210 Trade | EpiCentre

monsoon

I imagine that it must be a nightmare coordination to have that retail space opening up with a large tower construction project opening above it. It must be difficult to have retail deliveries coming on site as the same time concrete is showing up.

Anyone have experience with anything like this?

Well I am also curious how this is all going to take place. There was already a lawsuit between CATs and the construction on the South Line with 210 Trade because of the cranes going over the tracks that were under construction, making it an unsafe working condition for those contracted on the South Line LRT. I don't know how this turned out if it did at all. It doesn't seem like 210 Trade has changed anything in respond to this, at least to the naked eye. Now with retail opening up- they are not putting civilians as part of the equation on a construction zone. I image there is a heightened safety issue as well as security (if something broke the glass of one of the tennants, for example). I know 210 Trade is trying to meet time lines, because the earlier, the more money for them, but it will be interesting how everything plays off and if they step back and take a more cautious approach considering the safety and security of innocent civilians. Again, I know very little on legalities of construction and civilians, so I'm just making these comments coming from someone that is in Engineering and know that it is the law for being a professional Engineer that safety of civilians is first and foremost, else there can be huge fines, etc.

I'm not sure what happened with CATS, but the cranes for this and other projects go over the public right of way. The Wachovia cranes definitely go over Stonewall and Tryon, but I don't think it is really unsafe to walk on those streets.

Another way to look at it is that this project is really multiple projects across an entire block. They kept IJL/ 301 N Tryon (or whatever it is called now) open while Avenue was under construction. I think it is a similar type of situation. These blocks are massive. Just because construction will be under way in 2 sections of the block doesn't mean you can't open other sections. Anywhere there is a risk of falling objects, they will either need to keep closed or else enclose the sidewalk with those roofed scaffolding things. But as long as the payload of the cranes doesn't go overhead, it should be safe -- it isn't like the stuff is swaying in a way that if it fell it would go anywhere other than straight down.

I was downtown today, and saw the opposite. CATS was welding on the station next to 210 Trade and the peeps walking through there had to dodge the hot molten embers falling off the structure as it was being welded. Almost got burnt myself. Since there were no provisions to stop pedestrians from walking under the thing while it is being built it seems to me that is also a lawsuit waiting to happen.

I was looking at the oxblue camera at aloft. I'm not sure what they are lifting onto the steel structure of the hotel portion. Is this the finished floor or is it forms and then they will pour concrete? They appear to be finished slabs being set into place. If that's the case, the hotel could go up very quickly.

Epicentre will be a big help to bring more people Uptown and increase pedestrian activity which is a good thing. I just wish the complex was not so focused on becoming the epicenter of party bars. But that's what the majority wants I suppose. Uptown already has dozens of bars. Can't they throw in one little bookstore or cafe somewhere?

Edited by voyager12

Epicentre will be a big help to bring more people Uptown and increase pedestrian activity which is a good thing. I just wish the complex was not so focused on becoming the epicenter of party bars. But that's what the majority wants I suppose. Uptown already has dozens of bars. Can't they throw in one little bookstore or cafe somewhere?

I agree 100% about the party bars. I could care less about those, but I am very excited about the movie theater and bowling alley...those are much needed new entertainment options uptown.

I agree about the theater and bowling alley. Very urban. And I know some of the coming bars are going to be more lowkey and not all geared toward the wild crowd but more of a mix of options would be nice. Kokomo's is great over near the Courthouse. We need more places like that closer in and the Epicentre would be a good spot.

I think at this point that the reality is setting in that the central part of uptown will never be a "bookstore" kind of environment. It's already established as a fast-paced business center, and continues to stockpile nightclubs and party-bars with each passing month. 20 years from now we are not going to see uptown as a place that people go for low-key, literate entertainment. It's going to become a fairly flashy district, where even the sophisticated events are more along the lines of red-carpet theater and museum parties. Our best bet for a sedate social scene is at the edges of uptown, perhaps in the Gateway area or at the fringes of Dilworth.

I think at this point that the reality is setting in that the central part of uptown will never be a "bookstore" kind of environment. It's already established as a fast-paced business center, and continues to stockpile nightclubs and party-bars with each passing month. 20 years from now we are not going to see uptown as a place that people go for low-key, literate entertainment. It's going to become a fairly flashy district, where even the sophisticated events are more along the lines of red-carpet theater and museum parties. Our best bet for a sedate social scene is at the edges of uptown, perhaps in the Gateway area or at the fringes of Dilworth.

I discovered a couple of weeks ago a bookstore in the atrium in the bottom of BofA. Asked the guy when he opened and he said over 10 years ago! It isn't a big place, but it is there.

Also -- rumor has it that the bottom of 300 S. Tryon will have a 1 or 2 story bookstore. Not sure if they still are going to, but it was part of the initial plans.

I went to that book store for the first time a few months ago. It had the book I was picking up. I do wish they'd move to a more visible and outdoor accessible spot, although I'm sure they are comfortable with the status quo. That will be less important if a major book seller opens elsewhere downtown.

I personally see great success if a large bookstore opened Uptown. Inside the loop are plenty of literate people who would be a built in market. Throw in the business travelers, tourists, and vistors to the upcoming museums and you have quite an impressive potential for clientel.

Put a nice coffee shoppe inside, and you'll have even more people coming in. Barnes and Noble in Seattle's University district even periodically brings in a small brass combo to entertain on Saturdays.

Build it and watch 'em come. I think some people don't give Charlotte residents enough credit.:)

I think I mentioned this a few weeks ago, but there still doesn't seem to be any activity on site at the 210 condo portion. I saw few people there maybe last week, but as far as progress goes it looks dead. Anyone have info on what may be going on? I'm really anxious to see this tower rise.

Atlrvr answered this question a couple pages back. They rereleased their condos for sale and are currently under required presales for their construction loan, they were at 90% sold out now they are around 45% of the needed 50%.

Atlrvr answered this question a couple pages back. They rereleased their condos for sale and are currently under required presales for their construction loan, they were at 90% sold out now they are around 45% of the needed 50%.

Yea, I went back and saw that after my post :huh:

I got an email today from the sales team inviting me to take advantage of one of the limited number of condos now back on the market due to a revised completion date

Well, I guess that's good news... Hopefully they'll hit that 50% soon so they can start back up. Did they give a revised completion date?

I drove down Trade today, and the Trade side of 210 Trade seems to have made some progress. I will try to get pics when it's not raining but they have started putting windows in the bottom portion and started doing some work on the retail at the bottom of the tower. Also about 2 weeks ago they brought and build an elevator system that is going to be used for when the tower grows.

I drove down Trade today, and the Trade side of 210 Trade seems to have made some progress. I will try to get pics when it's not raining but they have started putting windows in the bottom portion and started doing some work on the retail at the bottom of the tower. Also about 2 weeks ago they brought and build an elevator system that is going to be used for when the tower grows.

at this rate, the Wachovia tower will top off before 210 gets halfway up -_- Hopefully, when this thing gets going, it will shoot up like a weed

Looks like the center crane (for the retail portion) is being dismantled. Now decking can get installed and poured. Also looks like Aloft completed their first pour today. This block is humming along nicely.

I noticed the progress of aLoft also. It seems like it's going really slow, however. Hopefully now that the first "steel" floor is completed, the remaining will go up faster than it took (looks like 1 1/2-2 weeks on the cam) for the first floor. Good to see the crane down, too. Now they can complete that level of the epicentre that was being built around the crane, and hopefully they will complete the extension to the bridge, also.