210 Trade | EpiCentre

monsoon

I agree. It is getting prettier every month. As far as bland, I don't see it. The only building that is a disappointment is the UNC building in first ward. In any case, I prefer bland to parking lot any day.

I actually disagree about the UMC Building I think it's better than box-like buildings like 101 Independence Center. But our skyline is one of the best and will get better. :) 

Are you kidding me? Have you ever walked around downtown Denver? They have blocks and blocks of beautiful buildings. Way more street life. Way more retail. Way more everything that makes it feel like a city and not a oversized office park. 

Yes I agree but the skyline is boring. Come on, it's box buildings nothing unique like BoA or Duke! 

Edited by Piedmont767

No doubt about the street life. Denver is the best city I've ever been in, hands down. Everything about its layout and construction is perfect.

I mean, just look at their street grid! It never ends!

EDIT: Even more awesome shots of Denver, even though it's woefully off-topic. 

This thing

This other thing

This house

These dang houses

This entire damn intersection! (follow the street southwest for storefronts, and check out the streetcar!)

Okay, no more...

Edited by SgtCampsalot

No doubt about the street life. Denver is the best city I've ever been in, hands down. Everything about its layout and construction is perfect.

I mean, just look at their street grid! It never ends!

EDIT: Even more awesome shots of Denver, even though it's woefully off-topic. 

This thing

This other thing

This house

These dang houses

This entire damn intersection! (follow the street southwest for storefronts, and check out the streetcar!)

Okay, no more...

We don't have a street grid cause our city expanded quite rapidly and we rushed to connect everything. 

We have a lot houses and buildings like that, especially in historic areas such as NoDa, Elizabeth, PM and Dilworth etc. 

Every project in Charlotte is not going to win the best building  of the year in the USA.  I am just happy  to see the rebar cover with a building.  The EpiCentre is not the world's best  entertainment-mixed use project,.but it is the only one of its kind in North Carolina.  To look where Charlotte has come in the last 30 years is amazing.  If you moved from Charlotte in 1985 to another country and did not see anything about Charlotte and moved back here in 2015, you would be blown away.   Be happy and enjoy the ride.

Agreed. That's why I'm an advocate for having the best ground floor possible. The ground floor has the most direct influence on the look and feel for pedestrians city.

• Like 1

Marriott buying Starwood - the combined company will have all 3 hotels in the epicentre 

http://www.cnbc.com/2015/11/16/marriott-to-buy-starwood-for-122b-in-cashstock.html

Yeah this is pretty enormous news....wonder what this means for the future of hotels here, now we REALLY have a yit ton of Marriott brands uptown. 

Also, construction fencing is up all around the base and inspectors have been on site all week, including this morning.

Yeah this is pretty enormous news....wonder what this means for the future of hotels here, now we REALLY have a yit ton of Marriott brands uptown. 

Also, construction fencing is up all around the base and inspectors have been on site all week, including this morning.

I wonder how it will affect Starwood brand hotels i.e. Westin hotels? Marriott owns quite a few hotels Uptown, and the only ones they don't (off the top of my head) are: 

-Omni 

-Dunhill 

-Hilton 

-Holiday Inn 

-Hyatt 

Skyline interest and street level interest are completely different. Philadelphia has a great Center City skyline, but its most interesting parts are down Passyunk Avenue or Old City. Okay, fine, we can't compete with Philly--it's old, it has tons of "backbone" in the form of cheap real estate. How about a more modern city like Vancouver? Or, completely cheating here, Saigon?

Essentially, there are two things competing: vibrancy needs cheap street frontage. This allows people with a more marginal business idea (or just less business experience) to open a boutique or a little cafe or a bookshop. That, in turn, attracts people, who can support more high-end retail and restaurants. On the other hand, architectural interest needs money. There is only one tower in Saigon that is impressive, Bitexco. There are no impressive towers in Passyunk, Northern Liberties, Fishtown, or Old City. The towers in Vancouver aren't exactly contributing a lot to vibrancy.

Charlotte is trying to get better. It'll take some ugly buildings, some missteps, and probably another cycle or two before one of our nascent areas becomes as good as some of the areas in the cities above... we'll probably never compete with Philly or Saigon, they're just too big and dense. Still, we're getting better.

41 minutes ago, asthasr said:

Skyline interest and street level interest are completely different. Philadelphia has a great Center City skyline, but its most interesting parts are down Passyunk Avenue or Old City. Okay, fine, we can't compete with Philly--it's old, it has tons of "backbone" in the form of cheap real estate. How about a more modern city like Vancouver? Or, completely cheating here, Saigon?

Essentially, there are two things competing: vibrancy needs cheap street frontage. This allows people with a more marginal business idea (or just less business experience) to open a boutique or a little cafe or a bookshop. That, in turn, attracts people, who can support more high-end retail and restaurants. On the other hand, architectural interest needs money. There is only one tower in Saigon that is impressive, Bitexco. There are no impressive towers in Passyunk, Northern Liberties, Fishtown, or Old City. The towers in Vancouver aren't exactly contributing a lot to vibrancy.

Charlotte is trying to get better. It'll take some ugly buildings, some missteps, and probably another cycle or two before one of our nascent areas becomes as good as some of the areas in the cities above... we'll probably never compete with Philly or Saigon, they're just too big and dense. Still, we're getting better.

Vancouver is extremely expensive.  Or at least it has gotten expensive in the past 5 years or so.  I was just recently there and I was amazed at how dense it was and how many skyscrapers are being built.  Some friends I met there were telling me how most of the new buildings are owned by Chinese investors.  Vancouver considering it is close to the same population as Charlotte is a lot more dense and also more expensive.  It could set an example however regardless.  We need more density and we need more retail in uptown.  I can not stress that enough!!  Enough with the streel level parking garages! It's so depressing.  Put parking elsewhere....underground...find other places.  Street level needs to be retail.  End of rant.