210 Trade | EpiCentre

monsoon

I just got word from my mom that they actually stopped signing contracts at 4 this afternoon because it was getting to hectic. She said they are now starting to hand out reservations for specific signing times. She was unable to give me an updated number on just how many units have sold today, but I would bet its up to at least 70-75 by now.

One of the downsides of this project is that at least from this vantage point, it is not a very people friendly place on the street. This is much like the lifeless streetscape found on S. College street and a lot could be done to make this much better. They have fallen into the monumental skyscraper paradox in this design. i.e. It's nice to look at from a distance, but does nothing for the urban fabric. It's disappointing as this is a big opportunity lost to add more life to the street. To quote another well respected member of this forum that I spoke to about the retail aspect of the design, "it is really lacking".

post-5-1150412807_thumb.jpg

I understand where everyone is coming from on talking about the lack of pedestrian friendliness, but you have to understand codes and how it works with the site. The site topography slopes and there are certain ADA requirements that must be met. So having these steps on the sides is needed to create a level walking surface throughout the complex that meets College Street. Just thought I'd add some "reality" points to the topic at hand.

But there is no reason to build blank walls as they have done above. Another level of retail could have gone there. I don't understand why skyscraper designers don't consider what the sides and backside of their project do to a city. This is a huge amount of area that will be as dead as it was when the Convention Center was there.

I think it's difficult to tell from this static model how lively that sidewalk will be. A lot is going to depend on what's behind those windows. If the doors are locked and the shades constantly drawn, then yes... Dead Zone. But if those are storefronts with easy accessability, then I don't see a problem here. Any way you look at it, it's a lot better than the white brick barrier that was there for 30 yrs.

I understand where everyone is coming from on talking about the lack of pedestrian friendliness, but you have to understand codes and how it works with the site. The site topography slopes and there are certain ADA requirements that must be met. So having these steps on the sides is needed to create a level walking surface throughout the complex that meets College Street. Just thought I'd add some "reality" points to the topic at hand.

BryanH is dead on. Metro, you happened to pick the least pedestrian friendly ingress/egress point in the whole center to criticize. The grades are such that stairs were absolutely necessary here, and I don't see any blank walls, I see lots of storefronts and signage spots. There's no way to fit 300,000 sf of retail all facing inwards in this thing.

Don't forget that the model is by and for the condo sales. They aren't really depicting the details of the actual ground level. That same vantage point that you just pointed out won't be solid glass, but will actually be tons of retail. Here is the rendering of the same spot, only this one was done for the developer of the retail part.

future_photo_epicentre1.jpg

This project will not be a dead zone. I'm confident of it.

One of the downsides of this project is that at least from this vantage point, it is not a very people friendly place on the street. This is much like the lifeless streetscape found on S. College street and a lot could be done to make this much better. They have fallen into the monumental skyscraper paradox in this design. i.e. It's nice to look at from a distance, but does nothing for the urban fabric. It's disappointing as this is a big opportunity lost to add more life to the street. To quote another well respected member of this forum that I spoke to about the retail aspect of the design, "it is really lacking".

I'd have to agree with Metro here, although will have to hold out until we see some more details. (always the optomist). Right now all we see are green glass with no interior and a green door. If some of these doors were for restaurants and there was outdoor/sidewalk seating it would change things dramatically. Add signage to that and even outdoor displays and things will be much different. As long as the college and Trade st doors are not "back" doors we'll be ok.

I'll also add that wouldn't it be great if they did above and below grade establishments. Kinda like NYC where you have an entrance at street level and stairs leading 1 floor down to a great restaurant, live music venue, club, bar, etc. Double the # of entrances at the street, but establishments on 2 floors. The village in NYC has alot of this. Will never happen here, but I can dream.

Edit: Well, D beat me to the post. Look how much outdoor seating, lighting, and signage does to the streetscape.

Edited by Mobuchu

Don't forget that the model is by and for the condo sales. They aren't really depicting the details of the actual ground level. That same vantage point that you just pointed out won't be solid glass, but will actually be tons of retail. Here is the rendering of the same spot, only this one was done for the developer of the retail part.

This project will not be a dead zone. I'm confident of it.

I agree. At first glance of the models I thought the same thing of the hotel and retail. They seem really bland and awkward. But, as stated many times before, this was only to show off the tower, not the retail, and not the hotel. I imagine the hotel will also be slightly more flashy than our friendly model might suggest.

As for blank walls, I see one in the picture of that side of the model, and that is behind the fountain. The fountain looks to be a new addition to the original design posted by dubone. I doubt, however, that this is an indication that the electricity on the street level will be nothing less than this illustration shows. How could they call it an "entertainment complex" otherwise?

I doubt, however, that this is an indication that the electricity on the street level will be nothing less than this illustration shows. How could they call it an "entertainment complex" otherwise?

I am reminded of depictions of the arena showing all kinds of "electric" street life. The reality is that most times of the day there are 0 pedestrians around the place because it is a very people unfriendly place The devil is in the details and while it's easy to draw people on a sidwalk, it takes more thought and care to build something that might achieve the samething. I can already see significant differences between the old rendering and the model being shown of the epicenter.

