epicentre buildings. By being exterior like that, pedestrians in the corridors will still interact with the street, will be eyes on the street, will be exposed to weather, will be accessible 24-7, etc. I think that makes it substantially closer to the goals of street retail than what we have experienced in uptown and in malls for the last generation.

I really am relieved about the materials. I was almost certain this would be the standard Ghazi-EFIS. But those block-bricks look good and will be durable. I kind of like the wood that is above the awning right now, but I'll bet it is just a a construction process.

• 2 weeks later...

It looks like the tower has officially started going vertical this morning. The first bit of rebar for the concrete pillars was just hoisted into place.

I saw that this morning too... awesome news! BTW - the crane that's there at 210 trade, will that stay there, or will they move it behind the building? Obviously it will get raised once they build up, but it almost looks like it's in the way.

What does that mean? Are you thinking the buildings will be connected above the levels already built? If so, I didn't know that was ever a consideration, but maybe I missed it.

No, No. They are seperate ... unless I missed something :thumbsup: . I'm saying, I wonder if they are both going to go up at the same time, or if 210 will be the first to go, once that is somewhat up, then they begin aLoft, or something along those lines.

The condo tower will be built seperately from the hotel. They have similar opening dates, so it gives the hotel a little time to plan. I say the hotel starts around September 24th.

And wasn't I right when I said, "this project will start before the end of this month"

The condo tower will be built seperately from the hotel. They have similar opening dates, so it gives the hotel a little time to plan. I say the hotel starts around September 24th.

And wasn't I right when I said, "this project will start before the end of this month"

What are the targetted opening dates lately, including for Epicentre. These things used to shift so often, I stopped paying attention, but now the Epicentre is wrapping up, and the towers are actually moving upward, it might be good to have a refresher on that.

Just got back from Therapy (the bar, haha). I'm excited to see that there are 4 pillars up at 210.

Now to the topic at hand. The first building is shooting for late october. And the middle building WAS at least shooting for the opening of the LRT, but due to its recent condition I doubt it. 210 trade tops out in late 08 believe it or not. It wraps up late spring 09. Aloft opens winter 09. There will be no value engineering on this project I had this confirmed recently, and the bowling and movies are still a go as of now.

Edited by Guest

Just got back from Therapy (the bar, haha). I'm excited to see that there are 4 pillars up at 210.

Now to the topic at hand. The first building is shooting for late october. And the middle building WAS at least shooting for the opening of the LRT, but due to its recent condition I doubt it. 210 trade tops out in late 08 believe it or not. It wraps up late spring 09. Aloft opens winter 09. There will be no value engineering on this project I had this confirmed recently, and the bowling and movies are still a go as of now.

Any idea on the owner/operator of the bowling venue and the theater? Are we still looking at Lucky Strike Lanes? (hope so, but we have yet to appear on their website as an upcoming location)

Thanks for the info Nib, I'm looking forward to seeing this go up. The cool exposed "beams" at the top will add some nice variety to the collection of crowns we have along the skyline. This tower will also give some more depth to the skyline as it is the only tower against the tracks. Dense depth, but still depth.

Just thought I would add that I heard the contractor for Aloft bailed so they are looking for a new one. Not sure what this does to the scheduling or if it has already been pointed out, but I have been away from the boards for awhile, so I figured I would share what I know. Sorry if this has been posted already.