210 Trade | EpiCentre

monsoon

I like the variety of restaurants in Hearst at the street level: Blue Restaurant and Bar, Pita Pita, and Fuel Pizza (and that Oriental joint). Nice mix, guaranteed to bring a variety of people around.

Soho Bistro...definitely worth checking out. I like the fact that most of the places on College between 5th and 6th utilize an open air feel to some extent. Makes for nice dining experience.

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/14547286.htm

It's not really the best confirmation, but the Observer recently included in the list of what the project will include. 5/10/06 by Doug Smith:

EpiCentre, under construction on the old convention center site at College and Trade streets, is to include a theater, a bowling center, 20-plus dining and nightlife venues, a 53-story condo tower and a hotel.

By the way, I'm really excited that Bar Management Group is involved. That group really created most of the uptown nightlife in the last decade. Plus, if EpiCentre really gets a lot of pubs, bars, clubs, lounges, etc., the center of uptown nightlife will grow slightly, but the additions will be very close to existing activity. Right now, the blocks that have much of the nightlife activity are the Hearst block (with Phils, Connelly's, Madison's, Blue, Attic, Brick and Barrell, Rira, Fuel - and eventually Carolina Theatre) and 7th St Station block (Cosmos, Bar Charlotte, Forum, Brixx, LaVecchia, and a few others that come and go along there). There are a few other places, like Buckhead that are around there. But with much of the nightlife being one or two blocks from the Arena, it will be a natural progression for that to expand to Trade and College at the Epicentre.

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/14547286.htm

It's not really the best confirmation, but the Observer recently included in the list of what the project will include. 5/10/06 by Doug Smith:

By the way, I'm really excited that Bar Management Group is involved. That group really created most of the uptown nightlife in the last decade. Plus, if EpiCentre really gets a lot of pubs, bars, clubs, lounges, etc., the center of uptown nightlife will grow slightly, but the additions will be very close to existing activity. Right now, the blocks that have much of the nightlife activity are the Hearst block (with Phils, Connelly's, Madison's, Blue, Attic, Brick and Barrell, Rira, Fuel - and eventually Carolina Theatre) and 7th St Station block (Cosmos, Bar Charlotte, Forum, Brixx, LaVecchia, and a few others that come and go along there). There are a few other places, like Buckhead that are around there. But with much of the nightlife being one or two blocks from the Arena, it will be a natural progression for that to expand to Trade and College at the Epicentre.

I would still say the weight of the evidence points to there not being a theater, but it is encouraging to see DS say there will be.

That group really created most of the uptown nightlife in the last decade. Plus, if EpiCentre really gets a lot of pubs, bars, clubs, lounges, etc.,

Seems to me they need to focus on bringing some other things to downtown than more speakeasies. They don't do much in the matter of building a real community and often take away from it. It would be nice if we saw a few places that catered to things needed for everyday living.

I would be surprised if they could find someone to invest in a movie theatre. The theatres are not doing so well these days.

Man, someone needs to paint a really brightly colored, funky mural on that wall of the Omni right across College from the Epicenter. Not only would it look awesome, it couldn't cost that much, and would be suitable to add to the vibe of the "entertainment" district. I'd volunteer to do it myself if someone pays for the paint. :shades: At a minimum they could just paint each "block" a different color, like a tv without a program broadcasting.

I wish this city has more liberal sign ordinances.....that wall would be a great place for electronic ads....besides the city wants that block to be our "Times Square" anyways.......

They are bringing other things to downtown. I'm highlighting only one part of this project. This project has always been intended as a food and entertainment complex to draw on the arena and office tower crowds. They have added a huge residential tower and a hotel, which makes it even better.

People who live uptown and work uptown have lunches and evenings out of the office. Entertainment and food would be primary money makers in that market. When people need merchandise retail, there are existing malls only ten minutes drive away that would be difficult to compete with. Major reasons for people wanting to live downtown are improved commutes and proximity to nightlife and entertainment. Also, the economic multiplier of arena events rely on nightlife and restaurant facilities to get those arena goers spending money.

I'm not saying that department stores, music shops, newstands, bookstores, clothing retailers, art galleries, sex toy shops, pedicurists, lamp shops,etc., are not desired, but in our culture the primary use of downtown retail spots will continue to be food and entertainment for quite some time.

(Also, we should note that Prohibition is over, so these won't be speakeasies ;) ).

