210 Trade | EpiCentre

monsoon

6 minutes ago, grodney said:

Vape shop next to the light rail is gone.  That didn't last long.

Really??!! That's great news. That had no business being in Epi (or anywhere really. Stop vaping people, you look like morons). Now next up to close hopefully: the one in Brevard Court, aka, the only bad thing about Brevard Court.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Jayvee said:

Really??!! That's great news. That had no business being in Epi (or anywhere really. Stop vaping people, you look like morons). Now next up to close hopefully: the one in Brevard Court, aka, the only bad thing about Brevard Court.

Why is it SO bad to have one uptown (or anywhere)? Probably fits in best at the epicenter, honestly. I don't do it, but the new backlash stigma against vaping doesn't seem to have any more substance than thinking it looks douchey, and isn't doing any favors to the people who legitimately use it as a less harmful cigarette alternative or stepping stone to quitting. The vape shop as a place to hang out will probably be a short-lived trend but don't hold your breath for vaping to go away entirely.

6 hours ago, Jayvee said:

This is obnoxious so I'm surprised that I agree 100%.

My 50 year old brother (who never before smoked a legal substance in his life) just started vaping.  Aside from people trying to quit smoking (and why ANYONE started in the last 30 years is beyond me), I'm completely baffled by anyone who vapes.  That said, I'm sure my behavior is similarly baffling to others...

• Like 2

If you really want to weep for the future try looking up videos of vaping competitions. That's a few minutes of your life you will never get back. Seriously though, a vape shop doesn't bother me since many of them have a somewhat stylish lounge look to them. It's the ones that essentially look like a smoke shop that I can't stand.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, go_vertical said:

If you really want to weep for the future try looking up videos of vaping competitions. That's a few minutes of your life you will never get back. Seriously though, a vape shop doesn't bother me since many of them have a somewhat stylish lounge look to them. It's the ones that essentially look like a smoke shop that I can't stand.

Are they like BBQ competitions or more like hot dog eating competitions?   I can understand the competing on things like taste and vape quality (if there is such a thing?), but something like how much can I vape at one time or in a time frame is a bit baffling to me. 

As much as I hate smoking and electronic smoking (it's not as bad as cigarettes, but they advertise it as 'safe' when it still has horrible chemicals in it), the vape shops don't bother me that much. In Europe they have "Tabac" shops on almost every block, though the distribution of retail products amongst the various types of shops over there is very confusing. Why I only get batteries and stamps at smoke shops makes zero sense, but it at least provides a reason for non-smokers to go there. Anyway, retail is retail, and I'd rather have a shop that I don't like than nothing at all.

17 hours ago, Jayvee said:

In other news, this hotel seems to be moving at a GLACIAL pace compared to the Springhill or Kimpton, why is this?

So that when the next downturn happens, they don't finish and we are left with it half built again, lol.

On ‎7‎/‎9‎/‎2016 at 6:02 PM, Miesian Corners said:

I'd assume it's because they have to deal with Epicentre. LRT, and CATS. 

It is also much more complicated of a building.  The first few floors are always the slowest, and those first few floors were doozies, and then after those the floor plate changes again, which slows down the construction time.  It's almost like moving on and starting another building.  I would expect construction to be visibly faster here shortly though.

Edited by DEnd
  • Like 1

On 7/8/2016 at 3:40 PM, caterpillar2 said:

Vape may be a good topic for another thread since this one is supposed to be for 210 Trade?

On 7/8/2016 at 5:02 PM, birky said:

Should we create a new thread? "Vaping in Charlotte"??

Nah. Sidebar conversations happen all the time. No big deal.

• 2 weeks later...
On August 1, 2016 at 7:15 PM, Nick2 said:

I know we didn't get the skyscraper we had hoped for this project but it's still excellent infill.

210_trade.png

Source

Still looks pretty sweet to me. Here is a rendering I don't think anyone has seen.

Screen Shot 2016-08-08 at 5.33.57 PM.png