210 Trade | EpiCentre

monsoon

13 minutes ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

^ that looks better than the pictures shared. In person it may have been different, but the all star epicenter looked tacky. Normal epicenter looks cosmopolitan and big city 

Thank you! That picture was taken today! I agree! But I just wish there was actual retail stores in the EpiCentre all the time! 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, tarhoosier said:

How soon will EpiCenter(re) be replaced with tower?

Not likely in the short term.  It is a complicated project as a condominium where one owner owns the retail, the hotels own their sites so unless the main owner does something I would say sometime in the future but years off. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, tarhoosier said:

How soon will EpiCenter(re) be replaced with tower?

Dont they already have a relatively newly opened hotel tower? I dont see them selling out too soon with that plus the large crowds it regularly draws in every week. Also there are still many available plots open in uptown so it's not like developers are desperate for space if they have the type of money to even consider buying and building on the Epicenter plot

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Trickbot said:

Dont they already have a relatively newly opened hotel tower? I dont see them selling out too soon with that plus the large crowds it regularly draws in every week. Also there are still many available plots open in uptown so it's not like developers are desperate for space if they have the type of money to even consider buying and building on the Epicenter plot

I'm confused...it is closing?

2 minutes ago, Jayvee said:

No, epicentre is going to be around for a long time. i wouldnt even get the thought of it being demo'd for a building in your head

I didn't I was just trying to figure out why that was the topic...I would hate for Charlotte to lose that. It beings more life to Uptown than anything. I actually wish they could make a second one in another location. 

1 hour ago, j-man said:

I didn't I was just trying to figure out why that was the topic...I would hate for Charlotte to lose that. It beings more life to Uptown than anything. I actually wish they could make a second one in another location. 

Near the stadium and ballpark would be great. That area sees a lot of foot traffic. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, TheOneRJ said:

Near the stadium and ballpark would be great. That area sees a lot of foot traffic. 

Omg yes! but i want something for the north side of uptown. Like in the area between Skyhouse  and the new Market 42 apartments. Oh yeah and a park like RB to go along with it. lol

Edited by j-man

21 minutes ago, CharlotteWkndBuzz said:

I know Tepper is going to potentially build his idea of an entertainment district somewhere near his stadium, but I always envisioned a LA Live type of atmosphere where CTC is now (Also where I would locate the Jordan/Nike Brand Experience (Half museum & half store)).  Anyone been to Orlando and have seen the huge NBC Sports Grill & Brew, I'd put something like that there too.  I picture people flooding out of Spectrum center and that area just becoming a super cool strolling/entertainment district.  I know some on here don't like the signage and bright lights, but I say bring em on (in the right locations) and those couple blocks I consider our entertainment district so to speak (currently).  I like that Times Square effect and would welcome more video boards.  The future Moxy Hotel next to CTC fits that trendy/party vibe too.  I like that stretch of Trade being our entertainment district bc it's in the core of Uptown and the vibe in any 2 block direction from Trade & Tryon is unparalleled. 

We think so much alike! I totally agree with you. I think Charlotte is ready.  And a Nike Museum would be soooo cool. Michael would be right down the road too lol

Edited by j-man

1 hour ago, Eightane said:

Vive la Epi!

And more relevant to the latest discussion, if they spearheaded a similar clustered entertainment block I'd want it to be on the Northside (First Ward) and be branded/populated with businesses that provide a good counterpoint to Epi's lineup. If the first retail superblock we have is more attuned to bars, clubs and entertainment, let's build one that abuts Levineland (and makes him look even worse incidentally, lol) and lure a combo of dry goods and specialty shops. EpiCentre can then gradually evolve its upper club/nightlife spaces to be relevant to basketball or sports since it's closer to both stadiums and the arena, and the second iteration can bill itself according to local charm and added retail density. Make them like brothers from separate mothers. I realize that's more up to individual businesses and where they ultimately WANT to be, but it's a pipe dream that still makes more than its share of sense.

What comes to mind is infill in the parking lot of Optimist Hall. The local flavor/charm will already be there, so...

Now even though it's JUST awkwardly-enough in between the Blue and Silver line stations to be quite as transit-oriented as epi (unless maybe like Atherton, they'll add a stop at 16th Steventually?)..

Maybe in 10-20 years the entire site will be an innovative combo of new and old developments.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hopefully we don't see another epicenter type development. It would be much better to see more 'entertainment districts' like North Tryon/5th Street where bars and restaurants are along a street and give some activity to the street front. It always seems like the epicenter has more empty suites than full ones, and it almost completely turns its back to the street. There are much better ways to do things than the epicenter was done that would do more for uptown.

• Like 1