People who live uptown and work uptown have lunches and evenings out of the office. Entertainment and food would be primary money makers in that market. When people need merchandise retail, there are existing malls only ten minutes drive away that would be difficult to compete with. Major reasons for people wanting to live downtown are improved commutes and proximity to nightlife and entertainment. Also, the economic multiplier of arena events rely on nightlife and restaurant facilities to get those arena goers spending money.

I'm not saying that department stores, music shops, newstands, bookstores, clothing retailers, art galleries, sex toy shops, pedicurists, lamp shops,etc., are not desired, but in our culture the primary use of downtown retail spots will continue to be food and entertainment for quite some time.

While part of the push of living uptown is to be able to have shorter commutes and such, many people move uptown so that they won't have to rely on their cars in order to get to retail of any sort. Most CBD's country and worldwide have well more than a mall's worth of retail at their bases. Downtown already has a good deal of restaurants at its core but not enough places to shop. This is primarily the reason why there is little to no life in uptown compared to most (but not all) major cities. If uptown is to become a more pedestrian driven market, then give people more places to go. You can only be entertained and fed so much before the variety goes away. We shouldn't rely on our "sprawl malls," there SHOULD be MUCH more retail downtown. Especially catering to business professional clothing lines. Heck, with the NHOF being built this decade, a tourist shop may even spring up. That is something our city severely lacks, shops that prey on tourists.

In many cities I have been to visiting friends, they would talk about going to downtown to shop. SouthPark causes this conflict as many of Charlotte's high end retailers are attracted to that area. This causes people to drive there, causing more traffic problems for our city and less activity in our core. I wish we didn't have sprawl malls, but that can't be helped. People love their cars here.

I do not feel that the Epicentre should become the next Landing of Jacksonville, FL. Those were the primary examples of shops that should not have been put near the core of a downtown district. While the restaurants are booming in that center, many of shops can't stay open for more than a couple years before they go under. That is because they did not have very many clothing stores and, rather, had a lot of specialty stores you mostly see in malls. Those types of stores can only be successful after a significant retail environment is established uptown. I also believe book/newstand stores should have more of presense in uptown as they would prey on the business people working there.

In summary, yes, Epicentre needs retail, and a lot of it. If we want people to live, visit, and spend their money downtown, you have to give them more reasons to go there. People can go see movies anywhere, but if you have a concentration of retail, people are more likely to visit it as a destination. hope they have the movie theatre there because I plan on moving downtown and do not want to have to rely on my car. The fewer people that drive their cars, the larger the taxi industry. The larger the taxi industry, the greater our tourism draw appears and the easier it is for tourists (yes, we will some day have some) to get around.

I just don't get it. What kind of retail did you guys think would go at EpiCentre?

Clothing chains and other national retailers will almost certainly be going to the Metropolitan Midtown project, which is walkable from a Gold Rush route. EpiCentre, however, has always been billed as a place for entertainment retail. So they've pursued nightlife establishments, restaurants, bowling, a movie theatre, etc. There might end up being one or two neighborhood retailers like a nail place and a dry cleaner and maybe one or two boutique clothing stores. But honestly, if this place was filled with clothing shops, I would hardly ever go there. I'm excited to have an entertainment complex with restaurants that are not available downtown now. I'm excited (tentatively) about getting to walk to a movie every once in a while.

We can't have every retailer in the world now that we've hit a 10k population. I think the phase that is under construction is pursuing three goals: continued densification and population growth, increasing food and entertainment retail to multiply economic impact of downtown workers and visitors, and building high-volume chain retailers in Midtown.

There was another project where the stated goal was to lease to non-chain local boutiques and small businesses: Elizabeth Ave. Even with public investment, that project is moving at a snails pace.

Aussie, while I agree with your goals, I just think we can't have it instantaneously. We are still trying to build up to critical mass so that other retailing types can survive. But don't worry, Center City Partners seems to be actively pursuing a department store for uptown. You very well have that when you move downtown.

Well honestly the Midtown project is still a suburban mall with a few apartments thrown in. It it surrounded by very low density housing, some floodzones, and a major highway, I-277. And Home Depot and Target are big box retailers that most people are going to drive too. It's just the same as it was when it was Charlottetown Mall 40 years ago. It sucked retail life out of downtown then, and it will do that now. It is good to see it finally torn down, but they really ought not to have approved a project, with government guarantees no less, that is going to compete with retailers that might have considered moving into the CBD. What would have been much more exciting would have been if this project was on North Tryon.

