210 Trade | EpiCentre

monsoon

27 minutes ago, hinsp0 said:

You build a lot of speed sliding down anything if you use enough hair gel.  That’s the, as I call it, “Epic Center” at its finest.

If it wasn’t so controversial to downvote people these days, I would downvote the very mentioning of ever calling it the epic Center. I hate when people call it the epic center. 

• Like 2

I will be honest that after a "few" beers in the EpiCenter that canopy looked much more like a slide than I care to admit, but for obvious reasons I did not do it. Kinda surprised it has taken this long for some idiot to get drunk enough to try.

I'm just mad the guy stole my idea. :tw_sweat_smile:

Edited by Squid7085
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
40 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

In defense of the EpiCenter and I hear people say we don't have the nightlife like big ole Nashvegas does but here is a concentration of it yet it is not good enough to many. 

https://www.charlotteagenda.com/132165/20-reasons-epicentre-is-awesome/

Good article. 

I think the issue with EpiCenter is that there is nothing special about it.  It's just a collection of bars/clubs that you could find in any city.  I think it's cool that there is a complex but it's nothing that someone visiting from out of town is going to say 'WOW' about.   

What's a little shocking to me is how there isn't a hotel that has gone 'all in' on some sort of outdoor pool complex.   With our weather here and the number of 20  somethings, it's crazy to me there is not a hotel with a very large pool/outdoor complex.  I know the  Le Méridien does this but I have been seen larger pools in the backyard of houses.   Seems like a huge opportunity do 'day drinking' events for people who don't want to go to a brewery.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, KJHburg said:

In defense of the EpiCenter and I hear people say we don't have the nightlife like big ole Nashvegas does but here is a concentration of it yet it is not good enough to many. 

https://www.charlotteagenda.com/132165/20-reasons-epicentre-is-awesome/

Good article. 

I think the Epicentre is a great asset this city has and that we sometimes take it for granted or dismiss.  Is the Epicentre for everyone? No, but it does it's purpose well in my opinion.  It's a pretty cool, multistory, open-air venue, that provides all kinds of entertainment and dining options.  I would put money on it that it is probably #1 "tourist" spot for visitors (outside of sporting events).  If I recall accurately, it was the #1 Uber pickup/dropoff location in all of Charlotte.  Although I don't frequent the Epicentre too much, I appreciate the entertainment factor it brings to Uptown.  That side of town would be VERY dull without it.  I think once CTC is gone, that stretch of Trade could become really special with the continuation of the 'entertainment district' (especially being right across from the Spectrum Center).  They may be known as NashVegas, but we are CharLit lol.

cjd5050:  Have you been to the new Coin Bar at the Omni?  It's pretty cool up there...20ft tv to watch the games, a nice bar, and outdoor space for games/parties.  I think more hotels will do renovations like this now.  The Holiday Inn uptown surprisingly has an awesome rooftop pool area but needs some reno.  I really think the new Kimpton missed one by not putting a pool where their 'Outdoor Yoga' is (however, may not get much sunlight).  Craft City Social Club which is the Le Meridien/Sheraton pool has set the bar for public pool parties.  I know the owners of World (formerly club Label) were talking about putting in an outdoor pool for that Vegas vibe, but not sure about that.

Edited by CharlotteWkndBuzz
  • Like 3

37 minutes ago, CharlotteWkndBuzz said:

cjd5050:  I agree.  Have you been to the new Coin Bar at the Omni?  It's incredible.  I think more hotels will do renovations like this now.  The Holiday Inn uptown surprisingly has an awesome rooftop pool area but needs some reno.  I really think the new Kimpton missed one by not putting a pool where their 'Outdoor Yoga' is.  Craft City Social Club which is the Le Meridien/Sheraton pool has set the bar for public pool parties.  I know the owners of World (formerly club Label) were talking about putting in an outdoor pool for that Vegas vibe, but not sure about that.

Have not been to Coin Bar but that looks outstanding.   I wonder if The Music Factory could find a location for a large pool at their complex.  They already are booking some of the bigger DJs but it's just night gigs.   When you're paying $50k to book you need to cover that.  

26 minutes ago, cjd5050 said:

Have not been to Coin Bar but that looks outstanding.   I wonder if The Music Factory could find a location for a large pool at their complex.  They already are booking some of the bigger DJs but it's just night gigs.   When you're paying $50k to book you need to cover that.  

Yeah, Steve Aoki was just at World this past Saturday!  If World had a pool, they would have to be open during the day...That's why I think the best spot would be at VBGB.  It's the perfect outdoorsy type of place where a pool would fit well with the beach volleyball courts.  And it's open throughout the day.  They have space to accommodate a large pool too.

20 minutes ago, Jayvee said:

The problem with the Epicentre is that it has fallen into disrepair. It’s run down and just ehhhh

Yeah, seems like they need to do another round of renovations.  Last one I know of is when they installed the video boards and Rooftop 210.  Aesthetically speaking, they need to make it more appealing somehow.  Hopefully, once the hotel is finished and they remove all the scaffolding they freshen up the area. 

Edited by CharlotteWkndBuzz
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, CharlotteWkndBuzz said:

Yeah, Steve Aoki was just at World this past Saturday!  If World had a pool, they would have to be open during the day...That's why I think the best spot would be at VBGB.  It's the perfect outdoorsy type of place where a pool would fit well with the beach volleyball courts.  And it's open throughout the day.  They have space to accommodate a large pool too.

I would love this but I think it makes more sense as a hotel pool.  See the W in Scottsdale for the model.  Bottle service by day, no DJ.  Then upscale lounge by night.  Easily pays for itself.  Alternatively, around the corner is Maya Day and Night Club.  Some thing like this could work in Charlotte.  Completely different scene than VGBG, but I think the Music Factory is the right spot.  The pool makes for a nice setting all year.  Of course Scottsdale also has the luxury of having its own luxury airport and being a 60 minute flight to Vegas.  Pretty much every major DJ has played there in the last 3 years.  If you like Aoki, go check out his youtube clips of jumping off the DJ booth into the pool at Maya.

46 minutes ago, Sigma said:

Replace the EIFS with something attractive / quality to start with. I get the sense the place has just been neglected from a management / upkeep perspective. Hope their reserves are solid to resurface soon.

I have heard that CIM is a pretty awful landlord, at least with this property.  I have had some other interactions with them, which have not been that positive.  They seem to acquire assets with only a rough sketch of what to do with them long term.  Then they languish with no real plan.  See their acquisition of Cole Capital for a prime example of how not to manage a business.

• 2 months later...

Slightly off-topic...I saw this ad at the Epicentre recently.  I've always felt that a center-city location for an REI would make a killing in Charlotte (they're located in more urban areas in many other cities in the US).  Epicentre seems like a prime location for them if there is a space large enough.  Anyone know of any rumors of a move to center-city from one of the dwindling suburban malls?  Or is this "just" an ad?  IMG_20180906_135018.thumb.jpg.b4da0e5a62146ab5c86cf5120de35089.jpg

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, pathb said:

Slightly off-topic...I saw this ad at the Epicentre recently.  I've always felt that a center-city location for an REI would make a killing in Charlotte (they're located in more urban areas in many other cities in the US).  Epicentre seems like a prime location for them if there is a space large enough.  Anyone know of any rumors of a move to center-city from one of the dwindling suburban malls?  Or is this "just" an ad?  IMG_20180906_135018.thumb.jpg.b4da0e5a62146ab5c86cf5120de35089.jpg

I know there was a LOI at one of the far off the future projects, but that was 2 years ago.

Edited by Guest