One recently built venue that draws people in is Imaginon. It seems everytime I drive by, there are quite a few families around that immediate area around Reid's and Imaginon. It is on a much smaller scale than I would hope for at 210 Trade however. I think the project is going to have to put some outdoor projects in the "streets" if they expect people to wander through. Unique outdoor art is essential for garnering visitors IMO. Chicago has done a superb job of drawing people in this way:

Crown%20Fountain%20Millennium%20Park%20Chicago%207-04.jpg

I went to Bentley's last night for a drink and stopped by the model on the 27th floor of the Plaza building...outstanding views! It was my first time up that high in Charlotte. The city's really beautiful from up there. Everything in this place looks top notch, though, from the hardwoods, granite, fixtures, Kitchenaid Professional appliances, closet designs, etc.

I want one. :)

I just got word from my mom that they actually stopped signing contracts at 4 this afternoon because it was getting to hectic. She said they are now starting to hand out reservations for specific signing times. She was unable to give me an updated number on just how many units have sold today, but I would bet its up to at least 70-75 by now.

Wow! A highrise luxury condo building telling us the sales figures...and the sales are actually happening. I guess the buyers aren't being scared with knowledge...

Can't wait to go to the open house today! They have great marketing materials also -- got an invite in the mail yesterday that included a pop-up of the building when you opened the card!

I went to Bentley's last night for a drink and stopped by the model on the 27th floor of the Plaza building...outstanding views! It was my first time up that high in Charlotte. The city's really beautiful from up there. Everything in this place looks top notch, though, from the hardwoods, granite, fixtures, Kitchenaid Professional appliances, closet designs, etc.

I want one. :)

Bentleys is amazing, but you must go to the charlotte city club, its 5 stories higher, and there are 30 ft ceilings and 20 ft tall windows, its just simply amazing. I've had the opportunity to go up there on several occasions, its gorgeous.

Back on subject, I went by the 210 trade sales center, and I don't know if its because even in my old age (haha) I have a vivid imagination, but looking at the model all I could see was life and motion. I could see people everywhere, on the two or three floors of retail, a concert going on on the rooftop of the middle building, and twenty-somethings with eyes glittering, reflecting light from the city around. Its going to be a magnificent place with lots of life, and hopefully lots of signage, I am more than anxious.

Edited by alpha.type.alpha

:w00t: Selling out a 50 story condo tower in a week?

I wouldn't be surprised. I stopped by the sales center yesterday as it was opening at 11:00. There were folks at the front of the line with expandable canvas chairs, bags of snacks, that had apparantly been waiting for a few hours to be first in line. The line then began to cross the lobby of 201 Trade. The sales staff came out looking beseiged and flustered, gave out instructions for how they were going to process everyone there and began taking contracts. People couldn't seem to get in fast enough and the friend and his agent that I left there stayed for 3 hours before getting in. The only potential hold up for the "sold out" goal seems to be a bottleneck for agents taking contracts <-- great problem to have!

Vive la Epicentre!

The only potential hold up for the "sold out" goal seems to be a bottleneck for agents taking contracts <-- great problem to have!

Vive la Epicentre!

Which has already happened, hence why they didn't open until 11 am yesterday! My mom just told be the small units on the backside of the building are already all gone. I think its safe to say that half the building is already sold!

This is what I expected, 210 trade is kicking the vue's butt, this has to be discouraging for a building that has done nothing but mass advertising, and is only sold out 50%, but then again the Vue is way over there, and 210 trade is in the middle of everything. I think that once this building sells out we'll see the sales at the vue pick up, I am very suprised how the sales are going on this building, incredible.

My mom just told be the small units on the backside of the building are already all gone. I think its safe to say that half the building is already sold!

So if we use The Vue logic of buyers thinking all the good units are gone if you tell people how many have sold, then wouldn't the small units on the back of the building not sell as most of us would think they are not the "best" units?

I'm not sure I think this will spur sales at any other current project, but likely, IMHO, it will get developers moving forward on new projects if they have been watching to see how the market it doing currently and with a new announced and marketed building. Honestly I think The Vues presumably slow sales have had some thinking that it was the market not the project. I think this is a telling tale. 210 is not "cheap" in price per foot or amenties, it is quite comparable to The Vue from what I could see.

I honestly don't think there is anything wrong with the vue i don't think anyone does, i think its an awesome project, but I think that 210 trade has a huge advantage over it. The reason why people have been hesitating on the vue, is because they wanted to see what was up with the 210 trade project, because as far as entertainment options amenities, and proximity to other things 210 trade kicks the vues butt in all respects. I think that once this building starts to sell out the market will switch to the next best thing, the vue. I think the speed at which 210 trade is apparently selling is showing us all, the potential of this market. I am going to be honest, I was doubting the market, now I'm wondering when our next 50 story building is going to get built.

Edited by Rickydavisfan21