210 Trade | EpiCentre

monsoon

Neo, you are the iPhone Photographer Master.

The last one helps show what actually is going on site at the moment. I just looked at the webcam and the progress has halted so greatly (because of the condo tower, mainly). The last picture shows they are working on the siding, putting in windows, finalizing everything on the ground floor to get businesses open before they start building up, or so it appears...

I just received a 210 Trade sales email that named the retail tenants....most we've heard, but it did add a couple of new names.

Restaurants

Howl at the Moon - Piano Bar

Black Finn - Irish Pub

Whiskey River - Dale Jr.'s thing

Fleming's - Steakhouse

The Fudgery - ummm...Fudge shop I'm guessing

Cold Stone Creamery - Ice Cream

Cantina - Tex Mex (I'm assuming this is different from Cantina at 1512 East Blvd.)

Jason's Deli - Jason's Deli ;)

Bruegger's Bagels - Unsweetened round bread with a hole store

Bella Vita - Italian (and hopefully more successful that Crescent's ugly condo building on Park Rd. that got cancelled)

PJ's Coffee

Smoothie King

Fox Sports Grill - Restaurant and Broadcasting Studios (<- their word's not mine....is the studios a gimmick, or will they really broadcast from there?)

Retail

CVS

Nail Salon

Bowling (unnamed)

Movie Theatre - 6-plex, but operator not named

Tanning Salon

Ageless Remedies - Spa

First Charlotte Physicians

Dry Cleaners

Sundaries Shop

Hair Salon

Anthology - Apparel and Home Goods (Hopefully they meant Anthropolgie, which is also located at SP Mall and is a pretty good store)

Apothercary - Women's Clothing (anyone heard of this place?)

BofA - Full service branch

Allen Tate Realtors

I'm glad to see some lower scale shops on the list (Brueggers, CVS, Coldstone Creamery, etc.) so this place doesn't go ultra-lux. First Charlotte Physicians is over in Bank Of America 1. Are they moving locations or is this just another office for them?

The are moving and their current offices are part of the founders hall/winter garden renovation in preparation for the ritz carlton/ bofa super block project.

i think the point is that we already have plenty of salons, spas, tanning places and dry cleaners downtown. This was a good opportunity for destination retail, whether chain or local, and it seems to be a lost cause. The bowling and movie theatres however do add a whole new dynamic downtown. These give the non bar crowd a place to go hang out finally.

I was also hoping for a more substantial list of tenants and not just primarily strip mall stores. There is nothing objectively wrong with these places as part of a mix. But having a majority of stop n go stores will not engender the street life a bookstore or sidewalk cafe could add to this complex.

I read somewhere that the theater in Epicentre will be a Muvico. This is a higher end joint that also serves meals with the movies. Each operation has a certain theme and the setup usually includes restaurants, bars, and VIP areas. I just googled Muvico and Charlotte is listed as opening in 08. So there you have it.

Edited by voyager12

I read somewhere that the theater in Epicentre will be a Muvico. This is a higher end joint that also serves meals with the movies. Each operation has a certain theme and the setup usually includes restaurants, bars, and VIP areas. I just googled Muvico and Charlotte is listed as opening in 08. So there you have it.

Sounds similar to the one expected for Elizabeth. I wish at least one of the movie theaters was conventional for those of us that don't want dinner and can't afford the extra price tag to watch a movie.

I can confirm Voyager's research. It's all over Googledom. 5 or 6 screen theater, opening specifically at Epicentre in 2008, will serve food and they've got job ads out for the restaurant GM, etc. From looking at some of Muvico's film offerrings, it seems like an interesting mix between box-office biggies, and art-house films. It's not an Angelika (which I was kinda hoping for), but I think it'll have broad appeal and will be good for downtown. I personally think it'll be packed!. It would be their smallest venue...most are 16 - 24 plexes, but this company is definitely luxe and appears to like dramatic architecture and a "destination" feel. I think this is a coup for Epicentre, but I doubt affordability will be it's long suit. Thoughts? Anyone with firsthand experience with Muvico?

I can confirm Voyager's research. It's all over Googledom. 5 or 6 screen theater, opening specifically at Epicentre in 2008, will serve food and they've got job ads out for the restaurant GM, etc. From looking at some of Muvico's film offerrings, it seems like an interesting mix between box-office biggies, and art-house films. It's not an Angelika (which I was kinda hoping for), but I think it'll have broad appeal and will be good for downtown. I personally think it'll be packed!. It would be their smallest venue...most are 16 - 24 plexes, but this company is definitely luxe and appears to like dramatic architecture and a "destination" feel. I think this is a coup for Epicentre, but I doubt affordability will be it's long suit. Thoughts? Anyone with firsthand experience with Muvico?

I definitly welcome the project, I'd just hope to see a regular movie-theatre introduced to give a wider-variety of audience the pleasure of being uptown but also having something family-affordable at the same time. I'm sure this venue isn't excessive, but it certainly doesn't price for just watching a film. The other venues coming to the Epicentre I am overall pleased. There is a good mix of breakfast-lunch-dinner-late night, as well as a mix of cheap, middle, and high end options. The tanning seems a little odd, although I'm sure there is a market (I'm just not part of it) and I agree that it would be nice to see something like a Virgin Mega Store, although I don't think epicentre is the place for that. Maybe the redevelopment of the Brevard St. Cooridor, pending on the route they take.

I am pretty surprised that there isn't an anchor store in this lot; you know, somewhere you can go and not even expect to buy...just browse. Boutique stores will never offer more than 10 minutes of browsing.

That's an interesting point, but this place has always been billed and intended as an entertainment destination, rather than a true merchandise shopping destination. I know it is more of the same that we've already had, but it is a lot more of the same with some things new. That is really what has to happen at this point in the market. We are getting our merchandise retail in the spots where rent can be a cheaper but still serve the market, mostly Midtown. But I think once the tower projects start filling up with people, we may be ready for the next level of merchandise retail.

As for Muvico, I am happy with it, period. I think I would otherwise not consider going to the movies, but in a walking experience, with a unique destination appeal to the actual theater, I am convinced that I will be going much more often. Rather, I will now go to movies, period.

Sounds similar to the one expected for Elizabeth. I wish at least one of the movie theaters was conventional for those of us that don't want dinner and can't afford the extra price tag to watch a movie.

Looking at the website for this theatre their ticket prices are in line with what AMC, Regal, etc charge. You are not forced to buy dinner or drinks...but the option is there if you want it. This seems to be very similar to the Ballentyne Village theatre.

I noticed today that jumbo-trons are being installed on the top of the Trade Street building. One is curved and sits at the intersection of Trade and College, the other faces the light rail station and the Arena. Looks to be pretty cool.

Ahhhh, so that's what those are. The rounded screen is at eye level to me from my office...too funny!

Trade is going to be pretty colorful with the LRT station all lit up and the jumbotrons from epicentre and the arena. I agree that the angled screen on a curved surface is pretty funny but it keeps the screen from shining into the windows of TTT residents.. I wonder when these screens were added into the plan, I don't recall ever seeing them before.

This type of signage has always been a part of the project. It's one of the things I'm looking most forward to. I think it will really change the "feel" of this part of town.

They were part of the project- and there is more to come. I'm looking forward to the big, 2/3 story neon bowling pin, personally (assuming it gets put up)