You can put perfume on the pig, but at the end of the day, its still a pig.

Well, we can hope that after the Met is complete, we will have more density that way towards it to make it a "part" of our downtown. It's not that long of a walk from the complex site to the square.

Edit: Yea, the wall of the omni hotel, facing the Epicentre, is an eyesore. Something needs to be done about it.

Edited by UrbanCharlotte

Well honestly the Midtown project is still a suburban mall with a few apartments thrown in. It it surrounded by very low density housing, some floodzones, and a major highway, I-277. And Home Depot and Target are big box retailers that most people are going to drive too. It's just the same as it was when it was Charlottetown Mall 40 years ago. It sucked retail life out of downtown then, and it will do that now. It is good to see it finally torn down, but they really ought not to have approved a project, with government guarantees no less, that is going to compete with retailers that might have considered moving into the CBD. What would have been much more exciting would have been if this project was on North Tryon.

You can put perfume on the pig, but at the end of the day, its still a pig.

I'll take both pigs, if they are pigs.

The big box retail tenants are designed to prevent central district residents from driving out to 485 areas for similar retailers. The rest is an urban design but tenants that would go in a mall typically or places like Birkdale or Philips Place. If 5-8 story buildings covering multiple blocks with a 15 story residential tower, built around a grid, with decked parking is suburban, then I sure hope we got a lot more suburban stuff in this city. ;)

As for preventing similar retail from going uptown, I'm not sure that is such a big deal. As you already said, the tenants are very much like traditional mall or suburban center businesses. I'd rather uptown be filled with entertainment, food, neighborhood, and possibly a department store or two.

I had read somewhere that Epicenter had filed a petition to allow some signage that would otherwise be outside of the allowed ordinance. Anybody remember that?

I hope that is true. While downtown is well kept and looks very uniform, that takes away from a city's character. If every block continuously has the same bland look as the last, then what kind of impression does that leave on our city? Luckily there are a few spurts with character, but unfortunately not enough to make an impact.

Most of the people that I know who have been through Charlotte tell me that it is a very nice, well kept, neat city. They say they love that about it. I think a city needs a little grit and ruggedness. I do think it's a mistake for everything to be the same. I hope the new developments such as this can become more creative in all aspects.

I hope that is true. While downtown is well kept and looks very uniform, that takes away from a city's character. If every block continuously has the same bland look as the last, then what kind of impression does that leave on our city? Luckily there are a few spurts with character, but unfortunately not enough to make an impact.

What I am hoping for is a feel that is emerging around 6th and Tryon. I love that part of town at night, and really wish it would extend down toward the new arena. Downtown is finally starting to get a diverse entertainment feel around that part of town, but it definately needs work. A walk from 7th and Tryon toward 5th is filled with people on a Saturday night... The past couple of Saturdays a jazz band playing horns is in the Hearst courtyard raising collections to go compete in L.A.. Meanwhile, a very diverse and excited crowd stands by watching... further you pass a building packed with clubs, and turning left brings you past more clubs all the way to right about where the parking decks are after you pass Buckhead Saloon... Then you reach the arena which is packed everynow and then with people... It would be nice if the epicentre kind of fed into this with maybe latenight bowling and an extremely nice movie theater that could one day host movie premiers for the city... I just see this section of town eventually giving our city an exciting vibe... I really hope that the Epicentre plays into this with signage and activity. It would also be nice if Levine did too ;)

There's an article in today's observer about Outdoor advertising on the rise http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/business/14581433.htm

You may have noticed Bank of America Corp. billboards around uptown with coy messages like, "The Home of Higher Standards."

Now the Charlotte bank is taking a new advertising tack, installing a fence mural this week that will surround three sides of the EpiCentre entertainment complex under construction near Bobcats Arena. It, too, will be plastered with Queen City-centric slogans like: "Here in Charlotte, you can find downtown, uptown."

It's the first time the nation's No. 2 bank by assets has taken its message to a Charlotte construction site. The fence is scheduled to start going up late today and should be complete by midweek.

That is a cool view of the top of the tower.

Anybody know if they are going to do any work on that walkway over College? It looks pretty beat up on the webcam, although this might have been caused by the convention center implosion.